National Anthem . . is it time for change ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Drake

National Anthem . . is it time for change ?

Post by Drake »

Although I believe that Royals bring more advantages than disadvantages to this country of ours, is it time to change the Anthem ?
In this multi cultural nation of ours,should Anthem pay homage more to our country than an individual.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: National Anthem . . is it time for change ?

Post by Mick F »

Drake wrote: ............should Anthem pay homage more to our country than an individual.
At the mercy of the anti-royalist republicans, what is the difference between the sovereign and we in our country?

Can we be a country without a sovereign monarch?

"God Save our Gracious Queen/King" is an anthem to us as a country.
Do we really want to sing "God Save our Country"?

What about "Star Spangled Banner"?
Do we really want to sing about a flag?

What's the difference?
Flag, or monarch?
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Not for me thank you. I love our country and I love our Queen.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

I rather like the royal family. They bring in lots of tourism money. That being said I think they need whatever remaining power they have to be taken away from them and I do feel it's time to implement an English national anthem, in line with already having a Welsh and Scottish one, and scrap God Save The Queen. I suggest "Jerusalem"

There's also an argument for removal of vast tracts of land that the royals "own" and redistributing. If I didn't think the government would have far worse a job of managing it that is!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

And did those feet in ancient time
Thread upon England's mountains green?
And did the Holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear: o clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariots of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight;
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant land.

Why should this be a National Anthem?
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Better than the one that says we should get the scots, kill foreigners, and asks some religious guy that the majority of the country doesn't believe in to help a royal family that has no relevance to rule us and the world. Jerusalem is a catchy tune as well ;)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:And did those feet in ancient time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwdKfLOa5o
Last edited by gaz on 4 Oct 2015, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Drake wrote:Although I believe that Royals bring more advantages than disadvantages to this country of ours, is it time to change the Anthem ?
In this multi cultural nation of ours,should Anthem pay homage more to our country than an individual.

We do not live in a multi-cultural nation. We live In a nation were those born here are 2nd class citizens.. only those that have arrived here from other places are allowed rights .... we just have to pay for them ... multiculture has been shown to be a disaster ... come to Rotherham and see our ghettos .. "EASTWOODISTAN" is a shining example ..... Oh .. lets don't mention our taxi drivers ... that would be racist ....

Some of our local buses have an advert on the back .. a lady in a sari with the text "People tell me to go home ... to Worksop??" Fantastic ad ... because as a born here English person she can speak English ....!! and is probably my Doctor or Lawyer .. She's not a product of Multicultural Britain ... she's English ... !!! Don't use race as a weapon ..it's a double edged sword ...(sic).
Last edited by landsurfer on 4 Oct 2015, 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Mick F wrote:Why should this be a National Anthem?

Because it's about building a better country ("'til we have built Jerusalem / in England's green and pleasant land"). It's a direct call to action: go out there and make things better, until England can be considered a place "free from terror and full of righteousness". Which, I hardly need say, will involve lots of bikes. It's something that could and should animate everyone who sings it.

Also, it's a cracking tune. Though - speaking as a church organist - quite a difficult one to play. (I always break out the solo posaune for the last couple of bars... any excuse.)

Personally my favourite 'New Jerusalem' hymn is "O holy city, seen of John", but I think the chances of a Herbert Howells tune becoming anyone's national anthem are sadly pretty minuscule.

(Edit: Danny Boyle put it much better in the introduction to the Olympics opening ceremony: "we hope, too, that through all the noise and excitement that you will glimpse a single golden thread of purpose - the idea of Jerusalem - of a better world, the world of real freedom and true equality, a world that can be built through the prosperity of industry, through the caring nation that built the welfare state, through the joyous energy of popular culture, through the dream of universal communication. A belief that we can build Jerusalem. And that it will be for everyone.")
Last edited by Richard Fairhurst on 4 Oct 2015, 8:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Si

Post by Si »

Yeah but it's about England not the UK or GB so doesn't really work as a National Anthem.

But if we do allow it my vote would go to the Clash's "This is England" instead.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This is the greyest of areas;
I am not English .. my mother was.
I always support England at any sport.
I am not English.
I have lived for 35 of my 57 years in England.
I am not English.
I live in Yorkshire .. and proud to do so.
I am accepted here. 25 years.
A soldier for 28 years.
Who is more English than me, an Ulsterman in England.
Sing Rule Britannia, Jerusalem, and God Save The Queen.
Its a matter of choice .... chose well good folk ...
Because we all have the choice ..wherever you where born ... the choice!!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

Because it's about building a better country ("'til we have built Jerusalem / in England's green and pleasant land.........................)

Do you know what the city of Jerusalem is really like Richard? - it's been a centre of devastation, hatred, killing, division..............for thousands of years.

...............for me, it's the Queen and the National Anthem any time.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

No need for a change. Most national anthems are outdated: "red rockets glare" is a reference to Fort Sumpter, "aux armes citoyens" is a call to revolution and bloody mayhem, etc. Funnily enough, "Deutschland über alles", although it's usually interpreted as such by foreigners, isn't a call for Germany to dominate the world but a statement of love for one's country above all else - exactly the kind of song suggested by the O.P. - and yet the first verse was dropped as being politically offensive.

Something boring - and God knows that "God Save the Queen" is boring - that's plodded through, like hymn n°783 every wet Sunday while people think about lunch, is exactly right. Knowing the truth of the matter, Scots can have a nice wee chuckle at the third verse and then everyone can think about something else.

FWIW back in the 70s Oz held a competition for a new anthem, asking people to send in their suggestions. Waltzing Matilda came top of the list but the govt. didn't have the balls to accept it, and settled for the peely-wally "Advance Australia Fair", which came a long way second. The one that got the most notice at the time was neither of these, though, but a rhyme to the tune of "Onward Christian Soldiers" which went:

Fellers of Australia
Cobbers, coves and coots
Shift your flaming ****holes
Move your flaming boots.
Get your flaming togs on
Grab your flaming gun
Set the flaming enemy
And watch the b*stards run.

It wasn't flaming, either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:

Because it's about building a better country ("'til we have built Jerusalem / in England's green and pleasant land.........................)

Do you know what the city of Jerusalem is really like Richard? - it's been a centre of devastation, hatred, killing, division..............for thousands of years.

...............for me, it's the Queen and the National Anthem any time.
+1

I've been to Jerusalem, and I don't want it here thank you very much.

The problems with that song are:
It's about England
It's about wanting Jerusalem in England

It may have a good tune, but tunes are tunes. You can fit different words to tunes and different tunes to words.
Mick F. Cornwall