Mrs Mick F doesn't like it

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Mrs Mick F doesn't like it

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F doesn’t like it.

I showed it to her when she came in from work, and her instant reaction was, “It’s childish.”
Also: “inelegant” and “inappropriate” and also “cheap, nasty and pathetic.”

She added that it should be "sleek and efficient" and that thing "looks like an add-on!"
It was “wrong” and “un-professional”, and that “she would be ashamed to be seen with it!”

What was she talking about?
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Re: Mrs Mick F doesn't like it

Post by ferrit worrier »

Shopping basket ! but not on "the" bike, perhaps for Barberella?
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Your new Lejog trike?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nope
and
Nope

Keep guessing.
Mick F. Cornwall
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

An electric motor for your Mercian.
peter99

Post by peter99 »

bike trailer
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Clues:
Bought from Wiggle/CTC Shop
Out for a test later today.
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Your new mirror?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Its your new Helmet Cam, and you are going to test it down Pork Hill :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

toontra wrote:Your new mirror?

YES!

She doesn't like it. And I don't blame her, it's awful.

Maybe it will be fine and work very well, but it looks naff and childish and would be very good on a child's bike.

The mirror feels cheap and plasticy, and sticks out rather vulnerably. Anyway, off for a test soon, but I think I will only use it whilst towing. The good thing about it, is that it comes off easily!
Mirror1.jpg
Mirror2.jpg
Mirror3.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Completely functional and folds away when not in use,very good bit of kit :D .

PS If I told you it was made in Italy would it make it any better :roll:

PPS,You're s'posed to look though it not at it :P

PPPS, In one of the photos I'm peering over an aluminium box on (I presume) a trailer.Mick,I don't know how to break this to you but you street cred is already shot, a ickle mirror won't do it any more harm me thinks :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have one of those. Its in my box of bits. Blinking nuisance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just come back from a test ride - complete with concrete block in the trailer.

Yes, street cred already shot with a trailer, so the mirror fits with it ok. No, it doesn't fold away, and actually gets in the way quite a bit. The Italian Road Bike Mirror I had until recently was superb in its neatness and unobtrusive-ness, but the mirror glass kept coming off.
http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2 ... ode=MIRROR

However, apart from this Cateye mirror's bad points, it actually worked very well. It was easy to adjust and had a good clear view of behind. I also think that following vehicles could see it, and consequently they would believe I'd seen them - not obvious with the Italian mirror.

Getting down on the drops wasn't easy, I had to be careful not to knock the mirror, but even if I had, I couldn't use it when down on the drops anyway as I couldn't see it! I tried to rotate the mirror vertically downwards in an effort to get over this problem, but if it is pointed down, it can't be adjusted to see properly.

Given the choice, it would be the Italian Road Bike Mirror every time - providing the damned glass would stay in!

(Thinks: as this Cateye mirror has plastic glass, perhaps I could cut it to the right shape and fit it on the Italian offering.)
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick,It works better if you rotate the holder so the mirror folds up not down so that when folded out in the riding position its against the stop with little stalk pointing to the right parallel to the h/bar tops,it then folds up between tops and drops when parking.
With it fitted like that theres less chance of disturbing it when going to the drops,with which I have no trouble at all and with a lot shallower drops and quite big hands.It also won't be disturbed by the odd pothole encounter either.
The fact that I have to move my arm slightly to see through it I find to be a good point as its less disracting.
Other points I find good about this mirror are that when on the continet its easily swapped to the other side,and its made of bendy polythene type plastic making it practically indetructable,carrying a spare when on tour is easy as its flat in the luggage,light and cheap :)

Give it a fair crack Mick,I wouldn't be without mine :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I'm guessing you use a helmet. Have you considered a helmet mounted mirror?

The other thing - as you like to form and function of the old mirror so much, I would still be thinking about how it could be fixed or improved. I know you had trouble gluing the mirror to it's base. Was there no 'frame' for the glass to sit in, that could help hold it in place?

If the frame had an edge that overlapped the glass, then surely the glass wouldn't pop out. If it didn't or was inadequate, I'd want to improve that frame. You know, just like conventional picture frames hold the glass - surely that method would would stop the glass from popping out. Perhaps a ring of tightly stretched inner tube would serve such a function?

Sorry if this is now irrelevant or not possible and I know that you lost the glass. Just my musings on the subject :) .