Virtue Signalling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Virtue Signalling

Post by al_yrpal »

Virtue signalling? "I hate UKIP". "I hate the Daily Mail" "I am a cyclist" therefore I am morally superior. (But I dont actually do anything that is morally superior, I just talk about it).

Discuss..

Al :mrgreen:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Guy951

Re: Virtue Signalling

Post by Guy951 »

Discuss what Al? What is this "virtue signalling" of which you speak? :?

PS I have a severe dislike for UKIP and the Daily Fail too.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
horizon

Post by horizon »

al_yrpal wrote: "I am a cyclist" therefore I am morally superior. (But I dont actually do anything that is morally superior, I just talk about it).

Yes, I would always take the moral position, where that is possible. And yes, cycling in our present age is that moral position and morally superior to driving and yes, I do something about it as well as talk about it as much as possible: I cycle. And no, I'm not ashamed of that.

It is the morality of our position that sustains us through the abuse, frustration, danger and hostility which cyclists face.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I actually think it serves two purposes, Al. It identifies you to/with a wider group (eg all those who hate UKIP) and thereby gives strength to your sense of superiority by dint of numbers.

If I said "I hate people who eat food", I might feel morally superior in terms of saving the Earth's resources, but would probably be in a group of one and so would be ****** in the wind.

Silly example, I know, but I love people who who give silly examples :roll:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

It is an amusing characteristic of many pompous left-leaning types and is the way they bond and convince themselves they are generally wonderful people.

It has three main characteristics.

1. Claiming to care about the poor.
2. Claiming to care about the planet.
3. An overdeveloped ability to identify racism and sexism in others and an underdeveloped ability to spot them in themselves.
Last edited by Graham on 4 Nov 2015, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: youself -> themselves - makes it generic rather than personal
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Guy951 wrote:Discuss what Al? What is this "virtue signalling" of which you speak? :?

PS I have a severe dislike for UKIP and the Daily Fail too.

Its about making all the right (PC) noises, supporting the 'right' causes, but not actually doing anything practical that helps anyone at all. i.e. being a PC windbag.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

I hate the Daily Mail, but my parents sometimes read it. So I don't necessarily assume the worst of people who buy it. I just wish they would choose a paper with a more positive view of people. UKIP? I wouldn't vote for them myself, but I share some of their stated concerns about the sheer number (not race) of immigrants in recent years. So I do understand why some might vote for them. You don't have to be a narrow minded racist to vote UKIP.

I must admit, though, that there are some personal attributes that make me more likely to trust a stranger. Being a keen cyclist is one. Or a keen gardener or rambler. Not infallible, of course.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

al_yrpal wrote:Its about making all the right (PC) noises, supporting the 'right' causes, but not actually doing anything practical that helps anyone at all. i.e. being a PC windbag.

Al

Thanks Al. I'd never heard that term before.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

horizon wrote:Yes, I would always take the moral position, where that is possible. And yes, cycling in our present age is that moral position and morally superior to driving ...

This is a ludicrous supposition. By your stance a city banker you meet on Box Hill on a Sunday on a carbon fibre bike who cycles 500 miles a year for fun (and only started cycling 18 months ago) is morally superior to someone who cycles no miles, delivers meals on wheels in their own car voluntarily and runs a cub scout pack. Just to add to the mix at the last election the city banker may have voted Labour while the driver may have voted UKIP.

As Mary Douglas said, 'Pretensions to moral superiority are devastatingly destructive'.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I suppose we all feel that we are superior to our neighbour in one way or another. We have all made choices and judgments that others have not made. For me, not flying is a moral choice. One long distance return flight for my family of four would have the same impact on climate change as doubling our car mileage, and just for the sake of a holiday. I could not look at myself in the mirror if I flew. But I tell myself that whilst I am sure about that assessment, I should not look down on the majority that have not yet seen things my way. Most of them will be doing other things better than me. I have to judge people on more rounded evidence and with a bit of understanding. So I don't think I'm better than someone just because they fly, or read the Mail, or because they vote UKIP.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Surely most people don't concur with the entire editorial line of the paper they read or the whole manifesto of the party they vote for (it would be depressing to think otherwise, so I'm sticking to that belief).

I'm sure there was research in the 90s, suggesting that more Sun readers voted Labour than Conservative - despite its editorial advice...(ahem) ...which may not reflect well on them, any way you look at it.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:I suppose we all feel that we are superior to our neighbour in one way or another. We have all made choices and judgments that others have not made. For me, not flying is a moral choice. One long distance return flight for my family of four would have the same impact on climate change as doubling our car mileage, and just for the sake of a holiday. I could not look at myself in the mirror if I flew...

And of course this might change, hypothetically one of your children may emigrate to Australia and have your grandchildren. And you might not be prepared to not ever see them at all in Australia, so therefore fly to have a holiday with them. Apologies if that is your situation and you still are not flying but you get the point.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:I suppose we all feel that we are superior to our neighbour in one way or another. We have all made choices and judgments that others have not made. For me, not flying is a moral choice. One long distance return flight for my family of four would have the same impact on climate change as doubling our car mileage, and just for the sake of a holiday. I could not look at myself in the mirror if I flew...

And of course this might change, hypothetically one of your children may emigrate to Australia and have your grandchildren. And you might not be prepared to not ever see them at all in Australia, so therefore fly to have a holiday with them. Apologies if that is your situation and you still are not flying but you get the point.

Yes, we all change our views on things.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

al_yrpal wrote:................."I am a cyclist" therefore I am morally superior................

Oh - absolutely true al - I also share your sentiments with respect to UKIP and that daily rag that you refer to................
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pwa wrote:I suppose we all feel that we are superior to our neighbour in one way or another...............

.........nor really - only motorists.