tracking down a jamis aurora elite

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
will.ros

tracking down a jamis aurora elite

Post by will.ros »

Looking at purchasing my first tour bike. Normally cycle road bike but looking for a taste of adventure. I've got 1000 quid (b2work ) and was waiting to the winter sales to get, jamis aurora elite, kona sutra hurly lht disc 700cc.
I am pushed more towards the jamis but can only find it at Evans cycles ( not on b2work ) and would rather give my money to local bike shops. Anyone know of any from Scotland that supply jamis bikes can't find any on line.
Plus any info/ preference on the above bikes would be great. Touring will be on British roads with a heavy load being taken with me.
Cheers
Vorpal

Re: tracking down a jamis aurora elite

Post by Vorpal »

Ask Jamis? They show a couple of retailers in Scotland.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
will.ros

Post by will.ros »

Done a search . 100mile wide from Glasgow and another 100 mile range from London. Everyone that came up was evans. May speak to my employer and ask them to change their b2work scheme to one that evans takes or wait till winter sales and hope the kona sutra is reduced from 1100.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

whats so special about these bikes? I see the Jamis has 10 speed? Many tourists here would hmm and ahh over that for durability. The disc brake is also hydraulic which again some would tut-tut. if you consider a wider range you can get for cheaper?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I think Evans may be sole importer of Jamis bikes in the UK.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Is it just me or are is the rear rack mounted way to high up? The front mudguard also takes both you eyelets on the forks. It seems the person who designed this bike hasn't done much, if any real touring. Image
cnb

Post by cnb »

If your waiting for the 2015 Sutra to be reduced..I was having a nose around for one last week and they all seem to have been sold except for Evans having a 56cm left...I'm happy with my Disc Trucker although i'm now looking for a Flat bar bike +1 for my stable...The 2016 Marin Muirwoods could be an option..I had one a few years ago and it was a great little bike....
cnb

Post by cnb »

Yep that rack looks a little high...I checked out one of these at Evans a while back and i wasn't keen on those mudguards..Easily fixed though..SKS.. :wink:
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Jamis is not a common bike name in the UK, I think they're American and more common in the U.S. It looks to me as if Evans are the main, if not the only, U.K. retailers. There always seem to be a few Jamis bikes on Ebay.

I bought a used Jamis Endura Xenith last year & have been very pleased with it. Unusually for a Carbon Bike it can take full mudguards with good clearance and has fittings to take a rack. Equipped with mudguards and a small carradice saddlebag it's pretty much my do anything bike.

On the Evans site it looks like the Aurora may be a a discontinued model. The Bosa Nova looks to be the next model down in the range and does look to be in stock.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

How much would B2W knock off a £1000 bike these days? Shopping at Evans, Vitality healthcare (starts at about £20 a month, depending on your stats) offers 50% off retail price, including sale retail prices. Lots of hoops to jump through to get there but, still, an option for some.

I think the OP ought to just go and buy an Edinburgh Bicycle tourer or the discounted ridgeback tourer they have , if it fits, and make the most of our remaining Scottish autumn.