Gah, I wish...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fatgirlonabicycle

Gah, I wish...

Post by fatgirlonabicycle »

... my colleague would stop making jokes about knocking me off my bicycle if he saw me out riding when he's driving.
Edwards

Re: Gah, I wish...

Post by Edwards »

Just tell him that now he has said it, that if he should do that to you that it could be called premeditated.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

Jokes like that are about as funny as a not very funny thing indeed
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fatgirlonabicycle wrote:... my colleague would stop making jokes about knocking me off my bicycle if he saw me out riding when he's driving.

You could retort, in a jocular way, that you have been googling "IEDs" and stockpiling fertiliser. That would obviously tickle his sense of humour.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mike Sales wrote:You could retort, in a jocular way, that you have been googling "IEDs" and stockpiling fertiliser. That would obviously tickle his sense of humour

I wonder if you over estimating his intelligence?
Keith Edwards
Si

Post by Si »

I used to work with someone like that. It is annoying. Generally the person in question probably just thinks that they are being funny and having a laugh...don't know if this is so in your case? If it is then maybe just have a quiet calm chat with them, start by explaining that you realise that they didn't mean anything by it but explain that you do feel hurt by it as you have had some frighteningly close encounters with people who seemed happy to do you harm without a care in the world, and that your colleague's attitude reminds you of them. Also point out that you know (via this form if not in real life) people who have been seriously injured by careless motorists and so if he tries to see it from your point of view you would hope that he'll understand the problem.

If he should reply by saying that it's not really a joke and he does mean you harm then take the secret recording that you have been making of the chat to your line manager and ask them if they want to sort it out or should you go straight to the police?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Alternatively tell him a "Cyclepath" wants to meet him. :wink:
Keith Edwards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fatgirlonabicycle wrote:... my colleague would stop making jokes about knocking me off my bicycle if he saw me out riding when he's driving.

Tell him you wouldn't want to be the one to let his tyres down on his car,but you feel a need for some form of defence :D .
Or you could record him saying it on your phone and play it back to him,then see how he reacts when you tel him you'll be keeping it as evidence :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I used to work with someone who subjected me and another cyclist to some harrassment. I no longer work there, and I am better for it.

My advice: let the person know that jokes about knocking you off your bike are bullying*, not jokes. If he does not respond approproriately (i.e. by apologising and stopping), take it to your manager, union or human rescources department. Obviously something like this requires some care, and you may wish to consider obtaining legal advice before taking action against someone. Some workplaces are very good about dealing with things like this. Some deal with it, but the complainent may not be treated with adequate consideration. Other workplaces may dismiss allegations of bullying or harrassment as 'his word against yours' or not deal with it at all. If it comes to that point, and your workplace does not take positive action in such circumstances, I would recommend seeking legal advice.

Bullying may be characterised as offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, intended to humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Next time he does it, walk right up to him, throw your arms round his neck, then press your index finger firmly into his eye socket and say "Are you sure you're allowed to drive when you have only one eye?"
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I once retorted to someone with a big gob that I would stab them in the face with my old 10" chefs knife if I ever saw them out in their car as I'd be anticipating them trying to kill me with the tin box under their control, funnily enough I never heard anything after that :twisted:
Blunt but effective
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Or a simple...."When they were dishing out brains, were you in the queue for a second helping of gob?".....sometimes works. :wink: