togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hubgearfreak

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by hubgearfreak »

chris667 wrote:I quite like the idea of a mountain bike now.

that's a cracking plan. there aren't enough 3speed ATBs about..outside of norwich that is :roll: :lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:graham, my hub, like yours i imagine, has been sat around doing nothing for a couple of decades, so the grease will be dried up.

Dismantled mine to a pile of parts today, grease was perfect. It's the sticky sort which is superb stuff, never seen that dried out yet. I also note I have the updated pawls arrangement on the pinion cage. This must be on the cusp of the Taiwanese purchase. What year is yours? Would be interested to nail-down when the redesign happened :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:What year is yours? Would be interested to nail-down when the redesign happened :D

you're getting geekier by the minute :lol:
anyhow, rear - 07/97 front 04/88

i do hope that the strip down and reassebly of an AB is appearing on youtube real soon? :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:What year is yours? Would be interested to nail-down when the redesign happened :D

you're getting geekier by the minute :lol:
anyhow, rear - 07/97 front 04/88

i do hope that the strip down and reassebly of an AB is appearing on youtube real soon? :wink:

S'already there :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/GrahamNR17
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:S'already there :roll: http://www.youtube.com/GrahamNR17

i've seen that one, so it's the same for an AB? 8)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:S'already there :roll: http://www.youtube.com/GrahamNR17

i've seen that one, so it's the same for an AB? 8)

There are 7 videos on my channel, you need to click the "see all" link to view a list of all seven. There's a new one up there called Hub gear with brake - additional procedures

Look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uu46_kgVvs
8)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

that's me being slow then :oops: , sorry & thanks :mrgreen:
random37

Post by random37 »

Well, I have just built my togglechaintour bike.

It is a single speed, based around a Raleigh Michigan. Looks a bit racy at the moment, but I will be fitting mudguards, front/rear racks, cables and a chain tomorrow.

Arai hub brake and a BMX freewheel at the back, Sachs VT3000 in the front. I have no idea what the rims are, but they're very solid. Feels nice, although I haven't actually ridden it anywhere yet.
whoops

Post by whoops »

"I wouldn't fancy toying with that hill" :roll:[/quote]

R2. that was terrible! Why come out with such Fritholous remarks?
random37

Post by random37 »

hubgearfreak wrote:pics please chris 8)

Happy to oblige. Excuse the multiple photos and mess!
Will sort a new chain, chainset and BB before I can use it, as well as a front mudguard and some sort of prettification.
Attachments
DSCN0027.JPG
DSCN0026.JPG
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I accidentally bought another bike today :oops: I cycled to work, as I do each day, and there at the end of a driveway was a lonely looking Raleigh Courier with a big sign saying "£20" round it's skinny little neck :shock: I think I wore a bald patch on my back tyre as I skidded to a halt :| I paid the price, worth it for the AG hub alone (been after one for a strip/build/repair video)

Soooooo, I'm slowly building up a stock of loaner bikes for the TCT :roll:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

that's great chris, what's the age of the frame, c.1990 at a guess? :D

graham, i don't know what a courier is, and for someone who can make educational films, your lack of camera work is shocking :lol:

i looked up raleigh courier in google images, and it wasn't clear, but i did find this. if only that collection was in the garage, eh?
obviously, only three are any use:roll:

GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:graham, i don't know what a courier is, and for someone who can make educational films, your lack of camera work is shocking :lol:

Good point, well made :oops:
random37

Post by random37 »

hubgearfreak wrote:that's great chris, what's the age of the frame, c.1990 at a guess? :D

Probably about that. I'm no snob, but it is from quite a depressing point in Raleigh's existence, so it might be changed before the event if something becomes available. It's really, really crudely built but I like it. 8)

I wanted to put my Karrimor front rack on it, but no dice, it doesn't have eyelets. I'm going to use that basket support to mount some sort of platform or basket, not sure what though. Any ideas for suitable items within my budget of nothing?