Shocking attack on cyclist in Mongolia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LeBrignall

Shocking attack on cyclist in Mongolia

Post by LeBrignall »

Have a read of this - it is a very shocking account that starts like any other day...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 38320&v=1W
iviehoff

Re: Shocking attack on cyclist in Mongolia

Post by iviehoff »

Well, setting off to cross a remote border that few other cyclists have managed to cross without being required to hire vehicular assistance, is not exactly a normal day.

But the denouement is nothing to do with any of that, nor really about cycling. Though, I suppose, cyclists are more likely than other travellers to end up spending the night in such circumstances.
ossie

Post by ossie »

iviehoff wrote:Well, setting off to cross a remote border that few other cyclists have managed to cross without being required to hire vehicular assistance, is not exactly a normal day.

But the denouement is nothing to do with any of that, nor really about cycling. Though, I suppose, cyclists are more likely than other travellers to end up spending the night in such circumstances.

Thats a truly shocking incident, irrespective of remote borders or not I dont think ive seen such an account on CGOAB before. I admire his determination in carrying on (and his right hook)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Absolutely extraordinary story. What on earth possessed that man to act like that? Vodka can’t explain it.

An incident like that would have me begging everyone in sight to take me to the nearest airport with a flight home. Incredible resolve to carry on.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Frightening story! Glad the guy got away.

Vodka does explain it! That hooch on some 'native' peoples can send them crazi! Think North American Indians and what alcohol has done to their peoples. And the Canadian Inuit.

Out and alone I wonder what the local police might do? By 'experience' and hearsay,you carry an American passport(even if America or American people are the most 'hated' in the world,local knowledge knows the US government is going to kick ass if you touch one of its citizens. Result: you will usually get-out-alive. Having an Aussie passport means the Australian government 'cares and will assist you'. In the 60/ 70's it was known as a UK national...no one really cared about you. Well,not from the embassy or wotnot. Yeh,there might be some interest in your case(or might not++),but not as good and as comprehensive as those from the US or Australia. I don't know about Ireland.

Wonder how things are now? I still believe the US holds clout(rightly or wrongly).You don't mess with a yankee!!
Si

Post by Si »

Horrible experience for the chap, but on the other hand that this episode stands out from the norm so much does underline how safe touring really is....
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

What a desperate situation to find yourself in! It's very hard to know if retaliating in self-defence is going to actually lead you to getting into more trouble and possibly lynched or thrown into jail! Getting invited into someone's home as a guest and then ending up getting ferociously attacked by the host is an incredibly frightening and worrying scenario. I can't imagine how it would feel or how I would react.

I'm glad that Will is taking a bit of time out to recover and get himself ready to continue his tour.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

The occasional idiot demonstrates that everyone else is decent