Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
random37

Post by random37 »

Mercian do it, or rather have a company that do it for them. Maybe it's worth giving them a call?
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

FWIW, I concur about the re-chroming costs in Plymouth as I have some driving lights on the car and wanted the shells re-chromed. The cheapest quote I got at the time was forty quid per shell and it was cheaper to buy new shells than get the old ones re-chromed :(

That said, the firm who powder coated Barbarella might be able to recommend someone who could do the job for a reasonable price.

Geoff
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.

I'll let my fingers do the walking ....

The idea of E2E needs considering too.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Within the last few months I've ended up looking at a website advertisng Chopper spares, although I cannot imagine why I should do that.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/catfoodrob ... links.html

I suppose these things have a sort of nostalgia for anybody who had one as a child but it seems to me the Raleigh Chopper marked the watershed, when the company went from being the world's biggest manufacturer of bikes to being a distributor of bits and pieces. A case study for British industry as a whole.
pigman

Post by pigman »

thirdcrank wrote:Within the last few months I've ended up looking at a website advertisng Chopper spares, although I cannot imagine why I should do that.

you were probably thinking of chopper in a different context :wink:
pigman

Post by pigman »

few years ago i wanted some forks rechroming. Frame builders were typically charging round the £20 mark to have it subbed-out. i went round to various platers by person to ask if they could help.
Some werent interested in a small batch job
Others were reluctant to take it on in case the chemicals affected the steel properties
One ended up doing the job for £4 and I used them satisfactorily. They were a family run firm and the old boy obviously wanted to help.

ps - dont go for nickel plating, which is cheaper and looks nice (it puts a slightly golden tinge to the colour and it looks unique on a bike). It keeps dulling and youre forever polishing.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

thirdcrank wrote:I suppose these things have a sort of nostalgia for anybody who had one as a child but it seems to me the Raleigh Chopper marked the watershed, when the company went from being the world's biggest manufacturer of bikes to being a distributor of bits and pieces. A case study for British industry as a whole.

It was also Raleigh's fault. They could only make lugged steel bikes and they refused to recognise that the world had changed, trying to ignore BMX, MTB and aluminium frames. Likewise, Sturmey-Archer kept churning out a product (the AW) that hadn't changed since the 1930s when the notorious "neutral" position was introduced to save the cost of a couple of extra pawls, and was wholly unsuitable for the new wave of MTBs. Taiwanese cheap labour and efficiency would probably have got them in the end anyway, but they could made a lot more money in the 1980s and 1990s.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

At Harting Hill car park
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

flat tyre wrote:At Harting Hill car park

That vignetting intentional or was the picture taken with too many filters?

It looks very effective.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Vignetting not intentional and caused by cheap plastic film camera (Holga) with no filter
random37

Post by random37 »

This is my new commuter:
1949 Raleigh Sports
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

flat tyre wrote:Vignetting not intentional and caused by cheap plastic film camera (Holga) with no filter

There used to be quite a photography sub culture around the Holga.

It creates quite an effect, intentional or otherwise.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
paulah

Post by paulah »

my commuter

and hubgearbike

peevafred

Post by peevafred »

lauriematt wrote:
Mick F wrote:Sounds like a good game!

where roughly is Slochd summit???? :D

Just a thought but,
did you know that this quote is also used very often in Russian?

WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

This is my main bike these days. I've had it for over two years and my other machines very rarely get to see daylight! It has 20" wheels with 100psi tyres, 8 SRAM gears with twistgrip and it folds to save space. The ride is very much like a normal sports bike but it is just so much fun to use.

I have tried various combinations of 'bars, saddles, pedals and luggage because it uses standard parts, which some folders don't. £500 well spent.