A blonde and a lawyer are seated next to each other.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: A blonde and a lawyer are seated next to each other.

Post by Vorpal »

Bicycler wrote:I can understand why some people have the desire to have one family name, though that needn't necessarily be the father's. Then again, having different names removes the issue we had where we ended up with three Misters all with the same surname. It's absolutely criminal to address a letter to one of the three male members of the Smith family to Mr Smith. One small benefit of the two women using Miss and Mrs was that there was no confusion with similarly incompetently addressed letters. I wish it was still common to have a 'master' option for boys. This kind of issue is one reason why I would prefer mail not to use a title or to use it in addition to the first name. Using an initial isn't always unambiguous either.

We talked about the advantages and disadvantages of having a 'family' name. We basically felt that disadvantages (changing documentation, etc.) outweighed the advantages.

I had a friend from university, who, when he and his partner married, they threw all of their grandparents' and great-grandparents' names in a hat and drew one out. They both changed their surnames to the drawn name.

As for master... I thought it had fallen entirely out of use, but Littlest was 'master' in a few situations, including his library card. I thought it was a rather quaint, but I liked it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:
Vorpal wrote: I didn't think of the queen!
I wonder if that's a valid argument as royalty don't have a surname, they have a "house".

Her name is HRH Elizabeth R.
Before that, she was HRH the Princess Elizabeth.

I wonder what is on her birth certificate and her on marriage certificate?
Do they have them?
Is she on the censuses?
Is she on the electoral role?

She is not allowed to vote I believe. It is to do with the 3 estates, her only vote is when she signs or seals the paperwork for the laws to become enacted. There are similar laws governing Lords but I can not recall them.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We had arguments about our surnames when we were expecting. I have a very rare name and I was the last chance to carry it on (cousins either had no kids or were female or were the the children of my aunt who has already lost the family name). It has become important to some in the family that it carried on so I insisted our child took it. That led to arguments about my partner's name ending in her family line because it was more common. I suggested double barreled name cue arguments over order. I got my way with it being last so the last thing you write and most people would look at (effectively some may call our child only by my family name). She took offence at that because she did not know about the hyphen convention so thought it would get treated as a middle name. Once I realized her misunderstanding we stopped arguing. The only issue now is my ploy to get my name taking prominence backfired. Most people get to his surname and get fed up writing after my partner's surname so mine tends to get dropped. Or they use the initials of the surname and both get dropped.

It is going to be impossible if he has kids. Not sure you can have triple barreled names!! The thing is my name is rare indeed. Every time in a family line it drops out it is closer to dying out. This is not important to people but if you have a name from domesday book times and it dies out on your watch it might become more important to you.

Serious thread drift now. FWIW I blame Mick too but only to deflect from my probable role in it.

So, back to the OP's thread starter, anyone else know a good blonde joke where the blonde comes out on top?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Tangled Metal wrote:We had arguments about our surnames when we were expecting.

In this neck of the woods we used to have a house-painter called Hittler (really!) and a butchery produce company called Adolphe. Interesting marital options there.

The painters have since changed their name to Hittier, spoiling things for everyone.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

There used to be family called Crapper down the road :lol: That'd be enough to have me taking any woman's name.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote:This is not important to people but if you have a name from domesday book times and it dies out on your watch it might become more important to you.

Actually this was part of the discussion between me & Mr V. because we are both somewhat in this situation. My surname is neither common nor rare, but it is old, and dying out in my great-great-grandfather's descendents. Mr V. has a rare surname and a small family.

That was one of the reasons for our agreement that any girls would have my surname, and any boys would have his. Our children have two middle names; the second is the other parent's surname. We decided not to use the double barrelled names mostly just because we both have names that other people seem to have difficulty spelling and/or pronouncing. So we figured one like that was enough. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Haha.

Thats like "I bet you a fiver I can get you to turn your hands over, put your hands out... no, the other way"

Cha ching. :lol:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bicycler wrote:My vote's for Mick :wink:
Thank you!
I'm not sure that it's a compliment or not! :lol:

A blonde was speeding in a 25 mile per hour residental zone when a local police cruiser pulled her over. The female police officer who walked up to the car also happened to be a blonde. She asked for the blonde's driver's license. The driver searched frantically in her purse for a while and finally said to the blonde policewoman, "What does a driver's license look like?' Irritated, the blonde cop said, "Don't be a smartass!, it's got your picture on it!" The blonde driver frantically searched her purse again and found a small, rectangular mirror down at the bottom. She held it up to her face and said, "Aha! This must be my driver's license", then handed it to the blonde policewoman. The blonde cop looked in the mirror, handed it back to the driver and said, "You're free to go. And, if I had known you were a police officer too, we could have avoided all of this."
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Why is it always Mister what happened to the term Master for younger males?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Mick F wrote:
Bicycler wrote:My vote's for Mick :wink:
Thank you!
I'm not sure that it's a compliment or not! :lol:

A blonde was speeding in a 25 mile per hour residental zone when a local police cruiser pulled her over. The female police officer who walked up to the car also happened to be a blonde. She asked for the blonde's driver's license. The driver searched frantically in her purse for a while and finally said to the blonde policewoman, "What does a driver's license look like?' Irritated, the blonde cop said, "Don't be a smartass!, it's got your picture on it!" The blonde driver frantically searched her purse again and found a small, rectangular mirror down at the bottom. She held it up to her face and said, "Aha! This must be my driver's license", then handed it to the blonde policewoman. The blonde cop looked in the mirror, handed it back to the driver and said, "You're free to go. And, if I had known you were a police officer too, we could have avoided all of this."

He's at it again! Bringing the tone of the forum up a level. Does nobody think of the children :cry:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!