TI3IT-Thru Italy's 3 Islands Trail

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ConRAD

Re: TI3IT-Thru Italy's 3 Islands Trail

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:... will you be passing through Fluminimaggiore to go straight to Iglesias or are you taking the roundabout coast road towards the aforementioned Buggerru? ... when you go eastwards from Iglesias towards Cagliari are you taking the main road (can be done) or planning to go south or north of it?

today on the ferry to Bastia plenty of time to check and recheck my planned itinerary ... itinerary subject to possible changes however!!
- from Arbus I confirm Buggerru
- no Iglesias
- yes the south coastline to Cagliari

ps. it seems that you know pretty well those places, isn't it ?

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hi Conrad.

Slightly surprised to hear from you - I clearly misread your last post as a polite Italian way of saying "thanks but no

thanks - sod off and let me sort stuff myself", which I should stress I didn't take umbrage at.

### edit - see my post pps below - maybe you deleted something.

Also, when I said north or south towards Cagliari, I meant immediately north or south of the main road west to east.

Anyway, some quick notes/thoughts on your chosen route (am not trying to change it) and stuff close by which may be of interest/use.

@ Just before Buggerru in a place possibly called San Nicolao (which hardly exists) there is a nice small cemetery - you can't miss it as it is on the road you will be cycling on. I can't be certain but I have a memory that it might have one or two pieces by the aforementioned master. If not, there is some stuff of interest. Like many cemeteries in Sardinia though it does have somewhat odd/infrequent opening hours so may be shut. I was once gently mocked by an elderly Sard for expecting a cemetery to be open in the afternoon - but then I think that was the old Sard habit of generalising from very restricted local even family experience. They have longer hours in the north of the island I think. I am of course assuming that you share my interest in Italian cemeteries :)

@ Buggerru - by the way donkey's years ago I once slept in a tent pitched on the cindered football pitch you will see from above the town. Probably wouldn't do it now - the place is much "improved".

You will of course have to drop down to see the place and then climb back out but it is worth doing - a nice little place with a harbour and some history - there is a memorial to some miners killed in a strike. For, hard to believe now, this was an industrial area.

@ Cala Domestica - further south. I am pretty sure there will be a sign to this. A bit of a detour to the coast but well worth seeing. Nice place to pause. This was apparently the location for "Sebastiane", a film by the arty Brit director

Derek Jarman - lots of men in roman dress but more often I think out of it. The first British film ever to be filmed in Latin. And the last.

As you travel further south on the main coast road there is a pretty horrendous long climb at some point - just grin and bear it but be aware of it when timing the ride.

@ Masua - reachable from here is the pretty incredible Porto Flavia (google image it) but it will probably be shut and not convenient for you to visit anyway.

@ Nebida - From memory there is a bit of a descent to this and you may be tempted to sing to the sky and whizz on by but do stop. Pull into the carpark on the right/coast-side of the road. From close to there there is a panoramic walkway (you could ride if in a hurry and polite) which goes round the headland with a beautiful view. On the furthest extreme of it there is a even a bar. But may be shut of course. After the bar as you walk round there is, from memory, a small memorial to, I think, a carabinieri officer possibly from the 1940s. If you can find out from a local I would be very interested to know the story behind this.

@ Gonnesa - much improved - one or two Sards have scoffed about this place to me in that Sard/possibly Italian way about the next place along the road but I visited a few years ago and it has clearly been improved. Quite nice. Worth popping in to.

@ Portoscuso - a pretty long time since I have been that way but I remember it being rather industrial.

But near there is a nuraghe, Seruci, worth popping to if you haven't had your fill of them in the rest of the island.

@ Cortoghiana - could I think be reached by a back road from the nuraghe but it would be a bit of a detour from your route. It's a Fascist era town/dormitory town - pretty uncompromising architecturally but I find it interesting. Pretty much all complete though the church has gone - it must surely have been used for films? I can never remember whether it was built just before or just after nearby Carbonia, which is also a Fascist creation.

As I say if you have any questions ask away and I will help if I can.

Yes, I know Sardinia pretty well - sometimes it seems as if I have been up all the roads, but since a lot of them were in car I have forgotten a lot. I have also though cycled a fair bit and have cyled the route described above.

I will tap down more thoughts on the rest of your planned route to Cagliari when I have a bit more time.

Happy cycling
Last edited by Sweep on 25 Sep 2015, 2:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PS, don't know which way you are going after Oristano (I think you go close to there) but there is an interesting way through Arborea if you forsake the main 131 road.

If you do go that way, let me know.

PS - are you using a GPS?

