St Malo to Nice - lots of advice sought

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ChrisF

Re: St Malo to Nice - lots of advice sought

Post by ChrisF »

I've just done Roscoff to Nice and used the 'France En Velo' book for about half of the journey (mainly the second half). Great roads, a fantastic journey. I did try to stay sometimes at the 'Chambres d'hotes' listed in the book but they were all full, the book is clearly successful! Absolutely no problem camping though, plenty of space everywhere (early September) with the exception of the last one I tried near Nice Airport.
Chris F, Cornwall
jim.hodgson

Re: St Malo to Nice - lots of advice sought

Post by jim.hodgson »

We have just returned yesterday from a 21 day trip - 2 couples on 2 tandems from St Malo to Montpellier using the Bike Express to return. Great trip! Turned South after Chateauneuf du Papes and visited the Camargue en route to Montpellier.
We used the France en Velo route but only booked the first two B&Bs and after that a. just turned up and looked around for Chambres d'hotes b. went to Tourist Info c. rang up the places in the France en velo recommendations (can be downloaded as ebook into a kindle or kindle app on iphone) d. researched on internet day before or lunchtime. Never a problem finding somewhere.
We plotted the routes and uploaded to a Garmin 820 BUT essential to have a paper map back up.
We lost one day to illness which would have really messed up if we had booked in advance. We used paper maps to go off route to catch up on our schedule.
We did a blog which contains some nice photos to whet your appetite - please forgive the pastiche of some of the entries http://manche2med.blogspot.co.uk/
All the GPS routes are on plotaroute - search for M2M
Have a great trip.