Removing rear dérailleur when flying

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Removing rear dérailleur when flying

Post by 22camels »

Just wanted to see what the consensus is on this.

Many advise to take off the mech when flying.

So far I have flown 11 times and have always kept it on and not had a problem. Should I start taking it off?

I recently got a new touring bike on which (as is the default with steel frames) the derailleur hanger is part of the frame. When I asked the people at the shop (Thorn) if it is a good idea to take off the rear mech for flying, I was advised not to, because when putting it back on I could cross-thread the hole and then might need an expensive frame repair or replacement. Do you think this was just their default advice for the majority of people who are assumed to be not very technically apt, or is it a real possibility? It seems to me that with sufficient care, it would be pretty difficult to cross-thread it..

Obviously it depends on how you pack - hard box/ cardboard box / padded bag / unpadded bag, whether the rear wheel has to come off, whether you have a rack on that would protect the mech to some extent, whether you have a removable hanger (as then you carry a spare one), but my question is not specific to any of those.

I know the hanger itself on a steel frame is probably quite hard to get bent on a flight, but the mech itself could get bent.. I have no experience of straightening bent hangers and mechs.. what worries me in particular is having a mech or hanger which is only slightly bent and me not noticing it, cos at my level of experience it seems it is sometimes not so easy to spot by eye..
tatanab

Re: Removing rear dérailleur when flying

Post by tatanab »

When not using a hard case I fit an old MTB gear protector. http://www.gear-hanger.co.uk/info/derai ... -long/436/ some are much cheaper than this example.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Interesting solution but I guess it won't work if you have a bag that requires you to remove both wheels as the wheel-less skewer would not be able to support the gear protector..
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

22camels wrote:Interesting solution but I guess it won't work if you have a bag that requires you to remove both wheels as the wheel-less skewer would not be able to support the gear protector..
But of course you'd always put a spacer between the frame ends, so I used an old solid axle. Job jobbed!
22camels

Post by 22camels »

thanks I might give that a try
whizzzz

Post by whizzzz »

I have done, seemed like a good idea for five minutes of work. I have a few blocks of wood with nails in I tape into the drop outs to stop the forks and rear end getting squashed out of shape. And its all in a corrugated plastic box. Flew a few times without issue. THe box is kind of handy as you can stuff clothing etc in there to protect the bike and work like a suitcase.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

but the problem with all these methods that involve adding extra reinforcements, is that you have to have them to hand, and you might not, if flying back from somewhere you didn't originally land and when you don't wish to carry the extra weight of bags/boxes/mech protectors/axles/etc and just rely on picking up whatever box/bag you can find.. I like the idea of removing the rear mech but I am wary as I've never done it before..
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

There is usually no problem in removing the rear mech'.(unless it has been seriously overtightened).
Care has to be taken when refitting, making sure it is not cross threaded.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Putting the derailleur back on can be tricky so there is something to be said for the risk of cross threading. Usually it can be minimised by turning the thread backwards until it clicks and then forward as that will engage it with the start of the thread.

I compound the risk by reattaching it on the inside so it sits inside the stays. Its usually also a good idea to put a spacer between the dropouts to stop them getting bent inwards by gorilla baggage handlers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have always taken the rear mech off & attached it to the stay before I bagged my bike. Years ago, I had my rear mech bent when I put my bike in the luggage compartment of a coach, so I'd rather be cautious and not have a problem.

I use the CTC bag, so I don't need to take the wheels off.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've never removed my rear derailleur.

I use an old fashion MTB gear protector. Not like the one above, but one that has two fixing holes, one for mudguard, one for rack. Not that I ever remove the rear wheel anyway, so the other one would work for me.

I have often had to bend back the guard, presumably because it has done its job.

When MTBs first came out there were all sorts of rough and tough extras, eg spoke protectors. Most weren't with the effort, but I always liked the derailleur guard.

Currently sitting in Dubai airport, next stop Korea, lets hope the guard has worked this time!!
whoof

Post by whoof »

I have occasionally removed the rear mech but most I've not. Never had a problem either way. With regarding to spacing drop-out I use these, they are light take up little room and can get them from a bike shop for free.

http://www.merlincycles.com/blog/wp-con ... 68x551.jpg
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Never take my mech off. Never damaged. I have however often cut a small plastic milk carton down and fitted it over the mech with a cable tie. Works fine, disposable and easy to find.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Must be a fairly sturdy plastic milk carton to prevent the mech or hanger from getting bent in an impact?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

If you simply change into bottom gear, so the derailleur is as close to the wheel as possible, that reduces risk of derailleur damage.