Vrienden op de Fiets

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Vrienden op de Fiets

Post by Slowroad »

I'm off to the Netherlands in a few weeks and have joined 'Friends of the Bicycle' for budget B&B. I'm wondering about what it'll be like, and particularly how far in advance I'll need to book, as it doesn't say in the address book. Advice from those who have used this would be welcome! I'm used to just turning up at campsites so this is a bit different.
Cheers!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
martin113

Re: Vrienden op de Fiets

Post by martin113 »

I did the same at the same time of year and every time I wanted to use it people said no they didn't want visitors and recommended me a local full price b and b. Sorry to be negative but have a back up plan. I just stuck to camping.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Ah, that's interesting - and concerning! I'll start contacting people soon. Camping not really an alternative and can't afford ordinary B&B rates. YHA's possible but not enough of them where I want to go!
Cheers!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
jake

Post by jake »

We've used Vrienden numerous times over the years and have always found them excellent. Booking 4 weeks ahead is usually ok. We've always found the hosts to be very welcoming and helpful. It's much more interesting than staying in a "normal" B&B and the charges are very reasonable. Enjoy.
zed

Post by zed »

It always amuses me the various different experiences people have with things like this. Our first cycling holiday was in Holland about 4 or 5 years ago, mainly to persuade Mrs Z that she might enjoy cycle touring. We used Vrienden exclusively, met some very interesting people (several had cycled all over the world), in a wide variety of accommodation (but always good), and never with more than 2 days notice, (except for our first night after coming off the ferry at Ijmouden, which we were able to book in advance), since we couldn't be sure enough of our daily mileage to be able to do otherwise. We were never turned down once! This was in May.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Yes, very varied experiences! So far I've been offered two out of the three places I need to stay, have booked hostels for two other places. I feel confident that I'll get somewhere for the missing link, I've planned only shortish distances so I've got leeway.
Cheers!
― Peter Golkin
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Used them eight times, lovely ideas and very friendly people.
Two tips: they all want you to take off your cycling shoes before entering the house so the cleats don't damage their floor. And when you arrive do ask where you can eat locally, they don't do evening meals.
Some do not have email so you can print or a letter and post it in an envelope, this arrives quickly, then telephone a few days later. And do ring either on the evening before or in the morning to let them know a rough time that you will arrive, they have proper lives and don't want to wait in for you.
Netherlands is wonderful cycling, very civilised people, good food, cheap. Easy to get to and thoroughly recommended.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thought I'd update this with what happened in the end! Well, it all worked and all the hosts were lovely, I had very comfortable places to stay, some great breakfasts and some fascinating conversations. It took 8 emails to get a host for one night, in retrospect phoning is better, I guess my emails could go into a junk file. I would feel more confident about phoning next time. I'd definately use Vrienden op de Fiets again if I was cycling in The Netherlands out of camping season - though this is slightly unlikely as I love camping there! However, I'm intending to continue my Rhine journey into Germany and there are some Vrienden there too, so maybe I'll do that.
Thanks for all your advice!
― Peter Golkin