Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
glueman

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by glueman »

bigjim wrote:Nice. Modern components but downtube shifters. Any reason?
Jim :)

I had some 7-speed 105 wheels with plenty of life in them and indexed levers. The alternative would have been new wheels and ergo levers, or about the price of the frame. The XT derailleurs can take newer systems should I decide to change but I'm storing 7-speed equipment as I find it. Not future proof but not sprocket-escalation either.

I use ergo on another bike but like clips and clipless each system becomes natural within a few miles and there's less to go wrong here. Meeting some world tourists on Sunday (see goingslowly on touring board) it was interesting to note they also had downtube levers with modern gear.

The only part I don't like, although it works perfectly well is the MTB front derailleur which looks like it's made out of Meccano and the bracket is three times as big as it needs to be - the downside of one-size-fits-all Shimano philosophy.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's that M word again .......
Mick F. Cornwall
Greybeard

Christine is nearly finished!

Post by Greybeard »

As a follow on from my posts in the 'naming your bike thread' in the Tea Shop - here's a pic of 'Christine' - now an enigmatically named 'SWS 50/3'. Built around a 1920-30 frame of unknown make, but too good to throw away, I've fitted a few modern bits and bobs to make her useable as an everyday machine when the mood takes me.
Used it for my 20-mile round trip to work today and was pleasantly surprised by how easily and smoothly she runs - 28 inch balloon tyres and a sprung Brooks must help. Caused a few raised eyebrows as I cruised past every other bike I came across - must've been the strange lights :oops:

Why Christine? - if the story is correct, this bike has reputedly led to the death of a previous owner - a retired bobby in Shropshire, who fell from it and didn't survive. 'Christine' was the name of a car that had a tendency to bump off its owners in a 1970's low-budget horror :shock: I'd better be careful :?

One or two minor cosmetic tweaks needed to finish it off, then I can start on the total restoration of a 1907 Royal Sunbeam, a 1904 BSA roadster (currently useable since I rebuilt the wheels) and a Triumph roadster which is a little earlier in date.
Oh, the things we get involved in :wink:

Steve
Attachments
Christine.jpg
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

Now that I've finally gotten around to cutting the steerer to length and changing the handlebars and stem I thought I'd upload a pic of my MK3. I've done nearly 500 miles since I built it at Christmas and I love it. It's great for all I use it for, commuting, weekend rides and hopefully an audax or two at some point. And yes, Greybeard, it does have a name. Mickey, play on the MK3, or Mickey Blue Eyes for it's full name. It's sad, I know.
Attachments
DSC00607 (Small).JPG
Just Rob please.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Steve,
cracking bike!
Pashley now turn out something similar in an attempt I think to cash in on the current retro' craze.(Very expensive though for what it is).

Sometime ago,you were after a Sturmey' 3 speed with coaster brake but I beat you to it. I've changed a few of my bikes over since then and now have no need of it.
As you've now done your restoration,you may not need it either,but if it's any use to you,let me know.I payed a tenner' for it,I'll pass it on for the same plus P and P.(Sorry, can't remember it's year).
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

pioneer wrote:Steve,
cracking bike!
Pashley now turn out something similar in an attempt I think to cash in on the current retro' craze.(Very expensive though for what it is).

Sometime ago,you were after a Sturmey' 3 speed with coaster brake but I beat you to it. I've changed a few of my bikes over since then and now have no need of it.
As you've now done your restoration,you may not need it either,but if it's any use to you,let me know.I payed a tenner' for it,I'll pass it on for the same plus P and P.(Sorry, can't remember it's year).

Thanks for your kind comments - the Pashley version comes out at not much less than a thousand quid, even for the single speed job. I'd reckon this one has cost less than a third of that. Most of the cost was in the new hubs, alloy rims and spokes, but I must admit to rather liking it. It certainly raised an eyebrow or two at the office, and confirmed that there really was a nutcase in their midst :oops:
I've pm'd you about the hub - still interested for other projects :wink:

Steve
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

PM'd back. If I've done it right.... :roll:
Tonyf33

Re:

Post by Tonyf33 »

old blue eyes wrote:Once again pictures of my new Flying Gate.

I had a lovely pair of new Spencer Omega mudguards in purple that would have looked lovely on that, very nice bike with or without.
whoops

Post by whoops »

My Hetchins
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

My tourer, in it's usual day-to-day guise:
tourer.jpg

Dave Yates frame, Nitto Noodle bars, Co-Pilot child seat, butchered B17, Schmidt dynamo hub, B&M IQ light, etc.
random37

Post by random37 »

Did anyone see the advert for an unused 1989 Raleigh the other day? I bought it. Rode it home from London, which was the longest journey it had been on, ever. It's amazing. Even has uncracked, original Raleigh tyres.
Where I grew up there a department store called Hammants. It sold guns, bikes, and electrical equipment, so naturally as a kid I was fascinated. I always, always wanted one of the Raleighs that were put away from all the other cheaper bikes, but my family had no money so no chance. Fast forward a few years and I am living my dream!
If only it wasn't about an inch too big for me. :(
Don't know what I'm going to do with it. It's so nice and original, it's actually a shame to use it; I think I may be contacting a couple of museums to see if they're interested.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

chris667 wrote:Did anyone see the advert for an unused 1989 Raleigh the other day? I bought it. Rode it home from London, which was the longest journey it had been on, ever. It's amazing. Even has uncracked, original Raleigh tyres.
Where I grew up there a department store called Hammants. It sold guns, bikes, and electrical equipment, so naturally as a kid I was fascinated. I always, always wanted one of the Raleighs that were put away from all the other cheaper bikes, but my family had no money so no chance. Fast forward a few years and I am living my dream!
If only it wasn't about an inch too big for me. :(
Don't know what I'm going to do with it. It's so nice and original, it's actually a shame to use it; I think I may be contacting a couple of museums to see if they're interested.

Bikes are for riding mate, not locking away in a room!

I'm sure that there are similar bikes locked away in museums, this one must be ridden!

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

A few pictures of my steads for you all -

The everyday work horse, the Ribble frame is great value for money.

My custom made Audax bike made by Brian Rourke. Forget any other frame builder, Brian is "da man"....
He made my first racing frame 20 years ago and he still had all the frame dimensions on file. This is a great bike and ideal for long events, and it climbs like a dream. Reynolds 853 tubing and is lighter than the ali Ribble bike.

My "sunshine only" bike, hence it has seen little action. But as it was purchased on the Cycle 2 Work scheme, it came at the right price, therefore it would have been rude to say no.
I have changed the bars, stem and seat post to carbon, this is one very light bike indeed.

And last but not least, the Scott MTB. I have also changed the bars, stem and seatpost to carbon, again this is a very light machine at around 20lbs ready to roll.
Great alternative training to the road bikes. I also have a spare set of wheels for it fitted Conti slicks and a close ratio cassette, 12-21. Great bike. :lol:

The best room in the house..........
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
gaz

Post by gaz »

Overdue it's posting on the board by almost a year, perhaps I need a round tuit.
The Tantrum.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Gaz is the name from minnie me and the kiddy cranks
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar