Dutch Campsites - Cooking Area?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Merry_Wanderer

Dutch Campsites - Cooking Area?

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Mrs M_W and I are looking at a first European Tour for a week and are thinking about Holland as we have friends near Groningen which would make a convenient destination.

We have had the pleasure of a dozen or more day rides in Holland which we really enjoyed and (with our Caravan) we have stayed on a few different campsites. For this future trip we would like to use a mixture of campsites, B&B and Vrienden op de Fiets places.

Could anyone confirm whether any of the Green Campsites have cooking facilities? We have stayed on sites in Denmark, Luxembourg and Germany where simple hobs were provided in an undercover cooking area but never noticed any in Holland.

Also if anyone could comment on Vrienden op de Fiets that would be good. Thanks :-)
Barrenfluffit

Re: Dutch Campsites - Cooking Area?

Post by Barrenfluffit »

I only found one on the four dutch campsites I used. Mostly quite established sites.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I recently stayed at 9 Dutch campsites. I mainly chose Nature Campsites and although some had pub-type bench tables I wasn't on the look out specifically for cooking areas. I guess you could shelter in the covered washing up areas if no one objected. Someone will be along shortly with a definitive answer. Enjoy your tour. Maybe you could ride up the North Sea coast route to Den Helder and do some island hopping before meeting up with your friends in Groningen? Or vice versa of course...b
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

We recently did a tour in the Netherlands, staying at 6 sites on the way around, and none of the sites provided cooking facilities. In fact only one of them provided loo paper - that's a thing you generally need for camping in the Netherlands. Soap was fairly common, but not universal, and hand drying rare. One site, which was, it happened, a "listed green" site, did have an indoor area you could cook/sit/eat if weather was poor, but that was due to the historic accident of the old building it was constructed around. The "listed green" sites are not the only simple sites.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It tends to be a bit of a mixed bag in the Netherlands. I would call ahead and ask, if it's important.

I've come across some that had kettles, and some that had little elcetric burners, and some that had camping hobs, and some that had a fully equipped kitchen. I don't know if the sites had different classifications; I don't remember. I tend to pick sites by location as the main criteria, and recommendation or review as the second.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I would like to camp for the whole week but it may be hard to 'sell' this to Mrs M_W :-)