Treading a Fine Line

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Treading a Fine Line

Post by Mick F »

I've offended someone on this Forum. I came on a bit strong about a subject close to my heart, and have been 'spoken to'.

I must say, that I unreservedly apologize for any hurt or upset I may have caused. I've never meant to hurt anyone, I really am a nice and friendly chap!

We all tread a fine line when a person comes on this Forum and makes a point or asks a question, we must treat everyone with courtesy, delicacy, respect and support. I fell short of this.

Sorry.

Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

hehe, that's alright mick. :wink:

it wasn't me. :wink: but i know what you mean.
on the other hand..we all as forum users should try to be quite thick skinned and give people the benefit of the doubt.
if something is written that could be construed as offensive, it probably could also be construed as an attempt at humour, so always read them as the latter :D
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I can't believe anyone complained about you Mick - wasn't Mrs Mick, was it?
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

All right :!: Own up, who complained, and about what :?:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It has been suggested that I delete my apology, as the thread has already been removed. I thought I'd let it stand as a discussion about treating the more sensitive members, especially new ones, with a little care.

I do feel bad about the experience and wish it hadn't happened.

Nuff said.

Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Didn't know we had sensitive people on this forum. Isn't the Tea Shop for banter and fun?

Perhaps they should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/What-You-Think-No ... 051509479X
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

First the mag and now the forum :!:
Is this political correctness gone mad :?:
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

I think we have to take care with new members - definitely.

A new Which report recently claimed that senior citizens' favourite pastime was surfing the internet. That means we have an awful lot of inexperienced, older people joining forums such as ours. People who may be used to a more genteel form of communication and who might expect civility to be very important.

We had a woman/lady who recently took her first steps onto the board. She has, by her own admission nearly 60 years' experience of cycling; so let that be a gauge of her age. Whilst she was not bombarded by abuse, far from it, nevertheless, she was not exactly welcomed with open arms. The CTC membership, on average, is a fairly crusty, old bunch, so this lady will not be alone in her status.

There is no warning to say the Tea Shop is a forum for more robust threads. In fact, I think the name suggests the opposite - a laid-back place for more relaxed discussion is what the name suggests to me.

I don't think political correctness enters into this in the slightest. I think we all have to try to read between the lines whether a question/posting is from a new user. Simply apply the same levels of civility and consideration as you would elsewhere in life. What's wrong with that?
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

It certainly is political correctness when you have to alter your behaviour so as not to offend anyone who maybe of a sensitive nature.
As far as I know, Mary Whitehouse died some time ago :D
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Terry T wrote:It certainly is political correctness when you have to alter your behaviour so as not to offend anyone who maybe of a sensitive nature.

I disagree. No one behaves the same to all people in all circumstances. I would never use the language I use at closing time on a Friday at the Sunday lunch table.

You'll have to expand on the MW argument, I'm afraid...
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

ThomasDylan wrote:
Terry T wrote:It certainly is political correctness when you have to alter your behaviour so as not to offend anyone who maybe of a sensitive nature.

I disagree. No one behaves the same to all people in all circumstances. I would never use the language I use at closing time on a Friday at the Sunday lunch table.

You'll have to expand on the MW argument, I'm afraid...

You know what, I don't think I'll bother.
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Good
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

I am amazed (but not surprised, I suppose) that anybody should take offence at you. May I be nosy and ask you to pm me with a rundown? In the interests of helping me avoid a similar faux pas, you understand.

May I suggest that if we are to avoid offending anybody else we should all adopt some symbols which the Admin might usefully provide alongside or instead of the silly little faces? I offer my own self-image as an example of what I have in mind. I might be represented by a rhinocerous (thick-skinned) Duracell rabbit (goes on and on) rucksac (rambler) elephant (never forgets, or at least has a fund of anecdotes dating from the dim and distant past, but cannot remember today's breakfast menu) and of course, a drill.

Others might have their own list and in compiling it, may even learn something about themselves.

FWIW I am not at all sure that all he 'newcomers' are quite as new as they appear. :roll:
Jac

Post by Jac »

Well I'm confused - is this a new 'offending' that I must of missed - or is it the one that was censured starting up again :?:
whoops

Post by whoops »

Well, I sorry, but I'm not surprised that you have been "spoken to""
Lets face it Mick you have been beyond the pale {Pail, Pal, or
bucket] of late. I mean, let's look at some of the language you've used lately in recent posts: MIXTE, with no thought to people's feelings on such a beastly five letter word and [without referring back to said article] SAND BL**LASTING might be a bit offensive, again without any thought on how we might feel about such a word. POWDER COATING completely disregarding any one's feeling on the hyphenation issue. And finally, Not just workshop, but LARGE workshop. Well, I for one am not suprised of the reprimand. I think you should go up to your bedroom and think, and revaluate you life and plan a new beginning. When you come back a new man, then perhaps we'll let you play with us again. My blessing Mick.