Spa Cycles - custom build Long Haul Trucker?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Spa Cycles - custom build Long Haul Trucker?

Post by Sweep »

First apologies in advance:

1: Hope this is the right section for this question - have noted that others have asked about Touring/Expedition bikes in this section.

2: I have asked this or a similar question a couple of times as an aside in threads started by others but am not aware that I ever had much of a response - the threads went on their original course - am not complaining.

So:

Has anyone had a custom build with Spa, particularly flat bar?

What do you do about sizing/trying out?

Are they amenable to nattering about stuff or do they get impatient for a quick sale? I ask this after an experience with a nameless shop which didn't quite live up to its reputation/the image it promotes.

Will they incorporate bits that you have but which they couldn't get? - Reason I ask is not because I am trying to cut their margin. But I have a new pair of Alivio 8 speed shifters which I think are better (for my purposes) than anything they could source as a retailer through normal distribution channels. Am more then happy for them to supply all other bits - their wheels are great (I have a pair) and their chainsets appear to have an excellent reputation.

I stress that technically my "custom build" would be very straightforward - flat bar, 8 or 9 speed, more likely eight [figure spelled out - for some reason a second use of the digit is turned into a face by the forum software), 26 inch wheels, V brakes, square taper BB - my question is really more related to their interest in doing such stuff. Also, I maybe have formed an impression that they are more mail/internet order these days and have limited "shop" facilities. I have never visited them but they might well be handy for me.

I suppose the other reason I am asking on here first is that although I found them a joy to speak to when I bought my wheels from them I am aware that in some quarters in the past they have had a slightly fearsome reputation :)
Last edited by Sweep on 11 Sep 2015, 10:00am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
Bonefish Blues

Re: Spa Cycles - custom build Long Haul Trucker?

Post by Bonefish Blues »

I think IIRC there was a thread on exactly this subject only a couple of weeks ago, so worth a search I'd say.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I had my LHT built to my spec by my LBS. If Spa aren't local to you, what are the advantages of using them over someone more local?

If you know what you want in terms of spec, any competent bike shop should do and will be much easier for any follow up.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ah, I see that you have probably twigged that I'm in London.

Answer is I may be up north (where I'm from) when I'm getting this done - possible life change on the cards.

For anyone in London I'd recommend anyone consider Compton Cycles in Catford. Ask for Jim.

I don't know anyone who has had a LHT done there but on a casual chat one quiet afternoon I was very impressed with the way options were talked through.

So it may be Comptons or Spa if I've shifted myself up north.

I suppose an additional advantage of Spa is that I'm impressed by their wheels and what I have heard of their chainsets. So the sourcing of bits would be simpler.

So, anyone done such a thing with Spa or to they just tend to sell standard spec drop bar 10sp LHTs to folks who know exactly what they want sizing wise?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes Bonefish Blues I am well aware of that thread and you may well have spotted my red nose in it - and useful it was in many ways on related issues. Thanks to the OP for asking the original question and for the subsequent update.

But nowhere in that thread I think was there a reply from anyone who had used Spa for such a thing.

Which is why I have asked separately.

No hidden agendas or anything.
Sweep
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The thick end of Spa's business is building their own brand bikes to customers' spec., so they are used to that. They have "test bikes" of all the Spa own bikes in all the sizes for customers to ride, that should be enough to establish frame size.....note that Spa's Tourers are 700c in all but the smallest size, and have a slight top tube slope; the LHT is almost horizontal top tube. Spa geometry is on their website, it might be worth getting a hard copy of that, and also the LHT geometry to take to the shop, to compare top tube lenghts. Most of the test bikes will be drop bar, as that is more popular.
Provided you are happy with a standard stem, get them to build with your "best guess" of stem length, this can be swapped when you pick up the bike and test ride it. Thats probably as close as you will get to test riding a custom build.
They will incorporate your own parts.
You seem to have made up your mind about Compton cycles, and if you are staying in London it looks like they will get your business. If you move to Yorkshire, you could always visit Spa and see if you think you could work with them, if not, there are plenty of other bike shops in York, Leeds, etc.
PH

