Rain Jacket

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Rabbit

Re: Rain Jacket

Post by Rabbit »

You might want to look at Showers Pass jackets - not tried one but thinking of getting one seem to have good reviews but a bit pricey. Made in the US but available in the UK.

https://www.showerspass.com/products
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=93524&p=858090&hilit=keela#p858090

I have a Bergaus Demigog Goretex Paclite jacket,the Keela breathes better,is lighter and has better features
I also have a Paramo(forget the name) cycling specific jacket,full zip scoop tail detachable hood,it is breathable but nowhere near as light and packable as the Keela.

Edited for typos
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Sep 2015, 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

I now have two jackets which seem to offer the holy grail of waterproof and breathable.
If you are lucky you can get them both for less than 150 Euro each.

The Montane Minimus

and a Paramo Quito.

I have spent a lot of time looking for such items and never thought it possible. Though the fact that I have two jackets could mean that it isnt really possible after all.

The Minimus is for summer or warmer weather and spends most of its life in the saddlebag as a very light small packed up jacket. When I have to wear it it has kept the water out and let the sweat out too and I do sweat a lot! It seems as breathable as the Featherlite windproof which I have (and wear much more than the Minimus as it is cheaper and doesnt need special washing treatments).

The Quito is much bulkier, warmer and heavier (though still light) but you generally wear it when you want some warm clothing anyway and you will leave it on for the whole day, when it is raining and when it isnt. The zips open it up for excellent air flow if you start getting a bit hot riding in it. The breathability is excellent and you can dry out wet clothing underneath it.

Another thing which is very nice about both jackets is that they dont get soaked through and retain water in the fabric.
Yma o Hyd
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Over the years, I have used any number of jackets for touring. I loved my Greenspot Nomad which was state of the art in the seventies and there have been some others that were really good. But, there's no doubt that today's jackets are very much better than what we had before. Recently, I started using a Showers Pass Refuge jacket and it's been first class - by far the best I have ever used. It combines 3-layer Elite material with exceptional venting which results in a very high standard of breathability, waterproofness and venting. Another plus for me is that it is not designed for a tight 'race fit' so it's much more comfortable when on the bike for a long period.

Cheers

Bob