South from Rome over Xmas.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fatnold

Post by fatnold »

I have 2 weeks available to cycle tour at Xmas. We love riding in Italy so thinking the weather will be ok enough heading south. Can anyone recommend at route or partial route?? Traveling light , staying in hotels, 80-120k's a day is about the balance we like.
fatnold

Post by fatnold »

Thanks ubert767, I have seen that blog. Will pretty much use their route
as a starter. Really looking for suggestions/ ideas to ride beyond Amalfi Coast maybe though Pulgia??
Miles_Back

Re: South from Rome over Xmas.

Post by Miles_Back »

I am a big fan of Apuglia/Puglia and its regional capital (?) Lecce, but also include Ostuni and Otranto on your list of places to see. The region is dotted with "Trulli", which are rather attractive cone shape buildings - Alberobello is often cited as the epicentre of Trulli buildings (though I found it a bit touristy). The terrain in Puglia can be described as 50% flat and the other 50% is also flat!! So no need to spend too much time worrying about gearing. I also think Apuglia/Puglia has some of the finest food and wine in Italy... so a double whammy then!

I have only toured the area in mid to late September, even then a lot of the traditional seaside hotels were closing down as it was the end of the season for them. I'm reasonably sure that the large towns like Lecce cater for tourists throughout the year. I found Booking.com to be very handy for booking hotels/B&Bs in Italy and the places to be of a very high standard and not too expensive outside the main tourist season.

Boun viaggio, Miles Back