I Dislike Cookies

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

I Dislike Cookies

Post by Edwards »

Not the Biscuit ones but the ones that infect computer use.

The story starts about a week ago. I won an item on an online auction and attempted to pay with their system. But the pay bit was not my pal at all.
It demanded that I allow Cookies to be sent to my computer.
Now the setting for these things was the default one but try as hard as I may I could not set my computer so that it was open enough the use their system.
I sent the seller a message and paid £15 for the Bed Settee cash.

Afterwards I reset the computer to the default setting and noticed a tick box that asked for permission before accepting these Cookies. Now I was told as a child not to accept sweets or biscuits form strangers so I clicked on that.
I just got a surprise when I clicked on the thread about the CTC shop. They wanted to send me a Cookie and not the usual sweets.

I am now wondering if this is legal?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Geriatrix

Re: I Dislike Cookies

Post by Geriatrix »

For about a year now the law requires that a web page must seek consent before they can place a cookie or any tracking software on your PC. You may sometimes give consent without being aware that you are doing so because it may just be a warning notice which you must click "OK" to close.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What Operating system XP etc :?:
Cookies from sites that you TRUST are normally ok.
Unfortuanately the sites that you trust are entwined with marketing and tracking type sites, and you can find that accepting some of these is the only way to get the Trusted site to work.
Most computer users use the computer straight out of the box, loaded with higf street logo'ed antivirus and firewall software.
Apparently 90 % of computers online are infected with a virus or and tracking cookies.
Mobil phones have options for passwords but who use's them :?:
Phone hacking of celebs happened because the users did't / were not advised/ whatever change default passwords.
Simple passwords can be hacked by downloading free software.
Most FREE software has some other apps that are automaticly installed with it.
Cookies identify user which is needed mostly if you want to log on and probably helps with smooth running of sites.
You can delete cookies from your computer, also change default setting in Operating system to allow / block.
Just keep an eye on what you allow.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

What drives me nuts is that I can no longer go on any website without it continuously throwing cookie warnings at me...

This site explains why.

Basically the whole fiasco is just due to the usual story of people trying to protect us without knowing what they're doing (a bit like compulsory helmet laws)

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Apparently 90 % of computers online are infected with a virus or and tracking cookies.

Apparently more than half of cyclists admit to running red lights.
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:... 90 % of computers online are infected with a virus or and tracking cookies ...

Viruses and cookies are entirely different. A cookie will not harm your computer. It is not a program that actually does something but a small inert text file.
700c

Post by 700c »

If a site requires cookies to perform certain functions (as is the case with most ecommerce sites), then the site should have a page which explains about cookies and how to turn them off - the page should note that if you decide to turn off cookies, you most likely will not be able to purchase.

If a site contains 3rd party cookies (that is cookies that are non-essential to the site function), then the cookies page on the site should also note this, and direct you to the relevant page on the external site that is setting the cookie (eg, a youtube video on a page sets cookies from youtube, even though you have not visited youtube directly).

Sites can assume "implied consent" when you visit them - this is enough to satisfy the EU e-privacy directive 9as of todays date, may change in the future, who knows).

All in all, cookies are nothing to be concerned about, unless you like to wear a tin-foil hat.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

700c wrote:... All in all, cookies are nothing to be concerned about ...

Exactly.

700c wrote:... the EU e-privacy directive ... may change in the future

It may indeed, or not even apply at all, then there won't be a need to bother with the cookie approval nonsense. They are part of the official protocol of the world wide web and the directive only causes confusion IMO. My only complaint is that some web browsers make it difficult to turn cookies off (or delete them) if that is what someone wants to do.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi
patricktaylor wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:... 90 % of computers online are infected with a virus or and tracking cookies ...

Viruses and cookies are entirely different. A cookie will not harm your computer. It is not a program that actually does something but a small inert text file.

Yes true, but a Tracking cookie will / can track your internet use.
Your profile is seen when you surf the net, this is not due to cookies, but acceptance of to allow other software small as it might be to run on your computer, cause you have allowed it, when you just visit sites.
If you are leaving the door wide open, you will have quite a few spam emails, like several a week.
Best to allow nothing, till you allow it.
Most emails do not contain viruses only the attatchment if any.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:... a Tracking cookie will / can track your internet use ... If you are leaving the door wide open, you will have quite a few spam emails, like several a week ...

There is no connection I know of between cookies and spam emails.

Part of the problem with the EU directive mentioned above is that it causes confusion and people become needlessly suspicious of opening the door to something. It is a bit like the postman knocking on your door and asking (when you are about to open it) "are you sure you want to open this door?"
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

patricktaylor wrote:There is no connection I know of between cookies and spam emails.

Indeed. Incidentally, if you're running Firefox on a PC, it's up to you whether or not you accept third-party cookies. It's a basic browser setting.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The way http works you need cookies in order to maintain sessions. It's usually a short bit of text which usually contains a userid or session code. It's just so that the next time you contact that webpage it knows that it's the same person that was talking to it a moment ago. The important thing to remember for cookies is that they are only accessible from the domain that created them. So for example forum.ctc.org.uk will deposit a cookie, if you then go to dodgywebsite.com they wouldn't be able to look at that cookie - or know it exists.

The main problem with cookies is the stupid law which requires I'm asked about it, I can't just go to the Trek site (to name but one) without having to click through two screens asking me about cookies first.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
patricktaylor wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:... a Tracking cookie will / can track your internet use ... If you are leaving the door wide open, you will have quite a few spam emails, like several a week ...

There is no connection I know of between cookies and spam emails.

Your right of course, but you have misquoted me above.
You have quoted me from two incomplete sentances and joined them up, to make up a statement :?:
Back on track, obssesion with cookies, but I bet they get spam emails :?:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Geriatrix wrote:cookie or any tracking software on your PC.

I know you didn't actually say that but cookies are not "tracking software"
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If I may just clear one thing up. I know about cookies and tracking software and am not obsessed or really that bothered.

The point I was making was I visited a topic on the CTC forum and because I just happen to have clicked on "Ask before", so I got more than some messages about allowing some.

One was a tracking thing claiming to be a cookie and the other was from the CTC shop. As the company is the subject of the thread, how come they have a cookie on this forum with associated tracking?

Is this legal?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Mark1978 wrote:
Geriatrix wrote:cookie or any tracking software on your PC.

I know you didn't actually say that but cookies are not "tracking software"

Yes it's not tracking software but cookies are tracking tokens because they can keep a record of your browse and search and purchase activities.

They can and are used to market goods to you, and Google uses then to tailor your search results.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman