6 months in Western Europe - complete beginner

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: 6 months in Western Europe - complete beginner

Post by PH »

There are I think two big bike decisions, which you need to make before narrowing the choice down to a shortlist.
Flat bars or drops or something else - there are pros and cons and people happily tour on all sorts and it's largely down to personal preference. Forget fashion, you're going to be spending too long sat on that bike for it to be a consideration. if you can try a few options before buying it would be a good idea.
Wheel size - Again I think it's mostly personal preference, all things being equal 26" are stronger and outside Europe and USA usually more readily available. But many people have demonstrated that 700c can be plenty strong enough. If you need a smaller bike, then a bike designed for 26" wheels may be a better option as small 700c bikes are often compromised. £1,600 will buy you a great bike, but something very suitable could be bought for a lot less.
This gallery is worth a look for inspiration;
http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded
For a GPS, the Garmin Etrex is well regarded for touring, it takes AA batteries which are easy to get hold of or charge and the run time is around 25 hours so enough for 2 or 3 days. There's plenty of free mapping which is if anything better than the Garmin offerings. It's a bit of a learning curve to get the most from a GPS, it's not as simple as a point and go car satnav. You can let it choose the route for you, but you'll probably not like the decisions it makes, so you need to work out how much input gets the results you want and whether that time and effort is worth the benefits. I get a lot of use from mine and even if I'm not using it for routes I like the record of where I've been.
This is a good resource for using a Garmin:
http://www.aukadia.net/gps/

Equipment - the lightest and finest isn't necessarily the best for such a long trip, tent, mat and sleeping bag all need to be fairly robust and I'd choose stuff that was fairly cheap and accept that it will be a bit heavier. If you're going to be living cheaply, you'll need to be cooking most of your meals, although it's cumbersome and slow I don't think you can beat a Tragia for everyday cooking. They're not too expensive to buy and are cheap to run.

It sounds like a great adventure, I wouldn't over plan, or if you do you'll need the plan to be pretty flexible. Good luck.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:
There's a list of 'short reach' bikes here http://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-tou ... -cyclists/

Great, thank you :) :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:Back to the bike: I hadn't thought about, but I think if it were me, I would buy a less expensive bike, even a secondhand one and save aside an emergency fund.

+ 1 My thoughts entirely - I think this is what I was trying to say. An old 26" wheel MTB might be ideal.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

gospo1 wrote:Hello Everyone.

I Have some serious trip planned next year, start in either april or may start in france in Dunkirk and then going round some other countries, street playing instruments in each town/city. Sleeping wild in tent

Tom

Sounds like a wonderful adventure you have conceived.

What instruments will you be playing? You will need to think about space for them within the rather limited luggage capacity of a touring bike and also protecting them from the ravages of the weather. Some instruments can be ruined by damp or wet conditions. A set of pan pipes are one thing but, a double bass would necessitate the additional purchase of a bike trailer and a waterproof 'flight case', for example. Even a small mandolin or uke would be problematic on a bike.

As to the bike, I would think that a second hand rigid (steel) mountain bike would serve. Nothing at all glitzy if you are planning to camp wild. Preferably, it should have brazed fittings for front and rear racks and the racks may already be fitted to the bike you choose. It is possible to purchase this sort of machine for as little as £ 50.00 if you are prepared to trawl the second hand and junk shops. My personal preference with regard to bike fit is that there should be a MINIMUM clearance of 50mm between the top tube and the crotch 100mm is better.

The only problem I can forsee is that you may not want the adventure to end after just one summer.
But then, that may not be a problem.
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

quilkin wrote:There's so much to think about and plan here- but one thing that springs to mind re eleCtronic navigation: how are you going to charge things if you are wild camping? It's difficult enough at standard campsites. I think you'll be limited to garmins with replaceable batteries, and smartphones will be out, unless you can sit in cafes for hours and 'borrow' their power

Yes i might have a look at battery operated garmin wich seem to be better option, regarding charging things and power supply i will ocassionaly use cafes but really dont take much electronics - no smartphones - i am not much in to digital frequencies, so use less gadgets as possible. Will have some mobile tho:) some old one to use with Lebara card, And that would be it - gps, small laptop and mobile phone.

horizon wrote:I would suggest that you leave the smart phone at home (if you have one) and enjoy the places, people and experiences that you find on your journey

yes thats the plan, just to be there and enjoy being, definately not going to blog or even post on FB as dont have one.

