Wet Wipes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PJ520

Wet Wipes

Post by PJ520 »

Sorry about the indelicacy of the topic but most of us care about our environment. Like most tourists I take some kind of moistened wipe with me: very handy for cleanup after a flat and as an emergency shower if you really have to but Wet Wipes are really bad for sewage systems even the so called flushable ones. This is a challenge for those of us who have used them as emergency TP including in those Portaloo, Sanican etc. facilities which are always out of paper and hand sanitizer, because their contents end up in a sewage system (one hopes)
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Des49

Re: Wet Wipes

Post by Des49 »

You are right to be concerned with the disposal of these wipes. They are very useful at times, just cleaned my keyboards this morning with one.

I don't get through many and dispose of these in bins and haven't used them in a porta loo.

Out in the wilds grass, bracken fronds and leaves make great natural wipes instead of toilet paper. I used to hike & climb a lot in the mountains and care of the environment is crucial when there are no bins or loos. A colleague always used to burn his paper with a lighter when disposing his waste!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I simply don't use them.
syklist

Post by syklist »

We tend to save our sandwich bags every day and put them in the front pocket of our bar bags as for use as bin bags. Ideal for wet wipes, empty sweet/chocolate wrappers and a nappy or two if you use the 4l sandwich bags. We then throw away the bags when we find a bin along the way.

If you want to minimise use of wet wipes then take makeup removal wipes. They are really good at removing oil, one usually suffices for a pair of oily hands. They can be used on other parts of the body although they contain a moisturiser, which some people don't like.
Last edited by syklist on 14 Sep 2015, 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's a shame they are so resistant to breaking down - I carry them in case I have to 'go' while I'm out in the sticks... :shock: They do leave the old nether-regions feeling nice and clean!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... r-fix.html (probably best not read this article, if you're having your lunch)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

In a similar vein I found out that common or garden soap is bad for septic systems. I was in Denmark and went into a small supermarket and couldn't find soap anywhere. Not knowing the Danish for "Lead me to your soap" I went without. Down the road at the hostel in Glückstadt I was given blank looks when I asked for soap; I ended up using the hand washing stuff from the toilet in the shower. A year later I was wending my way across North Dakota when and called in a gift shop in a tiny town to buy, yes, soap and I mentioned my European challenges to the lady at the shop. "They must be on septic systems" she said and told me that they had stopped using soap at her home. They had had continual problems with their septic system and since switching to body wash the problems had not recurred.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I usually succeed in managing my internal economies so as not to need this type of product. Just lucky I guess, but I still like to have a small pack on the bike just in case. One thing I have learnt is that if you really, really, need a good big leaf, there wont be one in sight!
I'll have to keep my eyes open for Freshu foam - never spotted it down the supermarket!
As for wet wipes, I hadn't realised that there were two types of fibre involved. I shall be looking at the small print next time I buy. The synthetic fibres are obviously likely to represent a long term problem, both at the sewage works and when discarded in the general environment, but how about varieties made from cellulose fibres?
I can understand that papers with lots of wet strength could survive intact long enough to cause blockages during recycling - but does that necessarily mean that they are resistant to breaking down in a reasonable time when buried alongside a biologically active "starter pack"?
What gives paper wet strength anyway?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
trieste

Post by trieste »

Des49 wrote:

Out in the wilds grass, bracken fronds and leaves make great natural wipes instead of toilet paper. I used to hike & climb a lot in the mountains and care of the environment is crucial when there are no bins or loos. A colleague always used to burn his paper with a lighter when disposing his waste!

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/western-wildfires/when-you-gotta-go-you-gotta-go-pooping-cyclist-blamed-n397556
Authorities say a cyclist will be fined and could have to pay the full cost of extinguishing a 73-acre fire he inadvertently set in the foothills of Boise, Idaho, when he tried to burn his toilet paper after, well, relieving himself in a ravine Wednesday.

Do warn your friend. :oops:
beardy

Post by beardy »

Pete Jack wrote:In a similar vein I found out that common or garden soap is bad for septic systems. I was in Denmark and went into a small supermarket and couldn't find soap anywhere. Not knowing the Danish for "Lead me to your soap" I went without. Down the road at the hostel in Glückstadt I was given blank looks when I asked for soap; I ended up using the hand washing stuff from the toilet in the shower. A year later I was wending my way across North Dakota when and called in a gift shop in a tiny town to buy, yes, soap and I mentioned my European challenges to the lady at the shop. "They must be on septic systems" she said and told me that they had stopped using soap at her home. They had had continual problems with their septic system and since switching to body wash the problems had not recurred.

You had me worried and confused for a few seconds then until I remembered that grey (with an e not an a :wink: ) waste doesnt go in the septic tank.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would be reluctant to use bracken on my nether regions because of its carcinogenic nature. I doubt anyone has done serious research into bracken and bottoms, but I have worked outdoors in areas where bracken in common and I have tried to minimise contact with it. I suspect it also harbours sheep ticks. There are other plants that should be avoided for similar reasons. Oxford ragwort is one.

For cleaning oily hands there is little to beat a handful of wet grass. Never tried it on a bottom, though.
syklist

Post by syklist »

pwa wrote:For cleaning oily hands there is little to beat a handful of wet grass. Never tried it on a bottom, though.

Well as I said, facial wipes, the type for removing makeup, are easily the best thing for cleaning oily hands. Much better than any type of vegetation. Almost as good as 'swarfega' type soaps with gritty particles in them (or used coffee grounds and washing up liquid if you like the DIY solution).

As for grass, what do you do with the grass after you have contaminated it with oil? A wet wipe can easily be disposed of in a bin, or by burning.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... 9-14_18-33

Must admit that being childkess i don't know exactly what these things are but may possibly be useful for disposing of stuff in bins dn route.

If anyone has any views on them, jump in.

Also on offer various other baby products which mzy be of use.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

syklist wrote:
pwa wrote:For cleaning oily hands there is little to beat a handful of wet grass. Never tried it on a bottom, though.

Well as I said, facial wipes, the type for removing makeup, are easily the best thing for cleaning oily hands. Much better than any type of vegetation. Almost as good as 'swarfega' type soaps with gritty particles in them (or used coffee grounds and washing up liquid if you like the DIY solution).

As for grass, what do you do with the grass after you have contaminated it with oil? A wet wipe can easily be disposed of in a bin, or by burning.

It all finishes up in the environment, though. The net contribution with grass is just the oil. Probably in quantities comparable to what gets washed off your chain in the rain. With a wet wipe you add both oil and wet wipe to the environment.
syklist

Post by syklist »

pwa wrote:It all finishes up in the environment, though. The net contribution with grass is just the oil. Probably in quantities comparable to what gets washed off your chain in the rain. With a wet wipe you add both oil and wet wipe to the environment.

Although if you burn the wipe in your Bush Buddy whilst making your tea then the environmental impact of the wet wipe is further reduced,
pwa

Post by pwa »

syklist wrote:
pwa wrote:It all finishes up in the environment, though. The net contribution with grass is just the oil. Probably in quantities comparable to what gets washed off your chain in the rain. With a wet wipe you add both oil and wet wipe to the environment.

Although if you burn the wipe in your Bush Buddy whilst making your tea then the environmental impact of the wet wipe is further reduced,

Neat.