Grenoble 10 days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Philip041

Grenoble 10 days

Post by Philip041 »

Hello!
I have bought last minute tickets to Lyon (I plan to take the train to grenoble) for a ten trip but am fairly clueless of where to go.

I was meant to be in Romania for two weeks but my flights were cancelled :(

My plan is to wild camp and swim in a lake or two and eat some nice food. Any suggestions on a route for a moderately fit cyclist who would have otherwise been camping with the bears in Romania?

Cheers!
TrevA

Re: Grenoble 10 days

Post by TrevA »

Grenoble is very close to Bourg d'Oisans ansd some of the iconic TDF climbs - Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer, Lauteret/Galibier. You could either base yourself in the Romanche valley and tackle some of these or do a moving on circular tour over these and other climbs.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

i think the road from Bourg d'Oisans to the Lautaret is currently closed for emergency repairs to a tunnel. Don't know how long for - keep an eye,,,
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

nirakaro wrote:i think the road from Bourg d'Oisans to the Lautaret is currently closed for emergency repairs to a tunnel. Don't know how long for - keep an eye,,,

I don't expect it to be open this summer
The hillside through which the Chambon tunnel goes is falling into the lake.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/grenob ... sed.182525
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, just seen that the road is closed, but there are still plenty of riding opportunities in the area.

Check out http://www.bike-oisans.com for routes.

Col d'Ornon, La Berade, Les Deux Alpes plus some longer loops.

Or you could head over the Croix de Fer, down into the valley then up over the Madelaine and make you way back north towards Lyon.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

I have just come back from Bourg. We stayed at the RCN Belledonne campsite. Had a great time! Did Glandon/Croix de Fer on day 1, the Alpe day 2. We split the party into two on the last day. Fitter lads went to Ornon and took fantastic images looking down on the 21 bends. I went with the less fit lads, rode to LA Berade, came back to Venosc then up to Deux Alp. To be fair we did cheat and get the ski lift up!
The road to Lautaret is closed, but the bike Oisans website is really good for ideas
You will enjoy yourself. I will point out if you go to Bourg a few days either side of the TdF visit the place will be packed solid
Philip041

Post by Philip041 »

Thanks all. In the end I've gone for the Vercors!
Philip041

Post by Philip041 »

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. Some notes myself: I ended up heading south west from grenoble through the Vercors region to Die, and then across the col d'ornan to bourg d'oisans. Lovely and not as touristy/lycra clad as the romance valley.

The colporteur campsite is massively overpriced but apart from that great place thanks! I made it up alpe d'huez with all my touring kit in tow like a labouring donkey only to descend again on the road which goes to mizuen which I would highly recommend, beautiful.

If you fancy a break from cycling I took the bus from bourg d'oisans (free, twice a day) and took my bike and some via ferrata kit I rented for €14 to vaujany. There you can climb alongside a waterfall. It was baking hot so still hard work but a nice break from the saddle. Can then roll all the way back to bourg d'oisans.

Cheers