Post by PH »

Why not build it yourself? Get the supplier of the frame to fit headset and maybe bottom bracket and the rest just needs a set of allen keys and cable cutters.
If you like the idea of Spa wheels, just buy those. IMO the hardest part of building a bike up is the final adjustments, but these are things every cyclist would benefit from being able to do.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Further to what PH said, if you do move up North, there's a voluntary not-for-profit collective in Leeds called Peddlars Arms for people who want to learn how to work on their bicycles or don't have the tools.
http://pedallers-arms.org/
Maybe there's something similar in London too?
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Sweep wrote:Are they amenable to nattering about stuff

I spent at least an hour in the shop late last year discussing options, with no commitment to buy anything - so IME the answer is "yes"
Will they incorporate bits that you have but which they couldn't get?

I asked about rims and tyres which they did not stock. These were current items on the market, but rather than offer to source them, the said they would include them if I supplied them. (In the end I went with their stocked items.)

Generally I thought the service was excellent and I would happily buy from them again, but with one note of caution:

I visited the shop in late autumn, and there were hardly any other customers, and I got the impression the staff did not have a lot to do, and were very happy to chat. But I finally ordered my bike in May, and had some difficulty getting the order sorted out, and then had to wait weeks longer than the original estimate for the bike to be delivered. I was told there were staff sickness problems and as it's a small operation you have to make allowances ... just something to be aware of.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

most bike shops are fairly small, they dont have 23 staff, lucky if they have 3
Timuk

Post by Timuk »

At Spa just ask for Sam. He has built or is building himself a flat bar lht as his own touring bike and I am sure would be willing to chat about it ( I know he is exasperated that the rest of the team thinks it should be traditional style drop bar tourer)
He is a very knowledgeable mechanic and is often fronting sales counter also. They are happy there to advise and do just about anything you fancy with your build. They only sell stuff that actually works well. Not the best sales people in the world. Indeed I have often been in there and could have helped myself to a vast amount of stuff before someone turned up! But they do know their onions :-)
georgew

Post by georgew »

Spa built up an Airnimal Chameleon to my touring specifications so it's certainly not a worry. They have an immense amount of knowledge regarding touring and personally I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks to all for their replies (though more welcome).

On balance it all sounds sort of encouraging, even if as Colin seems to say, there are no test bikes for what I'm after (if Spa did a steel/chro-mo flat bar 26 inch bike I'd probably just go for it) - I'm afraid I'm not up to doing calculations with gemetries Colin - I don't have your expertise and I just scraped a decent O level maths before any talent I had for the mysteries of angles ran out.

What I could do though is give Spa some key measurements from two or three bikes I have and find comfortable and ask them to reproduce that as a first attempt by selecting appropriate stem lengths and angles etc built onto on appropriate size of frame. Do you think they would be amenable to that?

Encouraging that you seem to say that they would be willing to swap stems over with no cost.

It's that tinkering (with a possible mounting box of spare wasted bits) that puts me off trying to build one up myself PH. I am perfectly capable of doing that if I was supplied with a frame/headset installed/fork. But it's the sizing that would bother me.

Thanks for the heads up on Sam Timuk - good to know that there is one person there who isn't a drops-the-thing chap. Down the line I may call them one quiet afteroon and ask to speak to him.

My ideal 26 inch tourer would have a far more slopy top tube than the LHT but I have pretty much decided on that for various reasons.

I haven't actually fixed on Comptons Colin - but if when buying it I was in London I tend to think I would go for them after my positive experience.

But as I said it's possible a northern source might be handier - by the way Colin - I wouldn't be moving to Yorkshire but Lancashire. Am assuming that Spa do cross border trading :)
Sweep
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sweep wrote:.............What I could do though is give Spa some key measurements from two or three bikes I have and find comfortable and ask them to reproduce that as a first attempt by selecting appropriate stem lengths and angles etc built onto on appropriate size of frame. Do you think they would be amenable to that?.........

I think its much easier to just decide on the frame size, and have it built with an "average" stem. ......when you pick it up and test ride it, get the stem swapped to whatever suits you best.