Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Paul, nice bike and great pics' too. The trouble is,seeing that scenery really makes me want to go on tour!

When the bike is unfolded,is it rigid or is there any suspension?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

It does not have suspension but it rides like a "normal" bike. It feels a bit like my Tifosi racing bike, very nimble but not twitchy. It is always my first choice to ride. The fold is nowhere as small as the Brompton but it is OK to put in the back of my 10 year old Nissan Micra to transport it to far away riding places.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Mixed mode touring is something I've thought about,but by using trains rather than a car.
Is the Scoot heavy? (it doesn't look it). I borrowed a Birdy Blue some time ago for a fortnight. I was very impressed by the ride but not by all the creaking and groaning which I think was due to the suspension and it's linkages. It was a bit a of a chinese puzzle to fold too.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Three months ago my bike was yellow and really rusty a bit of a sorry mess really. It's an old 1993 Dawes Super Galaxy which has covered over 80,000 miles.
I sent the frame away to Mercian who painted her a lovely shade of blue and I got the frame back last week.
I've now had a very happy week building her back up, finally finishing last night. I've been out today for a quick ten miles and I'm pleased as punch.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I rather like the yellow... :wink:
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

I rather like the yellow...

Well it certainly stood out, you don't see many bright yellow ones!
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

the lovely Lucia is no more. She developed a crack behind the head tube and has been supplanted by Floreana...

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

pioneer wrote:Mixed mode touring is something I've thought about,but by using trains rather than a car.
Is the Scoot heavy? (it doesn't look it). I borrowed a Birdy Blue some time ago for a fortnight. I was very impressed by the ride but not by all the creaking and groaning which I think was due to the suspension and it's linkages. It was a bit a of a chinese puzzle to fold too.

It's a very simple fold - if not the smallest. Just use two q/r levers to allow the seat post to rise, swing the rear wheel under the main frame tube and slip the seat post back down to hold it all together. I think, in standard trim the Xootr weighs in a around 20lb or so but that is with pretty heavy puncture resistant tyres and a springy saddle. I have heard of owners really going to town on replacing components to make the bike a lot lighter.

I'm not sure how the train companies would treat the Xootr as it is not as compact as a Brompton but the ride is very good indeed. I am really taken with it. If I could only have one bike it would be a Xootr Swift. Having only 8 gears has not been a problem because I am long past the days of trying to ride every hill. If it gets too steep, get off and push - what's the problem?!

Just for info the above is my touring bike, made by M Steel in Newcastle. I bought the frame 20 years ago and have it kitted out with Campagnolo triple chainset and gears. The wheels were made by Mercian in Derby. It's a great bike but it spends more time in the shen than on the road because of the Xootr.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Paul,

I must say, I like the look of the Xootr swift. And I know what you mean. It's not always the "best bike" in the shed that gets ridden the most.
old blue eyes

Post by old blue eyes »

This is my 60th Birthday present to myself! a Trevor Jarvis "Flying Gate" Dovedale Deluxe. It mostly has Campag components.
old blue eyes

Post by old blue eyes »

Ok I will try again.[/img]
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

My new bike!

Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative Revolution Trailfinder. Nice sensible budget commuter/canal towpath/days out bike. My first new bike for nearly 20 years and the first one the right size for me since the 18" Raleigh Winner 5-speed which I did years of cycle-touring on in the '80s.

First impressions are very good, and the 'customer care' from ECC was great. The bike was virtually ready to go, just needed the handlebars turning round and the pedals put on. I guess some 'tweeking' will result after I go for a longer ride.

pioneer

Post by pioneer »

PaulB,

what is the approx' gear range of your Xootr please? (I'm a bit of a dinosaur I'm afraid and still deal in inches re' gear calculations).
You said it has got eight Sram gears. My Moulton FX8 (now FX16) was the same and most of the time,only having eight was no problem. I upped' it to sixteen for a tour last summer. (Though to be honest, the eight would have sufficed).

The Moulton is a mix of Sram grip-shift and Shimano Sora changer. It works fine. Moulton's are great bikes, but they are expensive for what you get.

I'm changing bikes this year and there are a lot of machines in the mix.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The Xootr comes with a 52 tooth chainwheel and an 11 - 28 tooth cassette.
I changed the cassette for an 11 - 32 to take account of the Cumbrian hills.
I must confess I don't think I've ever used the two smallest cogs in anger - even downhill!

I think we have become a bit paranoid about having loads of gears as the extra cogs only make shifting smoother rather than give extra range.

These pics show how I have experimented with the bike's set-up over the time I have had it. One of these days I'll leave it as it is!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Paul, thanks. I'm in Suffolk and generally only use the top four gears. Though I've also changed the cassette to give a closer spread of gears. Lost a bit of range at top at bottom, partly why the second chain ring went on for the tour. I once borrowed an early Pashley Moulton for a week or so from a freind in the Vickers shipyard,Barrow. He used it round the lakes'. It was a heavy beast and damned hard work!

The rear fork ends on the Xtoor look good and meaty and are those pedals the pop on and off type? (sorry,can't remember the proper description). I checked out an American site earlier because they've got reports on the Xtoor. It seems all the owners are very impressed.

Funny,I've got a Carradice SQR Tour bag on the Moulton too. Perfect for short tours.