PH wrote:For a GPS, the Garmin Etrex is well regarded for touring, it takes AA batteries

thanks! it seems to be best option

PH wrote:Equipment - the lightest and finest isn't necessarily the best for such a long trip, tent, mat and sleeping bag all need to be fairly robust and I'd choose stuff that was fairly cheap and accept that it will be a bit heavier

I am willing to pay more for a very good quality equipment wich will be light as well. The thing is i leave everything, selling my car, leaving my business behind, and selling all of my "posessions" so i will be able to set really well and then relay on God itself as my source of supply.

PH wrote: you're going to be living cheaply, you'll need to be cooking most of your meals, although it's cumbersome and slow I don't think you can beat a Tragia for everyday cooking. They're not too expensive to buy and are cheap to run.

I actually eat very simple and dont eat any traditional cooked meals, All my cooking will come to cooking ,rice, buckwheats and other grouts and beans, steaming vegetables and making coffee. Morning meal is usually a quality muesli, and a lot of fruit during day.
PH wrote:
It sounds like a great adventure, I wouldn't over plan, or if you do you'll need the plan to be pretty flexible. Good luck

Well i dont plan at all really, i either go there or there:), spain portugal and southern france seems to be great due to nudist beaches all along the coasts, but will see what come. Thanks to all

Will let you know later this year how preparations going on.

Bless
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

jimlews wrote:What instruments will you be playing? You will need to think about space for them within the rather limited luggage capacity of a touring bike and also protecting them from the ravages of the weather. Some instruments can be ruined by damp or wet conditions. A set of pan pipes are one thing but, a double bass would necessitate the additional purchase of a bike trailer and a waterproof 'flight case', for example. Even a small mandolin or uke would be problematic on a bike.

I take didgeridoo, Duduk (flute like) and some shakers. I know Didgeriddo will be an issue, i have one wich is 160cm long and its obviously to big i will get smaller one or foldable one. I will organise it somehow and will make waterproof cover for it. I will take last 2 months completely off to have enough time to experiment. Not sure about Djembe if have space left but surely prefer to take only didgeridoo and Duduk.

jimlews wrote:The only problem I can forsee is that you may not want the adventure to end after just one summer.
But then, that may not be a problem.

Haha good point but you see - i dont have problems at all :D i dont even can play any of those. will have enough time to practice on the streets :D- I will be able to play didgee as i do practise a bit

Spirits sayn not to worry just enjoy - and everything will be looked after :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe a trailer would be a good way to transport your things and instruments? Or you can strap a didgerdoo to your top tube, or under your seat and over your panneriers?

Have you every heard of the Bicycle Music Festival? These folks carry double basses, pedal-powered amps, cellos, drum kits, keyboards and practically anything thing else you can think of. http://bicyclemusicfestival.com/about_bmf/

And here's cello Joe on his bike... http://www.cellojoe.com/p/photos.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

Vorpal wrote:Maybe a trailer would be a good way to transport your things and instruments? Or you can strap a didgerdoo to your top tube, or under your seat and over your panneriers?

Have you every heard of the Bicycle Music Festival? These folks carry double basses, pedal-powered amps, cellos, drum kits, keyboards and practically anything thing else you can think of. http://bicyclemusicfestival.com/about_bmf/

And here's cello Joe on his bike... http://www.cellojoe.com/p/photos.html

thanks for those links:), I will try to set it all first on its own, trailer is an option but cant see not having enough space all my items will be reduced to a necessary minimum. But again, see how it all goes then move forward with it. Thank you !
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

3 things:

Why a laptop? They are big and heavy. I use a 7" tablet. Does virtually everything a laptop will and oh so much smaller. Also easier to carry around for WiFi in cafes, etc. I can get Google maps on mine and GPS so can use as navigation tool. Hardly use a PC nowadays, doing this on my Google Nexus 7.

Why are you so hung up on a GPS? It is an expensive bit of kit to sit on your handlebars (see point 3) and I would have thought you would be on a slow meander rather than a heads down sort of tour. You can get good maps from tourist offices in some countries, or buy them. Generally a nice big map is much better for planning a route than a tiny gps screen. You can also use things like Google maps on your other device(s) for general navigation and route planning.

No real mention so far of security. Many cycle tourist avoid the sort of town where you will be busking because they are high theft risk places, eg Paris, Amsterdam and Barcelona. What will you be doing with your bike and all your kit when busking? Even good locks often aren't enough. Having a safe base, eg hostel or hotel, where you can leave your bike and gear is almost a necessity. You definitely need to think hard about security as losing your bike and or gear could be trip ending.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gospo1 wrote:[I take didgeridoo, Duduk (flute like) and some shakers. I know Didgeriddo will be an issue, i have one wich is 160cm long and its obviously to big i will get smaller one or foldable one.

You know that you can make a didgeridoo out of PVC pipe? Then you wouldn't need to worry about it getting wet.

http://didjiman.com/didjeridu/didge-make.htm There are some YouTube videos, too. Just Google 'make PVC didgeridoo' or similar.

You could even experiment a little with it, and see if you can make it in two pieces with a pipe coupling or something?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
PH

Post by PH »

gospo1 wrote:[
PH wrote:Equipment - the lightest and finest isn't necessarily the best for such a long trip, tent, mat and sleeping bag all need to be fairly robust and I'd choose stuff that was fairly cheap and accept that it will be a bit heavier

I am willing to pay more for a very good quality equipment wich will be light as well. The thing is i leave everything, selling my car, leaving my business behind, and selling all of my "posessions" so i will be able to set really well and then relay on God itself as my source of supply.

The point was the lightest and best for most of us using it for a few nights a year, may not be the best for someone using it for an extended period of time. Particularly if many of those night are going to be off site and therefore not always on the best surfaces. Something mid range may well prove a better buy. Spending more is unlikely to buy you more durability, which IMO is going to be the most important factor.
gospo1

Post by gospo1 »

PH wrote:
gospo1 wrote:[

The point was the lightest and best for most of us using it for a few nights a year, may not be the best for someone using it for an extended period of time. Particularly if many of those night are going to be off site and therefore not always on the best surfaces. Something mid range may well prove a better buy. Spending more is unlikely to buy you more durability, which IMO is going to be the most important factor.

Thank you, I do have actually sleeping bag and tent. Tent is mid range and sleeping bag just basic...

http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/133694-eu ... g-red.html

this is sleeping bag i have, would it be ok?

i will get back my tent from someone after few years so will see what it is and what condition.

xx update - ive just checked reviews on this sleeping bag and they say it does not provide much warmth, but is cost only 20 quid...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I guess it depends partly on where you will be. 6 months covers a pretty wide range of temperatures, and if you are in Northern Europe during spring or autumn, that sleeping bag might not be enough. On the other hand, as you are going to be travelling for a while, you can just try it and see, and either get a better one, or a liner or something, if you need it. A liner might not be a bad idea, anyway. They're easier to wash than the sleeping bag, and since you will be sleeping in yours for 6 months, a liner will mean washing it much less frequently.

There's a good thread on sleeping bags & pads here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=99146
davegtt

Post by davegtt »

Hello, I am very envious of you and your up coming trip, I did a 6 month tour of Europe last year and spent a good 6 months in Europe starting in Denmark, April time. I slept wild in my tent probably 90% of the evenings. As long as you clean up after yourself and try to be as well sheltered as possible, I do not envision any trouble with this. I was also a beginner who had no experience other than a Sunday cycle around the villages. Never before ridden a bike loaded with Panniers until the day I set off and dont let anyone put you off because you are a beginner.

As somebody else mentioned, your bike could be overkill if you are not too fussed on what you are riding. I was given a Claud Butler that was sat in somebodies garden for 3 years doing nothing, I changed all the cables and replaced the brakes and off I went. Tyres didnt need changing evening though I carried 2 across the continent with me. I took 4 inner tubes and used 2. (There was 2 of us btw). My one suggestion is learn how to replace spokes, this was my biggest hurdle, when it first happened it was a nightmare and I didnt have a clue, had to get a train to Gdansk and then hold up in a hostel for 2 days because it was bank holiday weekend for them before a bike shop would look at it. Once I learned (10 min video on youtube) and bought all the correct tools it was nothing more than a 15 minute inconvenience.

Also the less spent will give you more funds for back up as you say you will not have much finances left once you leave the UK. This is the bit I would be most apprehensive about. My wife bought a £300 bike from Decathlon for our trip and it help up very well. I wouldnt go overboard on the bike imo.

I did spend good money on some Ortlieb Panniers though, highly recommended from myself and the wife.

GPS. I used a 7" tablet and relied on Google maps, planning my route for the next day in the evening before bed time. The battery would last 4-5 days depending on how often you have to refer back to them. Stop for a beer (of coffee) in a local pub and charge it up for a while once you get down to 30%. Never had a problem finding electricity.

Good luck on your trip :)
PH

Post by PH »

that sounds like an interesting tour davegtt, it's encouraging to hear people not just theorising that that you don't need expensive kit, but demonstrating that they've done it. What about other kit, tent, sleeping bags, mats, cooking gear... did you have the same approach to that?