john Mayall godfather of blues

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jawaka

john Mayall godfather of blues

Post by jawaka »

If you like blues (and I have never found anybody who hates blues) this man is a legend, Went to halifax to see him as it is going to be his last tour. Can't believe the theatre was only 2/3 full, I mean he's on a world tour, Moscow last month.
The support "King King" proves that you don't have to be an old guy to play blues. Teriffic musicians
fossala

Re: john Mayall godfather of blues

Post by fossala »

I went and saw them last month in Truro (Cornwall). Fantastic night out at a sold out venue. I've listened to John Mayall for ages but hadn't heard of King King. Since that night I've listened to them quite a bit, good polished band.

EDIT: King King is also doing another tour next year (headlining this time though). I would see them but it's all the way up in Exeter.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I've been a John Mayall fan since the mid 60's, and have more albums of his than any other artist. I've also seen him and his band perform four times over the years. He is a true professional, and the number of musicians who have been in the Bluesbreakers is incredible.
Power to the pedals
RJS

Post by RJS »

Went with my (younger), brother-in-law to see him in Torquay, he was blown away :o King King were great as well :D The Princess Theatre was not full either, but those there loved it. Glad brother-in-law liked it, it was his turn to pay :wink:
Cheers, Rob.
hondated

Post by hondated »

One of the greats I saw him some years ago at Fairfield Halls Croydon.
Peter Green if I remember correctly was also on the bill.I think he was in his own group Splinter but I am not sure whether he also played with John. Sadly he was a pastiche of his former self though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never heard of him.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reading up on this guy I was listening to and watching the real blues godfathers before he ever got started, mostly at Eel Pie Island and in West End pubs. However he is obviously a well loved great musician.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

A lot of the great players have been through his band / tutelage, but in spite of that, he's by no means my favourite. Let's face it, in spite of having people like Clapton, Green, McVie, Jack Bruce, Walter Trout, Mick Fleetwood, and Dr John in your band and if you still can't make the national conciousness, there's definitely something missing...

Have a couple or three albums, rarely listen to them
RJS

Post by RJS »

Walter Trout came to Paignton a few years back, his facial expressions were as amazing as his playing :shock: :shock: :)
Cheers, Rob.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Walter's been very ill, not long had a liver transplant. Has also managed to do a new album, though he now look s about 150lbs lighter and very unwell.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Couple of youtubes - pre-transplant, Walter in full gurn mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vusv0_VVc

and post transplant recording the new album (with Mayall guesting on Piano)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btiS6ijncMk
TerryJones

Post by TerryJones »

I have to say that I've never been a fan of John Mayall's voice.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
jezer

Post by jezer »

He has never been a great vocalist or guitar player, but he's good on keyboards. His real talent is as a bandleader, always choosing great musicians to play in the Bluebreakers.
Power to the pedals