the lights - when do I turn them on?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

the lights - when do I turn them on?

Post by simonineaston »

OK, so this year, I'm tired of being tired of Xmas... I thought, "Blow it, I'll make an effort..." so I found some holly N wotnot and cobbled together a sort-of wreath-like-thing for the front door and then bought some nice twinkly stars wot run off batteries (actually I've got a 3v psu somewhere I think), so the 64$ Q. is, When do I turn the lights on?
I might even make my own cards... now, where's that glitter stuff??
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
beardy

Re: the lights - when do I turn them on?

Post by beardy »

24th of December sounds good to me. :mrgreen:

May I be the first to wish you all a Baa-Humbug this year. :lol:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

How about turning them on in time for the January sales. :roll:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I take it, this is not your house then :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jezer

Post by jezer »

Now that is tasteful, not :lol:
Power to the pedals
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

If you are devout, perhaps one light on the 1st, increasing by one every day, like an electronic advent calendar?
Otherwise - I always used to feel that Christmas started the day school broke up :D

Do you have your little blobs of cotton wool ready to stick on the window panes?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

simonineaston wrote:OK, so this year, I'm tired of being tired of Xmas... I thought, "Blow it, I'll make an effort..." .................so the 64$ Q. is, When do I turn the lights on???

.............when it gets dark. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

With three birthdays at the end of this week Dec 1st is when Christmass starts here.

(Yes, 28th (MrsBob), 29th (MiniBob) and 30th (MicroBob) Nov are all the family birthdays...looks like planning...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I prefer the US system.
Nothing happens about Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.

Here in UK, the shops have Christmas already starting just after Bonfire Night.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If the question is when do you put your tree / decorations up?

We've always gone for the first weekend of December. Take them down on New Years Day.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Next door neighbour already has the outside of the house, garage etc festooned with lights that are lit every evening.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:I prefer the US system.
Nothing happens about Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.

Here in UK, the shops have Christmas already starting just after Bonfire Night.

As late as that - I've seen Christmas items in shops in September...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

There is a big difference from Christmas goods being available to purchase, and shops getting people in the mood for Christmas. To actually putting up the decorations in your house, i.e. the difference between preparing for Christmas and actually starting to celebrate it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Although I was aware of Advent, I have always associated it with the arrival of a piece of cardboard with stupid little floppy cardboard doors that open to reveal a small piece of amorphous poor-quality chocolate, the sum total of which wouldn't add up to the chocolate coating on a Curly Whirly, itself a notoriously chocolate-thin zone.... It hadn't occurred to me for years that it is a proper church season. So, in anticipation of celebrating the arrival of Our Little Lord (Bless Him), the lights at the jolly old pile will be switched on at... drum-roll... dusk on the 1st of December (and off again during daylight hours.)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Si

Post by Si »

Got into the office and started telling a new coworker that I'd seen my first Christmas tree and decs up in someone's house that I rode past.....what a load of eejits putting up their decs in the middle of Nov, devaluing christmas, etc. Of course she replies: well, actually we've had ours up a week already! d'oh.