Sore bum!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3spd

Sore bum!

Post by 3spd »

I have just returned from a three and a half day tour.
Day 1 was fine, day 2 uncomfortable but day 3 and onwards it was like sitting on an iron bar.
Obviously the increased time in the saddle was the cause but what equipment can improve/lessen the problem?
Have been looking at the Specialized CG-R seatpost but not sure if this is what I need.
Present bum perch is a ti railed no name saddle I have used for years and only get this problem "on tour".
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
Sooper8

Re: Sore bum!

Post by Sooper8 »

I had something similar. I hadn't ridden much at all during Jan-Feb-March this year , except one off rides once or twice a week.

Then I rode 3 consecutive days and had almost the same feeling as you (day 3 not awful, just pretty uncomfortable) - this was after never having had a problem before.

I tried various things after that, but the bottom line (no pun intended..) was I think as you get older your skin, your muscles etc change - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

Also, after those 3 days, I did some 2 days and then 3 days and it just seemed to 'toughen up'.

I tried a Charge Spoon after many recommendations, then a cheap-ish Selle Royal saddle from Aldi.I did try that Moo Cream (or whatever it's called) -I tried different pants, then different shorts - don't know which of them helped, as it was hard to narrow down which of the things might have had an impact.

Overall, I just think it's like any activity and if you haven't done it for a while, you need to get back in the swing of it.

Either way, I was fine by May/June, but can relate to your experience.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Is anything changing over the three days? Is it possible your legs were tiring and causing you to pedal a bit differently? I have a bike with a crappy saddle that I am too cheap/lazy to get round to replacing. I find that when I ride this bike with my wife, who is not a strong, rider I start to get sore after about 15 miles but I can ride much longer distances on this poor saddle at the faster pace of e,g a club ride without problems. I think what's happening is that when I ride slow I am not pushing as hard on the pedals (duh) and coasting more to avoid getting too far ahead, all of which puts pressure on my backside for longer periods of time. When I ride with the Mrs on my bike with a broken in Brooks I find there's much less soreness although there is a hint of it at about the same sort of distance. So you may want to think of a combination of saddle + technique.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My remedies:-

Softer tyres by letting some air out, harder going but iron out shocks

Discard padded shorts - the edge of the pad can often be the source of soreness. A smooth pair of trousers or shorts with smooth underpants is good.

Take another differently shaped saddle with you to swap and have different high pressure areas.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

For me padded shorts are a must on long rides, together with a leather saddle that has (eventually) moulded to my shape. It flexes slightly when I go over bumps, giving a bit of suspension. As for tyres, I have devised a system for finding the right pressures. I pump them up hard, close to their limit, and ride around my street paying close attention to the rumble coming through the bike from the rather coarse chippings. Then I pull over and let out a little air and try it again. I repeat this until I feel that the chippings are being smoothed out by the tyres. Then I make a record of the tyre pressures (slightly lower at the front), usually in pencil or chalk on the wall of my garage.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Get a brooks
pwa

Post by pwa »

albal1 wrote:Get a brooks

Or equivalent.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are loads of threads on here about sore bums (one of these days I will finish indexing them :oops: ), but essentially:

1) your bum gets used to the saddle and vice versa
If you don't often ride long distances 3 days in a row, that might be the only problem you have.
2) Saddle position is crucial and after a few days in the saddle, a few mm here or there can make a big difference
Make sure that your sit bones are the primary contact between you and the saddle at all times: If other places are in hard contact with the saddle, see if you can adjust the saddle
by titling it a little up or down, or moving it a little down or up, forwards or back and solve the problem.
Make only one change at a time, and mark the position on the rails, so that you can change it back if you make it worse.
If adjustments do not solve the problem, see point 3.
3) Saddles and bums both come in a wide variety of shapes
It's entirely possible that your saddle and bum are not entirely compatible, but this is something that is only noticeable with day after day riding. If this is the problem,
be prepared to try a number of different saddles before you find one that suits. This process and the eventual solution are very individual, so one person's cure may not be yours
4) (eddited to add) this may seem obvious, but cleanliness is also very important. Ensure that you shower daily, or clean sweat away, generally keep the area clean, and use clean pants or shorts as needed (at least daily)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I've been using a Selle Anatomica for the last 3 months. It's like having your backside in a hammock. You might need to punch and lace in the sides, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you want a sore bum get a Brooks. Style over substance..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Different saddles suit different people. I love Brooks saddles, especially when I have bought them at discount prices. I don't wear padded shorts, just very thin 'technical' boxer shorts and thin non-cycling shorts
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Vorpal wrote:There are loads of threads on here about sore bums (one of these days I will finish indexing them :oops: ), but essentially:

1) your bum get used to the saddle and vice versa
If you don't often ride long distances 3 days in a row, that might be the only problem you have.
2) Saddle position is crucial and after a few days in the saddle, a few mm here or there can make a big difference
Make sure that your sit bones are the primary contact between you and the saddle at all times: If other places are in hard contact witht he saddle, see if you can adjust the saddle
by titling it a little up or down, or moving it a little down or up, forwards or back and solve the problem.
Make only one change at a time, and mark the position on the rails, so that you can change it back if you make it worse.
If adjustments do no solve the problem, see point 3.
3) Saddles and bums both come in a wide variety of shapes
It's entirely possible that your saddle and bum are not entirely compatible, but this is something that is only noticeable with day after day riding. If this is the problem,
be prepared to try a number of different saddles before you find one that suits. This process and the eventual solution are very individual, so one person's cure may not be yours
4) (eddited to add) this may seem obvious, but cleanliness is also very important. Ensure that you shower daily, or clean sweat away, generally keep the area clean, and use clean pants or shrts as needed (at least daily)

What vorpal says with an emphasis on number one.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

After a lay-off from the bike it's the bum that needs re-training and not so much the legs.
I find Vaseline also helps counteract any friction as well as being anti-chapping.
You'll never know if you don't try it.