No Clarkson Thread yet?!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: No Clarkson Thread yet?!

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:No you didn't, and it wasn't my intention to infer that you did, so happy to confirm.

Thread's developed into a good debate :)

Yes it has! - and let's launch into a rip-roaring discussion about which word is right: "infer" or "imply"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Errrmmmm .... perhaps some other time. :oops:

No debate - I am shamed :oops:

I should wait for my coffee to take affect before posting eh :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

RogerThat wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
RogerThat wrote:Looks likely Clarkson and his two amigos are about to get exactly what that wanted all along! Netflix have apparently offered him full control, a very large budget and final cut over any car show they wish to produce. He's a canny beggar, I'll give him that! ;)

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/jeremy ... w.html?m=1

It was never really in doubt tbh - all 3 will go.

I don't think it will be anything like as successful as the current (previous?!) one though, irrespective of where it goes. There was something about the dynamic between Clarkson and the BBC, not least because it generated a steady stream of publicity, typically just prior to the airing of each series...

Au contraire! May has already said the three of them are a 'package'. It's the BBC who will be left with a £150 million white elephant and no one (that I can see from the risible list of candidates) to make it work or in any way go head to head with Clarkson and co on Netflix.

Clarkson 6, BBC 0! ;)

Oh it'll sell by the bucketload, I don't doubt, but what I meant was there will no longer be that dynamic between "Auntie" and her errant child which is such a feature of the Clarkson persona.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Why are you shocked?
A few photos of someone on a bike proves nothing about anything :?

PS, It's called PR :wink:
It proves they ride a bike, at least sometimes. I don't know why it'd be good PR for Clarkson, he has been sacked by the BBC. I don't think his riding a bike would've changed their or anybody else's view of him....

Because it attempts to show him as a down to earth ordinary man on on the street,who is so ordinary he rides a bike.
When the truth is anything but.
As Flinders posted up thread check out the man's track(sic) record,he thrives and lives on adolescent bully boy tactics of elevating himself and poking fun and putting down in a very derisory way,any small minority group that comes to hand.
If people find that entertaining heaven help them,they need to get a life,my terming such people as ********s up thread still stands as the wisdom of entertainment such that Clarkson and the other two spew out is tedious in the extreme,though you can't account for taste.
It's humour of the lowest form,and attracts the type who can't see past their own self interest which is then played out in the context of the show's subject matter namely the roads which we all use.
Good riddance to bad tv IMO,though I do agree,some other station will employ the three little pigs who'll,I've no doubt revel in their own muck and excrement whilst others sit and watch approvingly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Like some others here my distaste in watching bullies paid for by our taxes means I refuse to watch what I previously thought humorous.
TG lacked any serious motoring to offset the staged races and lack of skill by JC.

I see that BBC plan to charge households in the future (like council tax) for their fee, not phase out the licence.

The head of the BBC has said that the BBC has not ruled out JC returning in the future to the BBC :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Clarkson makes good tv. I have no interest in cars unfortunately,but that I drive a Ms Marple. My interest in Clarkson is in his forthrightness. He's opinionated. Am not sure of his politics(Chipping Norton set?). Would he sit on the right shoulder of Paxo? I would like to see him in some political debate with,say,Pete Burns,Alex Salmond or George Galloway. That's 5 * TV. And any threats or acts of violence,feel sure any of the suggested 3 would give as good as they got! Maybe I should go on Dragons Den to propose the showdown,surely would bring in fee paying crowds. Setting: Wembley or O2 arena?
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

With a Netflix deal, the trio will be selling into a truly global market. I'd expect that they'd make many multiples of their current salaries, especially if they design the format and retain some sort of global rights to it. Essentially they ARE the format, as the interaction between the three is what people tune into. I disagree with all of the 'bully boy' tactics implied above. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 'wounded' producer didn't come with them to Netflix (or Sky) the whole thing stinks of a PR managed feeding frenzy, where the only winners are the three exiting stage left to brighter skies, and the BBC the dumb schmuck left to pick up the tatters.

Clarkson is very shrewd. If you look at all the TV footage in the last few days it's clear he's a brilliant manipulator of the media, love him or loathe him I'm sure you'll have to agree he's an extremely sharp operator.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
RogerThat wrote:Looks likely Clarkson and his two amigos are about to get exactly what that wanted all along! Netflix have apparently offered him full control, a very large budget and final cut over any car show they wish to produce. He's a canny beggar, I'll give him that! ;)

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/jeremy ... w.html?m=1

It was never really in doubt tbh - all 3 will go.

I don't think it will be anything like as successful as the current (previous?!) one though, irrespective of where it goes. There was something about the dynamic between Clarkson and the BBC, not least because it generated a steady stream of publicity, typically just prior to the airing of each series...

Au contraire! May has already said the three of them are a 'package'. It's the BBC who will be left with a £150 million white elephant and no one (that I can see from the risible list of candidates) to make it work or in any way go head to head with Clarkson and co on Netflix.

Clarkson 6, BBC 0! ;)

His contract was up for renewal anyway. All he had to do was not sign and negotiate elsewhere. No need to physically and verbally abuse an innocent person to get there.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Clarkson Made entertaining TV once.
Backed by OUR BBC and his background which went way back.
He used all his nine lives,
Galloway etc, I wouldn't pay but I would watch in the same way I watch England (footy) for the novelty :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:... May has already said the three of them are a 'package'....

Interesting that it is one of the "tag along twins" who is declaring "the three of them are a 'package'". No doubt wanting (or trying) to make sure they are included in whatever Clarkson negotiates.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
That's a sad thing for May to say, to be joined at the hip, has he no self belief.................................
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:...
Clarkson is very shrewd. If you look at all the TV footage in the last few days it's clear he's a brilliant manipulator of the media, love him or loathe him I'm sure you'll have to agree he's an extremely sharp operator.

If he were so shrewd then I would have expected him to conjure-up something to get him "sacked" that was better than him losing his temper and hitting an innocent. A shrewd person would have done something close/over the "line" yet something his loyal fans could really get behind. Instead of which he has undoubtedly alienated the more moderate element of his audience (those who consider his abusive behaviour unacceptable). He's created enough controversies before so I'd have expected a smart person to manage something better than the "shrewd plan" he ended-up using.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
RogerThat wrote:... May has already said the three of them are a 'package'....

Interesting that it is one of the "tag along twins" who is declaring "the three of them are a 'package'". No doubt wanting (or trying) to make sure they are included in whatever Clarkson negotiates.

Ian

It's pretty self-evident they are - throughout this iteration of TG, albeit all have other ventures too. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, irrespective of whether one likes the output.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I'm pretty certain they've had a provisional deal on the table elsewhere for some time previous to the incident. It does smell very badly of an excellent stage managed PR stunt. Given Clarkson's previous shrewdness (He pocketed £5 million of the 2013\14 TG £18 million profits) I very much doubt there ever was a 'fracas' as such, just an agreement amongst 4 friends to generate as much heat and publicity before they all jump ship for $$$millions.

It's what you don't see in the press, the wheels within wheels that really matters: public opinion in this case at least, counts for very little indeed on the negotiating table.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

RogerThat wrote:I'm pretty certain they've had a provisional deal on the table elsewhere for some time previous to the incident. It does smell very badly of an excellent stage managed PR stunt. Given Clarkson's previous shrewdness (He pocketed £5 million of the 2013\14 TG £18 million profits) I very much doubt there ever was a 'fracas' as such, just an agreement amongst 4 friends to generate as much heat and publicity before they all jump ship for $$$millions.

It's what you don't see in the press, the wheels within wheels that really matters: public opinion in this case at least, counts for very little indeed on the negotiating table.

Google Andy Wilman and you'll find the true brain behind the outfit.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:I'm pretty certain they've had a provisional deal on the table elsewhere for some time previous to the incident. It does smell very badly of an excellent stage managed PR stunt. Given Clarkson's previous shrewdness (He pocketed £5 million of the 2013\14 TG £18 million profits) I very much doubt there ever was a 'fracas' as such, just an agreement amongst 4 friends to generate as much heat and publicity before they all jump ship for $$$millions....

I suspect there really was the incident described as there were independent witnesses who were quite shocked at what they saw (it did take place in public in a hotel. I see the incident as revealing the true nature of Clarkson's character as there would be many far far better ways to create publicity without the "star" having to resort to physically abusing somebody.

Ian