'Drive-thru' is not 'Ride-thru'...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

'Drive-thru' is not 'Ride-thru'...

Post by 661-Pete »

...so it seems - not even on horseback:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-23403935

So, it appears that the only way to get a horse into McD's is via the meat delivery truck.... :lol:

I have to confess, drive-thru establishments are beyond my experience, perhaps someone can explain how it is that:
"The health and safety of our customers and staff is our top priority, and for this reason we are unable to serve pedestrians, bicycle riders or customers on horseback through the drive-thru."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Re: 'Drive-thru' is not 'Ride-thru'...

Post by meic »

Is there really an offence of "causing alarm and distress to other customers and staff"?
Is that what they charge the breast feeding mothers with (even when not on horseback)?

Can you imagine a queue of cars at the drive-through with a line of queue-jumping cyclists filtering down the inside. 8)

I dont want McDonalds and they dont want me so we are both happy with their policy. :D
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Let's hear it for the horse! "Alarm and distress" indeed: I bet the customers were laughing their legs off. In any case, horse apples in a Macdo could only improve things.

Hum. Maybe that explains the coffee...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In other words - "we only serve lardarse motorists". :D
Good for them!

Alan
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What about motorcyclists?
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think she tried to get service at the drive through, they refused and so she went into the store and left the horse inside...

I can see how people might be alarmed and distressed at having a horse inside, they're not small and imo they're not necessarily predictable...
Si

Post by Si »

TBF, one could understand it if they were imposing the ban because they didn't want a gurt steaming dump of hoss poo out side the window from which they served food. However, I'm betting that that isn't the reason why they are banned, and certainly not why cyclists are banned (I hope!!!).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote:TBF, one could understand it if they were imposing the ban because they didn't want a gurt steaming dump of hoss poo out side the window from which they served food. However, I'm betting that that isn't the reason why they are banned, and certainly not why cyclists are banned (I hope!!!).

Oh I don't know. I've come up on some cyclists that I could smell a good 50 yards downwind!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

kwackers wrote:
Si wrote:TBF, one could understand it if they were imposing the ban because they didn't want a gurt steaming dump of hoss poo out side the window from which they served food. However, I'm betting that that isn't the reason why they are banned, and certainly not why cyclists are banned (I hope!!!).

Oh I don't know. I've come up on some cyclists that I could smell a good 50 yards downwind!

And never mind what they left on the restaurant floor...
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

McDonalds have form on this issue, but KFC seem more accommodating - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-KFC.html

A woman riding in a horse and carriage was turned away from a McDonald's drive-thru after they were deemed a health and safety hazard.

Debbie Murden was refused service at the hatch of the fast food restaurant in Alfreton, Derbyshire, after staff said it was too dangerous to serve her when she was in the carriage.

So 42-year-old Ms Murden steered her transport - pulled by a Welsh Cob stallion called Dago - over the road to KFC where staff were happy to take her order.

See, everyone was happy in the end! :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This has been brought up at least a couple of times before...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=51841

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54760
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

One route I use for the commute takes me past 2 fa(s)t food places, as I approach them I speed up. Not cause I want to get to them quicker but cause I want to get past them quicker, the smell eminating from them isn't the most appetising.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:Is there really an offence of "causing alarm and distress to other customers and staff"?

FWIW, "behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to others" is indeed considered a minor offence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_pena ... r_disorder
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:This has been brought up at least a couple of times before...
So has the typical McD's meal..... :lol:
IGMC
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:This has been brought up at least a couple of times before...
So has the typical McD's meal..... :lol:
IGMC

Bleh. Did you have to? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom