Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old blue eyes

Post by old blue eyes »

Once again pictures of my new Flying Gate.
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Mick F wrote:Here's my temporary steed.

My Mercian Vincitore is in for a well-earned facelift with the good people in Derby. I stripped all goodies off the frame before handing it in, and have now transfered them all onto my Vitus Duralinox frame. Just got back from a short test-ride.

The frame is a little too small for me, but with a longer-reach stem and a taller seat-pin, the geometry is just about ok. The frame is a 74deg out and out racer, but because of the flexible Vitus tubing, gives a surprisingly comfortable ride. In fact, it's a delight!

When I was a teenager, the Duralinox was my dream bike.
I used to stand in Harry Halls all glassey eyed.
That is a stunner.
Nicer ride than the chopper? :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh yes! Chopper - still in bits awaiting a decision - is not the best ride in the world!

Vitus is in the workshop. I actually don't know what to do with it, I have this pipe-dream to re-build it as a speed merchant! I think sometimes about a fixie, but it has vertical dropouts, so it might be difficult. Other than that, it should be the new Campag Super Record, but I'd have to win the lottery first.
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Are they still making them?
It is a deffinate 80's classic.
My dad bought an Alan instead, I was very dissapointed with his choice, but the Alan is lovely too but not enough for my eyes to glaze over. Mind you if he'd gotton the Duralinox, I'd have quite possibly cycled off into the distance never to be seen again.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Neil Fat Man On A Bike wrote:Are they still making them?

I doubt it.

A classic, as you say.
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

WOW Eddy, your 'Flying Gate' looks wonderful!

Thank you for putting its pic on the forum for everyone to see. Love the colour too, and Happy Belated birthday wishes to you.

Are you going out with her on the scone run in Sulby ???

Im still very time poor at the moment, but once that sun is out and the wind packed off, I intend to return... like the swallows!

Mary
Si

Post by Si »

After it's second rebuild in three months due to the crank disaster, it's alive again.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

My trusty steed :D

1993 Mt Shasta Backwoods hard tail with short travel front fork. Completely original - tyres, brakes, everything, just as it came out of the shop when I bought it new, but now with a couple of added scuffs and scrapes to add that authentic 'old skool' touch!

Quite a few people don't rate these but I like it, been a good workhorse and my wife has had 3 MTB's in her cycling lifetime, none of which hold a candle to this. I find it very stable, especially on slippy stuff and rocks.

2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

john_roberts wrote:My trusty steed :D

1993 Mt Shasta Backwoods hard tail with short travel front fork. Completely original - tyres, brakes, everything, just as it came out of the shop when I bought it new, but now with a couple of added scuffs and scrapes to add that authentic 'old skool' touch!

Quite a few people don't rate these but I like it, been a good workhorse and my wife has had 3 MTB's in her cycling lifetime, none of which hold a candle to this. I find it very stable, especially on slippy stuff and rocks.

Either you've got long arms and body and tiny little legs* or your saddle could do with being raised.

Watch those kneecaps!

And if it's still got all those original parts, you ain't riding it enough!

>;o)

Gazza

* Are you ET? >;o)
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

2Tubs wrote:Either you've got long arms and body and tiny little legs* or your saddle could do with being raised.

Watch those kneecaps!

>;o)

Gazza

* Are you ET? >;o)

:lol: hahaha yes - you're quite right! I am E.T. !!! No, seriously though, I have a different seatpost and saddle now but thought I'd bung the original one on for the pics not realising I had set it at the wrong height.

And yes - I'm not riding it enough, first time I've been out for 7 years or so... :cry:
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

john_roberts wrote:
2Tubs wrote:Either you've got long arms and body and tiny little legs* or your saddle could do with being raised.

Watch those kneecaps!

>;o)

Gazza

* Are you ET? >;o)

:lol: hahaha yes - you're quite right! I am E.T. !!! No, seriously though, I have a different seatpost and saddle now but thought I'd bung the original one on for the pics not realising I had set it at the wrong height.

And yes - I'm not riding it enough, first time I've been out for 7 years or so... :cry:

We all have our dry spells.

I'm going through one now!

I have an ill family member who needs caring for and between him and the weather, I haven't cycled in anger for nearly 2 months!

Sorting that out as a matter of urgency, I'm getting fat!

Gazza
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
And smile.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

Sorry to hear that, mate - hope things improve soon!

I know all about getting fat, and at my age it gets harder to shift! Hence the end of the dry spell...

Just out of interest - like or dislike my bike, or not your thing? I keep contemplating a newer (better spec'd) 'something' but everytime I take it out I feel good on it. I don't think it owes me anything though :D
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

john_roberts wrote:Sorry to hear that, mate - hope things improve soon!

I know all about getting fat, and at my age it gets harder to shift! Hence the end of the dry spell...

Just out of interest - like or dislike my bike, or not your thing? I keep contemplating a newer (better spec'd) 'something' but everytime I take it out I feel good on it. I don't think it owes me anything though :D

The bike looks good.

Does she ride well is the question though.

If she does the job you don't need another bike, unless it's for a different purpose.

Gazza
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
And smile.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

I think she rides well, I've read in places that they're not overly rated as mountain bikes proper, but a 'killer commute' :lol: and I suppose as I don't really climb mountains or do serious downhilling then it's fit for the purpose. The bike is a tad heavy compared to newer ones and I probably don't really need the uber-knobbly tyres, but I feel very confident about taking her anywhere and can't remember the last time I got stuck in anything! She's just a bit hard work at times, or is it because I am unfit :lol:

Regards - John
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

Perth, this morning, with my Cross Check:

first real ride on it, and pretty impressed so far. amazed that the saddle feels comfortable (I've tightened it twice now), given all I've read about them.