The Far East

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

The Far East

Post by Mick F »

Just got back from the Far East, we went over to Kent for the wedding of my niece. Never been to Kent before - other than passing through to the Channel Ferries.

We stayed at a pub in the village of Wye - near Ashford - lovely place, quiet and peaceful.

Woke up yesterday morning at 7am to see broad daylight!!!! :shock:
We haven't seen daylight at 7am here in Cornwall since we put the clocks back!

I checked out the daylight level here this morning to see what time the daylight level was the same as I remembered it in Kent at 7am. I reckon it was at least 7:40 before it was the same. No wonder the Southeasterners and the London centric communities want to change the clocks!

It may have only been 40+mins, but it was pitch dark here at 7am.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Re: The Far East

Post by reohn2 »

The valley Mick,the valley
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Thought this would be a thread about Skeggy.
:oops: :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No. It's not that.

We have hills west and east, but sunrise isn't daylight. Even if it is "dark" in the valley, the sky is still light, and we can see northwards to east and west, and southwards wide open to east and west. Daylight here isn't a problem, but sunshine into the afternoons is.

I mean it is DARK here - and all around - at 7am. Traffic needs headlights on here, in Kent at 7am they didn't.

No doubt Skeggy is less light than Kent, but it'll be lighter than here.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you're meaning is that because Cornwall is further west and therefore the sun comes up later then we are only talking about numbers 7am,8am,whats the difference, you get it back at the end of the day with a later sunset.
Valleys steal light like darkly painted rooms do,more so if they're on a north south axis.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If there was one single thing that the government could do to improve the quality of life for us here in the south, for me putting us on French time would be it. Sorry to Scotland and NI - feel free to do your own thing.
Kent is a cracking place, so many nice places to visit. The topography of the Cornish countryside that I recently visited always reminds me that it would have been a foolish place to retire to. Too crowded in summer these days according to everyone and those calf stretching hills that go on and on... Still the freezer has been topped up with frozen pasties and excellent Cornish sirloins.
One and all!
Al :D
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jan19

Post by jan19 »

It was a particularly bright morning here yesterday - in fact the whole day was lovely.

I got to work at 7.30 this morning and it was still half-light and gloom...

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jan,
Yes, the weather was wonderful Sat and Sun in Kent. That must have made all the difference to the light level, but even when it's clear here, the stars are still twinkling at 7am. No way is it anywhere near daylight.

Al,
This part of Cornwall varies little with the tourist season, all the emmets and grockles go to the sea-side.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

It isn't just the longitude that affects the hours of daylight. Latitude does it too. Go to JOG in August, you get more daylight than Derbyshire gets at the June Solstice. It works the other way round in winter. It's all in the declination angle y'know! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:
Al,
This part of Cornwall varies little with the tourist season, all the emmets and grockles go to the sea-side.

Mick,
Although I have been going to Cornwall since 1946 I didnt know where Gunislake is. I can see with your Navy background how you ended up there. According to my OS map its right on the Devon border with some horrible hills. Many of our Cornish friends pressured us to move down there when we finally sold our holiday home (lostwithiel) but the old knees can no longer cope with so many long steep hills. I can see you are nicely tucked away and not bothered by any grockleboxes with those double vee ascents. We still have to get a regular Cornish fix though, its a great county with a fantastic sense of community and warmth. Hope your knees continue to survive it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

I reckon that darkness seeps out of the botom of all those old Cornish tin mines carried up by the Radon gas. :wink:

Long time since I was last in Wye, I remember discovering a suspicious crack in my Jackson frame just after descending at 40mph+ into Wye.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I saw the hillside. I remarked to Mrs Mick F, "I see they have a hill in Kent!"

Hills don't faze me, they can't can they? Living here as a cyclist, you have to have a certain sort of physique - or lack of brain to even consider cycling.

When I commuted to Devonport, we lived at the top of Gunnislake Hill, so when I pedalled away at 06:30, it wasn't too bad to get going. Had we lived here back then, I doubt I'd have been so eager to ride to work.

Gunnislake:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnislake
Mick F. Cornwall
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Yes, I saw the hillside. I remarked to Mrs Mick F, "I see they have a hill in Kent!"

We have a ridge of lovely ones Mick. They're called the North Downs and while not quite as spectacular as their siblings the South Downs they still present a goodly few climbs. (Not that I've ever cycled up them except at a fairly gentle point - I prefer to walk up them) . Some quite fabulous views at the top.

The area around Tonbridge is fairly lumpy too...

Jan :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

e.g.Image
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade