6 months in Western Europe - complete beginner

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
davegtt

Re: 6 months in Western Europe - complete beginner

Post by davegtt »

I had a 2 man Wild Country tent, loved the door either side as I obviously had the wife in there and I didn't like the idea of climbing over each other in the night for the toilet, paid about £70 for it and it held up well, would easily be useable for another tour, and 5 minutes set up time on your own is very good. - http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/p/nigel-var ... -pyrenees/

Camping Mat - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-a200 ... 95174.html

Sleeping bags were about £15 each, I cant find my email confirmation of where I bought them from but they was not anything special. We mainly looked for something compact and light.

Cooking gear was a bit of a mess to start with and this is something I wish we had more experience in before we left. We set off with a litre of fuel and a fuel burner which I found to be pathetic to be honest. After a month living on Sandwiches we spent about £30 on a gas stove and a couple of canisters which lasted us quite a long time, cooking and eating out of a pair of £5 mess tins. Best thing we bought on the travels and super for cooking noodles or pasta in for meals. hot dog sausages were another favorite, heated up very quickly using minimal gas and cheap too :)

Most of our clothing was cheap items from Decathlon or Sports Direct and suited us perfect, mainly light weight. Baring in mind we set off in April from UK to Denmark and Sweden we had to pack for cold and wet days but by June we were in Croatia in the 30+ region. Then back to the UK for September and wearing warmer things again. This was easily achievable with 2 rear ortliebs and the 30L Rack Pack that they do. We did not use any front panniers. I carried all the camping equipment and would suggest I could have done the trip solo without the use of someone elses space on the bikes so you wouldnt have a problem with that set up. Off course if I did ever consider to do it solo I would possibly get front panniers too for the ease of packing and unpacking/extra space.

I'm sat at my desk in work now feeling very nostalgic and want to cry. You lucky so and so.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks davegtt, I fond that interesting. It confirms my opinion of modern kit, in that all but the real cheap stuff is up to some serious touring.
tommaso

Post by tommaso »

Hello, here is the website of two italians going round the world (on the road since july 2014) with Cinelli Hobo.
http://www.becycling.net/equipment/
Good luck for your travel
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

Vorpal wrote:I guess it depends partly on where you will be. 6 months covers a pretty wide range of temperatures, and if you are in Northern Europe during spring or autumn, that sleeping bag might not be enough. On the other hand, as you are going to be travelling for a while, you can just try it and see, and either get a better one, or a liner or something, if you need it. A liner might not be a bad idea, anyway. They're easier to wash than the sleeping bag, and since you will be sleeping in yours for 6 months, a liner will mean washing it much less frequently.

There's a good thread on sleeping bags & pads here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=99146

Thank you

davegtt wrote:I did spend good money on some Ortlieb Panniers though, highly recommended from myself and the wife.

Hi Buddy, thanks for both your posts, very rich:) it is possible then :D:D yay

Ortlieb - i am planning to get front, back and rackbag waterproof set from Ortlieb in white, its seem to be great piece of equipment

davegtt wrote:I had a 2 man Wild Country tent, loved the door either side as I obviously had the wife in there and I didn't like the idea of climbing over each other in the night for the toilet, paid about £70 for it and it held up well, would easily be useable for another tour, and 5 minutes set up time on your own is very good

thats interesting one it cost only 100 quid at the moment could you comment on this a little more?

how about water resistance - rainy days and overall durability? So after six months of usage would you recommend it?

davegtt wrote:I'm sat at my desk in work now feeling very nostalgic and want to cry. You lucky so and so.

Why dont you hit the road again then? :)

tommaso wrote:Hello, here is the website of two italians going round the world (on the road since july 2014) with Cinelli Hobo.
http://www.becycling.net/equipment/
Good luck for your travel

This Hobo sat in my head since i first saw it i have to say...
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

Helo again.

I am getting ready bit by bit. I am leaving UK in early may. Before i depart i will post all equipment and all set up i have chosen so it might be a guide for those who will have similiar journey in plans.

For now - does anyone can suggest any sim card wich is good value and i will be able to use it from france,Belgium,switzerland,germany to UK ? calls and texts only. i know its not quite this type of forum but its only one forum i am on. I dont want to take my contract phone with me, i prefer good value pay as you go option. any ideas.

Many thanks :)
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

gospo1 wrote:For now - does anyone can suggest any sim card wich is good value and i will be able to use it from france,Belgium,switzerland,germany to UK ? calls and texts only. i know its not quite this type of forum but its only one forum i am on. I dont want to take my contract phone with me, i prefer good value pay as you go option. any ideas.

For voice calls and texts it may not be worth it because call charges throughout Europe are capped (thanks to the European Union). Check the roaming charges for the operator you're with at the moment. Three charge 16.6p/min (but that may just be within the countries covered by their Feel at Home deal). Tesco 16p.min and Lycamobile charge 18p/min. Texts are about 4 or 5p each.

For data it's a different matter and I'd suggest trying three.co.uk. When I bought a card from them last summer they had a deal that meant that it lasted three months — so you could use free wifi where available and only dig into your allowance when you had to. Again though check which countries are covered by the Feel at Home deal.

PS - really if you ask a new question you should start a new thread :wink: .
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Three's rate for domestic calls, and their Feel at Home rate (France, Italy, Switzerland etc.) is 3p/minute. Elsewhere (eg Germany, Netherland), it's 16.6p/minute.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

nirakaro wrote:Three's rate for domestic calls, and their Feel at Home rate (France, Italy, Switzerland etc.) is 3p/minute. Elsewhere (eg Germany, Netherland), it's 16.6p/minute.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I think it depends on the type of call.

Looking at this page, if I've finally got my head around it, your inclusive calls allowance covers calls back to the UK. So for PAYG customers the domestic rate of 3p/minute applies. BUT it also says that your allowance doesn't include international calls —so if say you want to call to reserve a hotel room (OK I know the OP is planning to do wild camping) you pay the 16.6p a minute. As I understand it this rate also applies if you're on PAYG and so don't have an 'allowance'. I don't know about rates for receiving calls and texts from the UK

But still a pretty good deal if you're going to the countries it covers (and there are quite a lot of them).
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

I think comfort and information are the most important issues. I'd definately head west for some sun and breathing space. I rode Paris Lisbon Paris last year over a four month period, it was great. The traffic on the Portugese coast was dangerous, so I would stay inland.

The bicycle is not too important, a nice seat and big cushioning tyres are worthwhile. Get a bargain second hand. Front racks will take some pressure off the back wheel. Decathlon gear is good and cheap (except for their air mats which are rubbish). I used a Decathlon pop-up tent one holiday, it was great. And if you wear out said tent, get another one, they are cheap...

Information is everything. Knowing where to find the bike-ways, food and accomidation will put you ahead of the game. I use an Etrex and 6" Phablet, I don't use paper maps. There are plenty of long distance touring routes available for France and Spain, follow them! I used some GPX tracks from Pedal Portugal but I found them a bit deficient. You can also tap into the extensive Carmino (pilgrim) networks for direction and accomidation, get hold of a "Credencial del Peregrino". Tourist Information offices are very helpful as indeed is a guide book in Pdf.

I always eat out of supermarkets, I have cold food, I never cook.
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

Thank you everyone for your latest replys.

I got another question, it probably will sound silly to all of you but....

I got most of stuff, I've used bike for last 5 days everyday. Today i was riding and Gps took me on some trial, muddy and basically not quite cycable path. Then it startet raining so i had great opportunity to see what else i need to be ready. Anyways..

question is, once i am on my trip, how do i maintain bike everyday? I came back and bike is muddy, chain etc. Someone said to me that all i need to do is to make sure bike is:

- not soaking wet while raining and not riding
- i shoud have a brush to be able remove dirt, sand and mud if necessary
- apart from that bike no need any other maintanence apart from obvious things like adjustments and replacements and repairs

I bought Cinelli Hobo bootleg if it make any difference...

Thank you everyone in advance... Youre my only source of knowlege at the moment :D:D

Thanks
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have to admit that I don't do much with my bike whilst touring. I fix anything that goes wrong, and if it gets really dirty, I clean the worst off. I wipe the chain down and relubricate it. Petrol station paper towels or baby wipes are fine for that.

I've never toured for as long as 6 months, but I don't guess I would do much more, except that you will need to give it a proper clean & inspection now and again and replace some parts like brake pads. I probably wouldn't carry them with me, but buy them when it loked like the old ones were getting worn enough to need replacement. If you go off into the Finnish wilderness or something, it's a good idea to plan for not having access to a bike shop.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

The longest I have toured is 4 months - Maintenance generally comes down to checking the rack bolts once a week, a bit of air in the tyres when it feels a bit sluggish, WD 40 on the chain when it rains heavily, proper oil on the chain when it dries up - halfway I got a bike shop to change the cassette and chain (about 5000km plus the 3500km they had on them before I started) on a day off - I always carry brake blocks - easy to wash out a set descending on very wet days - spare brake and gear cable and rack bolts are the only other spares outside of a couple of inner tubes
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

Thank you very much