Location, Location, Location!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Will

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Post by Will »

Tigger wrote:I've put the potential locations on a Google map (I hope!) https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... Jv4pEONA20 Plus existing Hostels on Lewis. (I'll add Harris later...)

The hostel at Gearrannan is missing from your map. The hostel now appears to be run by the same people who rent out the other cottages in the village. It looks like it has had a major refurbishment since the last time I stayed there in 2006 (when it was run by the Gatliff trust): http://www.gearrannan.com/hostel.html

Will
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Will wrote:
Tigger wrote:I've put the potential locations on a Google map (I hope!) https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... Jv4pEONA20 Plus existing Hostels on Lewis. (I'll add Harris later...)

The hostel at Gearrannan is missing from your map. The hostel now appears to be run by the same people who rent out the other cottages in the village. It looks like it has had a major refurbishment since the last time I stayed there in 2006 (when it was run by the Gatliff trust): http://www.gearrannan.com/hostel.html

Will

Thank you, Will, you are quite right, I had forgotten Gearrannan. But the reason I forgot is because it is for groups only.

My hostel will favour the individual/ small groups. Though I may concede to block booking groups November to February.
Will

Post by Will »

Tigger wrote:Thank you, Will, you are quite right, I had forgotten Gearrannan. But the reason I forgot is because it is for groups only.

Their website would suggest that the hostel is open to individuals: "Please book to be certain of availability, but we will accept ‘walk-in’ residents if space is available."

Will
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Will wrote:
Tigger wrote:Thank you, Will, you are quite right, I had forgotten Gearrannan. But the reason I forgot is because it is for groups only.

Their website would suggest that the hostel is open to individuals: "Please book to be certain of availability, but we will accept ‘walk-in’ residents if space is available."

Will

Ah, interesting, thanks. Pretty sure that's new since I looked last year.

However, it still leaves a gaping hole in the south west of Lewis...
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I've just had a look at the Gearrannan Hostel website. While it looks as though it has had a bit of money spent on it and it looks very nice, I have to say I'm quite disappointed. All the basic charm seems to have been lost.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Tigger This sound very exciting and I do hope that you achieve your aims. I have toured in the Highlands many times on my motorcycles and met a good view bikers from Europe setting out for the OH so don't forget that area where boarders could come from.

Just in case you are not aware of it this link may be useful,

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Location may be driven by distance to Ferry. Ullapool - Stornoway are twice daily, arriving 13:00ish and 20:30ish, depart 07:00 and 14:00. You'd want to be within easy striking distance of the ferry port for those times as the folks will likely have either travelled long, or to travel long. If you've travelled all day, arrived in Stornoway at 20:00, you're not going to want to ride far... Likewise, facing a long journey, you don;t really want to be up at 3 to make the ferry at 7.

You could locate to one of the other smaller ferry ports on same basis.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

hondated wrote:Tigger This sound very exciting and I do hope that you achieve your aims. I have toured in the Highlands many times on my motorcycles and met a good view bikers from Europe setting out for the OH so don't forget that area where boarders could come from.

Just in case you are not aware of it this link may be useful,

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Thanks for the well wishes hondated, it is exciting but daunting too!

And thank you for the suggestion of including motorbikers in my target group list, and the link. I saw loads of m'bikers last year - heading from Tarbert to Stornoway - presumably just come off the ferry, going to some event. They all blasted past me, struggling up the Big Hill :lol:
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

BigFoz wrote:Location may be driven by distance to Ferry. Ullapool - Stornoway are twice daily, arriving 13:00ish and 20:30ish, depart 07:00 and 14:00. You'd want to be within easy striking distance of the ferry port for those times as the folks will likely have either travelled long, or to travel long. If you've travelled all day, arrived in Stornoway at 20:00, you're not going to want to ride far... Likewise, facing a long journey, you don;t really want to be up at 3 to make the ferry at 7.

You could locate to one of the other smaller ferry ports on same basis.

Hi BigFoz! Thank you, it's something to consider for sure. But... by your logic then all hostels must be in ferry ports? :? Don't forget that there's already a hostel and a bunkhouse in Stornoway. (And one in Tarbert, but it didn't open at all last year). On my second tour I planned my trip to start at Barra's Dunard Hostel (coming off the ferry at 10.30pm) and finish at the Heb Hostel in Stornoway so that I was close to the ferry for leaving next day.

Thinking about it in reverse, arriving at Stornoway, the choice is to stay in Stornoway (a matter of yards), head for Galson Farm (20 miles), Gearrannan (18 miles), Tarbert (36 miles but also two hostels on the way there), or 'my' hostel (min 25 miles, max 40 miles). So I think that's a nice range of distances. And even I can do 40 miles, fully loaded :lol:

The other thing is that the Island Council is trying to get three ferry crossings per 24 hours - including an overnighter - so the times may well change. I think CalMac are putting up a bit of a fight over it though.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Looks like you could be right on the additional crossing - the schedule is only till Sep, with changes due thereafter.

Wasn't suggesting IN the ferry port, but distance to cover, availability of light is. If you target audience is walkers, cyclists, Bikers then a walker would need to be able to get from the previous stopping point in one day's light, unless intending to wild camp on the way.

You could also consider a couple of small camping pitches if the garden is big enough...

And motorhome parking for when we're up...

It's a place I've been desperate to get out and see since we moved to Scotland 6 years ago. We're closing in on having the motorhome now, so maybe next summer. The beaches are awesome, and the water stunning (even if it is cold! I have a wetsuit...)