Guilty for years, apparently

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
whoops

Guilty for years, apparently

Post by whoops »

Having eaten Sunday roasts for years it seems I have been guilty of something but I wasn't sure what it was!
Now I know. I Have just seen a magazine with recipe for low-fat, low-calorie Sunday dinner with the headline "GUILT-FREE SUNDAY ROASTS".
Now the problem is I've never felt guilty so now I'm feeling guilty for not knowing that it's a crime to be guilty of.
hubgearfreak

Re: Guilty for years, apparently

Post by hubgearfreak »

that's the wrong sort of magazine, that's all

although, i can't think of a single magazine that isn't the wrong sort, they're all just a waste of money and resources full of adverts for more wastes of money and resources i reckon. the very backbone of a consummerist society propping up a capatilist system that itself is dependant upon depleteing at an ever increasing rate the worlds finite resources.

if you ask me, which you didn't :lol:
whoops

Post by whoops »

[quote="hubgearfreak"]
although, i can't think of a single magazine that isn't the wrong sort, they're all just a waste of money and resources full of adverts for more wastes of money and resources i reckon. the very backbone of a consummerist society propping up a capatilist system that itself is dependant upon depleteing at an ever increasing rate the worlds finite resources.

Wow!! :) :)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I completely agree there Hubgear. :mrgreen:
3 magazines = 1 chain. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

My chain is in need of replacement, how do I make one from three magazines?

Obvious now I've thought about it, Blue Peter style. Magazines + Scissors + sticky-back plastic + grown-up to help = Paper Chains! :D
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I also agree with Hubgearfreak, although he has put it better than I ever could. It's funny but this thread has touched on something that has been in the back of my mind for ages, i.e. why buy magazines? Every week, whilst Milady is choosing the sunday roast, I am a few aisles along perusing the magazines, generally the cycling mags and the model railway mags. Eash time I see something that looks interesting and wonder, "shall I?" my eyes soon go to the bottom right corner where that all-important, and small print, number. Strangely enough, this week I weakened and bought Cycling Active and have got as far as the article on £300 bikes. In my garage, I have a hugh stack that represents years of subscriptions to Railway Modeller & British Railway Modelling, and a small ransom at todays prices. Yet a high proportion of the content is devoted to shop adverts, what would interest me would probably cover about 2 pages. So in the end I decided that I was paying a high price for something that although containing something of interest, was possibly of no direct use to me, but which took up a lot of space. This magazine in front of me is a one-off, I doubt if I'll repeat it.
Not guilty, your honour.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

the magazines that cycleruk and alan are referring to are simply full of adverts for the latest, must have products. whilst they make us feel all aquisitional for the latest bike, car, fishing rod, hifi or whatever the only real harm is to the gullible's credit card and the earths stock of finite resources.

the type of magazine that whoops mentions in the OP, is imho, worse than that. i imagine that it's aimed at women who aren't still in the first fush of youth, probably mums leading busy lifes looking after their children and doing a wonderful job of it too. however, these toxic publications full of photos of the very prettiest and slimmest 19 year olds specifically set out to make their readers feel fat and ugly unless the target group buy overpriced and unproven pseudoscientific cures for the natural and normal aging process. an utter discrage and something i would make ilegal if ever elected to PM

rant over :oops:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hubbers
Theres a far worse magazine type than the ones you mention,Hello,OK,etc.
I recently picked one up whilst in the dentist,as if the dentist wasn't bad enough but that tripe is completely beyond the pail(or is it pale :? ),after thumbing through it I found myself asking the question,"just who buys this tripe" its completely beyond my comprehension that any sane human being would walk into a shop and pay money to look at pictures of "celebrities" and their houses :? I was,and still remain, at a loss.
The only magazine I get is C+ (my SinL is a librarian and brings it home after they recieved the lastest copy) more tripe,as someone else said up thread,it used to be half decent but at £3.95 a pop its ridiculously expensive for what is in it and I find myself increasingly more distanced from what it peddles.
I used to subscribe to Fine Woodworking,a semi pro US mag which was a very good read for anyone interested in cabinet making etc,it was so good I still have a stack and can't bring myself to throw them away, so if anyone is willing to pay the postage let me know :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

CAMRA Highlands and Islands FREE magazine :!:
Good read, fantastic value !
whoops

Post by whoops »

Blimey! The thing is gents, should I feel guilty, or not, eating a Sunday roast, or should I eat the rotten thing on Saturday? Or should I get it wrapped in environmentally-friendly recycled paper and carry it home in a bio-degradable plastic bag and have it cooked in a wood burner fuelled by wood from the well managed forests from the National Trust and not timber from the rainforests which apparently need saving [from mankind, apparently!] :? :?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I like Practical Classics, I have stacks of old Aero Modeller and Model Aircraft. Magazines for those who actually do things

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The magazine gives good advice, on Sundays you should not eat the traditional roast. Eat one every other day of the week then have a day of rest and have vegan veggie tofu type second hand crap or eat the magazine. :wink: :lol:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The only magazine I've ever enjoyed was BYTE.

In the early years it was wonderful, bulging with technical articles at the front of computing technology. It carried Microsoft's very first advert, for a BASIC interpreter.

But magazines are no longer where we look for technical articles. Yesterday I bumped into the fact that I can instal a BASIC interpreter on my Canon camera, and thus write my own programs for it. Wow. I discoverd this on the web, of course (just like the factoid about Microsoft).

These days, magazines are like the later years of BYTE: bulging with editorials that push products, and adverts for those products.

EDIT: http://byte.com reminds us that today is the 30th anniversary of the IBM PC, which for me marked the end of the quality that was BYTE magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The problem is, if most of us were to write a magazine, it would say something like: eat what you like & get out on yer bike.

The folks who buy these things don't want to hear that. They want to hear how they can recover their trim figures for 20 minutes a day and enjoy guilt-free Sunday roasts. Because otherwise those Sunday roasts are full of stuff the same magazines say are bad for us. :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

The good thing about "capitalist" magazines is that you don't have to buy them. Whether or not you buy them is a matter of choice, unlike socalist or communist magazines which are likely to be compulsory and put on the school curriculum. :wink:
Some of them can occasionally be quite entertaining and informative. My daughter got the teenage "Loveit" magazine for a while and my bedroom skills' knowledge base grew enormously IMHO.
She worked for them briefly in an unpaid capacity but decided that it she wanted to do something more useful in her working life.
Generally they simply fill up the pages with ephemeral trivia.
Their technique is often to write an article which is outrageous and impinges on most people's lives by having a "shock-horror" headline like "Sunday roasts can kill".
Complete load of small spherical objects of course but some impressional people will unfortunately believe it and become vegetarians, but so what?
Then later they can fill up more space by retracting and publishing another shock-horror story "Sunday roasts are good for you!"
To survive and proper in such an environment I suspect you must have a sense of humour and the ability to fell comfortable doing something which is intrinsically useless.
The same comment applies to much of the media IMHO.
jonty