Alphabetic Photograph Challenge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vantage

Re: Alphabetic Photograph Challenge

Post by Vantage »

Geoff.D wrote:My "K" word is "Kelvin"

Umm......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

Have I got the right meaning here?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

How does -273c sound cause I can't get any Kelvins?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Guess we are all hunting for that Kelvinator fridge now. Who remembers them - death traps for those unfortunates who got shut inside!

Oops just googled it - they still make them ( but not with the death trap locking handle)

In the 1970's I had an old mini van reg no was DRY 273K
Thought about keeping the number but it went with it when it passed to that great garage in the sky when it expired. :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Vantage wrote:
Geoff.D wrote:My "K" word is "Kelvin"

Umm......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

Have I got the right meaning here?

Good afternoon, Vantage.

Well........I'm not saying. I must admit that when I's got in on Sunday teatime, having ridden out to get the shot of Chastleton House, I was cold. And it was the first time I've been cold, to any real extent, this autumn. So my mind was on "temperature", and Kelvin fits the bill. However, by deliberately not identifying it with a place or object (by saying that my K "word" is Kelvin) I left it open to interpretation. I could think of 4 and then along came rjb with a Kelvinator and Redvee with an arithmetical vision!

Who am I to judge? I think it just needs a photo with a bike in it and a visual reference to the "K" word. Eccentric; obscure; off-the-wall; weird; tenuous.............all valid words in the Oxford English Dictionary!!!

(Here's something I didn't know until I opted for this word - Lord Kelvin was appointed to the board of Kodak. So, by chance, here he might be as a star in a photo challenge!!!)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I knew a lad at school called Kelvin and he had a bike, sadly no photo of him as we did not get on.

So would any fridge do?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I got out the local atlas of street names, and looked for a Kelvin Street or a Kelvin Avenue etc.
Nowt that I could find.

Having lived in Glasgow a while back ...................
Kelvin Hall?
Kelvingrove?
River Kelvin?
Kelvin Industrial Estate? :lol:
Screen shot 2014-11-25 at 20.00.08.png
Come on you Glaswegians!!
I'm sure you can find a Kelvin.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Where are all the Glasgow cyclists?
Big city, loadsa cyclists around last time I was up there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Lord Kelvin was born in N. Ireland (statue in Belfast botanical gardens) and lived in Largs. But there are Kelvin Hotels scattered around, even on the south coast. There's an area of East Kilbride called Kelvin. There are many people with the first name Kelvin.

And, of course, there's temperature everywhere. It's rumoured that it 's dropping during the week....so, get out there and photograph it before it disappears altogether!!!!
Flite

Post by Flite »

DSCN0909 (500x375).jpg

DSCN0910 (500x375).jpg

I'm not sure if you will be able to make out these photos - I only have a very cheap camera, but I had to share my light bulb moment :idea:

The packaging includes the specification 2700kelvin - something to do with the relationship between temperature and colour.

I'll have to think about L, be back soon....
Flite

Post by Flite »

And your word for L is ----------- leat
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Devonport Leat up on the edge of Dartmoor near Burrator Reservoir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonport_Leat

Devonport Leat 1.jpg
Devonport Leat 2.jpg

My M is for monument.
Mick F. Cornwall
Flite

Post by Flite »

Bonus points to Mick for including a sluice gate to prove it's a leat, not just any old ditch
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Nice there, highly recommended if you are touring Dartmoor.

I had this idea of going to the leat, and then perhaps going up to the top of the moor, but it was blowing a hooligan out there! Very strong and blustery northerly, and no fun up on the moor, so I chickened out and headed back down to Tavistock. A good 30mile ride, but chilly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Nice one, Mick.
I'd thought of going just down the road to Lower Slaughter where there's a mill, with a short leat serving it. But, I guessed Flite had the longer variety in mind. In my hometown of Bradford there's an area called "goitside", where "goit" is a northern word for the same thing as a leat. There had been a long goit serving a mill at the bottom of town in 18th century. It then got overtaken by Bradford's industrialisation, (woolen) mills and associated back-to-back housing. It became extremely unsanitary, being used for laundry, oblutions and much worse.
I was born and brought up in goitside and the remnants of the goit were still to be seen, with the path of it being a long (1/2 mile) cobbled, back alley between mills and warehouses. It was called water lane. Even now, after much regeneration, remnants remain. Had I been in Yorkshire last weekend, I'd certainly have posted a shot...........as evocative of the history as your's Mick, but not as picturesque !!

By the way, I'd never known of Kelvins being a measure of emitted colour, Flite. So, I learnt something new at the weekend, even though I couldn't understand all the scientific explanation that came up when I googled it.

I'm enjoying this thread!!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Aaargggghhhh :evil: . As it happens I took a picture of a monument today but I didn't put my bike in the shot.

To top it all I won't be on the bike tomorrow :( .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade