Wet Wipes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beardy

Re: Wet Wipes

Post by beardy »

I suppose that so long as I keep converting 500 litres of diesel into particulates every year, I cant complain about somebody converting a few wet wipes into particulates.
pwa

Post by pwa »

beardy wrote:I suppose that so long as I keep converting 500 litres of diesel into particulates every year, I cant complain about somebody converting a few wet wipes into particulates.

Yes, a sense of proportion is a good thing.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

beardy wrote:
You had me worried and confused for a few seconds then until I remembered that grey (with an e not an a :wink: ) waste doesnt go in the septic tank.
It does apparently in some places.

grey (with an e not an a :wink: )
Did you think that up all on your own?
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Always lived with a septic tank. Grey water has always gone into it.
Rainwater should never.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
beardy

Post by beardy »

And do you use soap?
syklist

Post by syklist »

Paulatic wrote:Always lived with a septic tank.

Is that a bit like living with a Canadian?
So long and thanks for all the fish...
triker131

Post by triker131 »

I thought wet wipes were made from the same stuff as disposable nappy liners - spun polypropylene which is also used as fleece in horticulture to protect crops from frost and insects (17g/sq.m). The Aldi wipes are described on the box as "soft fleece wipes". When our son was a baby we ran out of nappy liners (used with washable nappies). I had a 100x2m roll of fleece to hand and cut some squares from it - worked perfectly allowing liquids through but stopping most of the solids from impregnating the towelling nappy. Oh, happy times.

But - it's a hydrocarbon polymer - just in thin fibre form but nevertheless the same stuff your washing up bowl or wheely bin is made from. It will last for centuries. Dried out they burn very well.
mjr

Post by mjr »

beardy wrote:And do you use soap?

Yes but I think you have to avoid a few (usually anti-bacterial) soaps but otherwise, you'd have to use a lot to stall the septic system. Cooking fat (which can clog the inlets) and saltwater (which can waterproof the leach bed) are far worse AFAIK because fixing that is not simply pumping out the tank.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes we do. I use hard Olive Oil soap and OH uses a liquid.
My observations are there's more cleaning to do in the shower after my use. [emoji4]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:

Yes but I think you have to avoid a few (usually anti-bacterial) soaps but otherwise, you'd have to use a lot to stall the septic system. Cooking fat (which can clog the inlets) and saltwater (which can waterproof the leach bed) are far worse AFAIK because fixing that is not simply pumping out the tank.

I'm told that if you are taking antibiotics that can stop a septic tank.

Don't know about the UK, but in France all the supermarkets sold septic tank activator sachets. Bit like tea bags you flush down the loo. Or throw a dead chicken in the tank (so I was told).

Ian
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

syklist wrote:

Here now! :?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Mistik-ka wrote:
syklist wrote:

Sorry mate. It's usually Yank bashing that I get, snotty comments about spelling etc.. Looks like you got caught in the crossfire. :D
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

We have lived with a septic tank since moving to our house in 1978. The only things that have caused us an occassional problem are tampons and condoms jamming a pump. When our sons moved out the problem with the latter stopped and age has stopped the problem with the former.

We put all most of our water down into the tank including from the bathroom and kitchen including the dishwasher and we use soap, liquid soap, washing up liquid and dishwasher tabs. I also put down the contents of the chemical toilet from our motorcaravan if it is not empty when we get home from a trip. Rainwater goes into what I don't know - I presume a soakaway somewhere - and the washing machine water goes into a soakaway that my wife and I dug many moons ago.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Pete Jack wrote:
Mistik-ka wrote:
syklist wrote:Is that a bit like living with a Canadian?

Sorry mate. It's usually Yank bashing that I get, snotty comments about spelling etc.. Looks like you got caught in the crossfire. :D

:) My main point was the way that the OP phrased his sentence. I like that kind of ambiguity. I would have said "Always had a septic tank at home" which I feel is more difficult to misinterpret.

Personally I do live with a Canadian, and, certainly linguistically speaking, it is like living with an American, different words, backpack instead of rucksack, pavement means the surface on the road not the sidewalk, a bathroom can contain just a toilet etc. It still causes confusion every now and again. We do however have fewer disagreements about spelling than if Mrs Syklist had grown up in the USA. On the down side, it means that Norwegian born Syklist Junior has to deal with two different Norwegian dialects* during the day at the kindergarten and then two different English dialects when he gets home.

Getting back on topic, Syklist Junior's arrival means now that we have to take two types of wet wipes on tour with us - the facial cleansing tissues to get oil and grime off our hands and the baby ones to keep Junior clean. The baby wipes generally get wrapped up in the nappy which we throw away as soon as we find a bin.

*Gol is on a dialect cusp between the Nynorsk dialects to the West and the bokmål dialects to the East. Strictly speaking he has to deal with three Norwegian dialects as Hallingdal has its own dialect. However Hallingdal can also be considered to fall under the Nynorsk group it depends on how many hairs you want to split.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

You can get paper-base wipes which are eco-friendly, or as eco-friendly as they can be.