Spa Cycles - custom build Long Haul Trucker?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Re: Spa Cycles - custom build Long Haul Trucker?

Post by mrjemm »

Sorry if I am hindering Spa, but if in Lanc, you would also do well to have a chat with Keep Pedalling in Manc., who are very good for custom builds of Surlys (& other brands, but Surly largely). Maybe not as cheap as Spa, but do a lot of this kinda thing, and often with flat bars. If nothing else, look at the gallery on their website. Sorry to not post a link, but using phone on slow connection.
cnb

Post by cnb »

Spa built up a Cross Check for me and made a really nice job of it..I supplied the frame and they did the rest...I already have a Disc Trucker(drop bar) but i'm now considering a flat bar version of either the Disc or LHT..Once i have made my mind up i'll be heading back to Spa cycles....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting cnb.

You sure like surlys!

Did you need guidance with sizing on that build, and possibly any fine tuning, or are you one of those expert folk who have it all worked out before?
Sweep
cnb

Post by cnb »

Ha. Nope i'm no expert..It was trial and error with me..With the Disc trucker i paid a visit to Cycle Heaven (York) had a test ride and ended up with a 52cm DT..I'm 5'8" and could probably ride a 54cm..Still not sure on that one, although i have completed quite a few miles on it including a couple of tours with no problems at all...I also took a shine to the Cross Check in the Dark dirty blue colour, but that only came as a single speed or frame only so i bought what i thought was the correct size frame and took it to Spa. I didn't ask for any size advice but took their suggestions regarding components..I found them to be really helpful and patient...If i do decide on a new DT or LHT I will want it built up as a flat bar bike and again i hope to use Spa cycles...I would also recommend Ghyllside cycles in Ambleside..They had a LHT built up as a flat bar tourer in their show room and it looked the bees knees...
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Wouldn't it be worth investing a day to two pre and post buildup just to get it all right? I am sure there are some great rides and if you somehow end up in York the Maltings is a lovely pub.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sorry sam, not sure i understand your post.

Care to elaborate?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

A somewhat negative comment in the comments to this article

http://tomsbiketrip.com/best-touring-bike-retailers-uk/

Should one worry?

I'm too old for bad communication and have learned a few lessons.

I'd just walk.
Sweep
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Sweep, you are only committing to a walk and a look inside a shop, and you say it is handy. I think you are over-researching this.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In my dealings with Spa I have enjoyed doing business with them. They can lack some of the "Have a nice day" polish, but they won't be trying to sell you something they don't believe in.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

high nm, it isn't that close to where I'll be actually - good places which can build up an LHT aren't that handy, especially in northern parts - so it wouldn't just be a wander in.

I did wander into a place mentioned in this thread, and deliberately at a quiet time, and didn't, at least until I was more assertive, get the best feeling. The shop needed to remind itself of the image it presents on its web site I think.

PWA - thanks for the encouraging perceptions - sounds good - I am not after the smarmy "have a nice day" concept of service.

(as I may have said above I did once have dealings with Spa over a couple of wheels - and as a pretty non techie person did have to take a bit of their time to discuss options - the experience was fine/very good, even when I had t call back later as they had left a spacer out of the shipment.
Sweep
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

I don't know anything about Spa Cycles but if you are having a touring bicycle custom built get hydraulic disc brakes fitted. They will run for thousands of miles, maintenance and adjustment free. You can bring spare pads in your pocket, these are so small you could bring enough for years on the road. Controllable and unbelievable stopping power in all weathers and unmatched reliability.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply cc but somewhat off topic.

I do have a bike with hydraulic rim brakes but this one will be cable Vs.

Just depends who will set it up/build it.
Sweep
irc

Post by irc »

cc1085 wrote: unmatched reliability.

:-)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=disc+ ... sQHS35ugAg

The hydraulic disc brakes on my Kona Kula MTB had to be scrapped after not much use due to sticking pistons. I'm not alone in having issues with disc brake reliability. V brakes on the other hand have very little to go wrong. There is a debate to be had about disc and rim brakes for tourers but reliability isn't an advantage over V brakes.
pal

Post by pal »

- good places which can build up an LHT aren't that handy, especially in northern parts - so it wouldn't just be a wander in.

I'd add another vote for Keep Pedalling, if you're after somewhere northern, with expertise in building up Surlys (and, in my experience, really excellent service): http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

pal wrote:
- good places which can build up an LHT aren't that handy, especially in northern parts - so it wouldn't just be a wander in.

I'd add another vote for Keep Pedalling, if you're after somewhere northern, with expertise in building up Surlys (and, in my experience, really excellent service): http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/

And a history of choosing flat bars for some Surly builds- their Straggler set up for Bike to Work was flat barred.

No shortage of Surly places in the North though- Bicycle Dr in Manc also. Practical Cycles. Cycle Heaven. Ghyllside. Spa of course. Am sure there are more. But I choose KP pretty much every time these days. Not a 'traditional' style of place, but very good place, and good folk. Shame they succumbed to selling Genesis too... effectively replacing Salsa.