Pps - maybe i imagined that last post of yours. Did you delete something?
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:...

About “deleting” the message, well actually I just re-edited and contextually updated the date of my last post in which I was saying “…surely I’ll investigate”. Sorry if I contributed to generate some confusion.
You know, I’m not connected all the time but, when I can, I always read your tips&hints with a great interest.
BTW, thank you for let me learning new expressions like “sod off” in place of a much more rude and not very elegant equivalent one.
Sincerely I like this type of “participation”, once a while much more dedicated to the place visited rather than to the more usual travel and technical aspects.
Frankly speaking I'm not so much fond of cemeteries though I must confess that when I'm in a foreign country I always pay a visit to the whatsoever cemetery that i encounter on my road ... simply because I reckon that it represents, so far, the other half of the life, but surely I'll have time one day to deepen the subject… I’m not in so much a hurry now!
For the time being let's say that cemeteries represent an excellent place where to park the car when I'm involved with some local cycling trip, good also to get some free drinking water with no one bothering you.
Yes, I do use gps, if you want I can send you the entire pre-planned gpx file, I’m keeping however track everyday of the actual paths.
Don’t forget also my MAIN CONSTRAINT: the ferry Cagliari-Palermo that makes service once a week!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hi Conrad

Well to a Brit Italian cemeteries are rather interesting - you quite often get examples of a very high quality of statuary as opposed to standard issue angels/broken columns signifying a life interupted etc. Also, the sculptor linked to above very often gives you a feeling that you are looking at the individual, not just a type. Of course the other attraction for a Brit is the insights into social history, the photos (not used in Britain as a general rule and some of them can be rather funny) and, it must be said, plain old kitsch. For Italy is not always home to good taste.

Anyway, no more death.

Very brief comments on the rest of your planned route.

You will enjoy the coast below Teulada - very impressive. I have a particular fondness for the western bits which were, last time I was there a couple of years ago, still a bit scrappy/unimproved - possibly because they are rather close to a large closed area/Nato war games area. Much controvery about that in Sardinia, as there is about Quirra.

I'll leave you to appreciate the beauties of the rest of that coast, though Chia has to be mentioned - massive wonderful beach - quite close to the Forte Village where some nutters spend a heap of money and never leave the place or see much of Sardinia.

Pula further along - I don't like too much - been so "improved" to my eyes that it looks somewhat toy town. But you might like to zip down to the coast to see the ruins at Nora - Roman and pre Roman.

Sarroch - there is a small nuraghe just outside but basically I would peg your nose as you pedal past here. A fair few smells, some of them possibly worrying, from the chemical plant. More controvery.

Caution - the 195 road to Cagliari, often called the Sulcitana, has a bad reputation for accidents. I know of at least one cyclist who has met their end there. Not sure which bits in particular. A quick google of "strada 195 sulcitana incidente" will pull up a few stories no doubt. I have cycled the stretch from Capoterra to Cagliari a few times and it can be a bit worrying, particularly because you can get large lorries coming from the industrial area of Macchieruddu. I generally think Sardinian drivers are pretty good (compared to some bits of Italy) but give some of them a stretch of what they perceive to be an open straight road and the these tosspots don't give a damn about anything. On a bike at the edge of the road you will probably be OK if you take care. And I see that you have a mirror so you will almost always, I think,be able to pull over if one of these nutters (a minority but a significant one) approaches.

More pleasant matters.

As you get almost to Cagliari, there is a turn-off for a little slightly scrappy place called Giorgino which will give you one of the best views of Cagliari as you will be sort of looking at it from the sea. Since you are sailing from Cagliari you may forsake this but it would still be a good first sight of the city - DH Lawrence described it I think as looking like Jerusalem as he approached from this sort of angle, though I'm not sure if he had ever been to Jerusalem.

If you carry on a bit past Giorgino you will maybe discover something particularly interesting but perhaps we better not go there. Let's just say that you discover some interesting things wandering aimlesssly on a bike ...... :)

Hope this is of some use - if you do need to know anything about Cagliari, bike friendly places to pause awhile or whatever do let me know.

Oh - if you ended up short of time whatever and needed to miss the southern coast route, there is an untarmacced but perfectly rideable track/road from Santadi eastwards which cuts through which takes you to the small church of Santa Lucia.That's just above Capoterra and you are then not far from Cagliari. The cantina at Santadi is quite well regarded by the way.

Have fun.
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

… well, the trip seems to be finally over !! All the details HERE

ps:
nirakaro wrote:... converted from a temple of Athena in the 5th century ...

... yes, 5th century ... B.C., really magnificent !!