Scottish Independence Yes or No?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scottish Independence Yes or No?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 44

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Scottish Independence Yes or No?

Post by Mick F »

British people aren't citizens, they are subjects.
Like it or not.
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Mick F wrote:British people aren't citizens, they are subjects.
Like it or not.

Not according to the British government or wikipedia.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/citizenship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_subject
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Many EU officials have already pointed out that Scottish people are EU citizens and leaving the UK doesn't change the fact they are EU citizens presumably unless Scotland votes to leave the EU
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rualexander wrote:Current British citizens in Scotland (i.e. most of the Scottish population) will likely be able to retain their British Citizenship as well as having the option to take out Scottish Citizenship under dual nationality rules.
As such, they would also retain their rights as EU citizens.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... e.23257477

Tricky one that as they could then continue voting in rUK elections if they so chose (for a further 15 years ?). But, at least when I lived overseas, you register as an overseas voter in the constituency you lived in when you emigrated. Which in the case of people living in Scotland would be "interesting". And would it be right when a country goes independent for all its citizens (who want to) to retain citizenship with the country they split from (or dual citizenship). Personally I doubt that it would happen - but I'm sure the Westminster millionaires can dream up something totally impractical and very expensive.

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

A situation that already exists all across the EU.

Every town has its foreign nationals living in it all over the UK now.
They are not actually much bothered about voting in UK elections and would be committing some sort of offence if they did so.
The electoral roll has a column for your nationality then your voting rights (local or national) are allocated accordingly.
The electoral roll is updated regularly and people would then have to fill in the box if they were not eligible to vote that side of the border. I can not see a problem with people voting both sides of the border if they have interests both sides, though you do have to be on the electoral roll only at your primary address.

The voters deciding in the referendum right now would also fall foul of those Scottish/rUK distinctions and are voting for something far more fundamental and important.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that it would be impractical to give every Scottish citizen default UK citizenship, as well. I think that they would have to do something like:
-people living in Scotland automatically get Scottish citizenship
-people living in other parts of the UK automatically get UK citizenship
-any citizen of either country (or their children) may have citizenship in the other (or dual) if they apply for it

There would probably have to be a time limit set, or another way to handle it, such within a generation (e.g. be able to show that ones parents were British citizens at the time of the split).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
c53204

Post by c53204 »

No matter what country you live in, belong to, or what political party you have voted for, the people who 'vote democratically' will ALWAYS be screwed by the politicians.... the establishment. Changing this would need a revolution - something no political party or Government has ever proposed. I live in Scotland and it is and will tear the country apart. We will end up like Northern Ireland in the 70's.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rualexander wrote:
Mick F wrote:British people aren't citizens, they are subjects.
Like it or not.

Not according to the British government or wikipedia.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/citizenship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_subject
I'm wrong. :oops:
Old knowledge I suppose.
Mick F. Cornwall
broadway

Post by broadway »

Mark1978 wrote:Many EU officials have already pointed out that Scottish people are EU citizens and leaving the UK doesn't change the fact they are EU citizens presumably unless Scotland votes to leave the EU

So why do the SNP think they will have a fast track to membership if they will still be members of the EU after independence?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Though it's complicated by the various provisions of the Irish Free State I think our relationship with RoI will best determine our relationship with an independent Scotland.

Under the The British Nationality Act 1981, in force from 1 January 1983:

Those born in the Republic of Ireland before 1949 could register as British subjects
Irish citizens, in common with those from the Commonwealth, could apply for naturalisation as British citizens rather than registration after five years' residence in the UK (three years if married or in a Civil Partnership with a British citizen)

So I suspect everyone who currently is eligible for a UK passport (and those born up to 2016 when the handover is proposed) will remain UK citizens if they so wish. Unless you have two rUK-born parents I think that after 2016 you'd get a Scottish passport only.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

For generations, for hundreds of years there was war between 'the English', whoever they were, and 'the Scots', whoever they were; but then, hundreds of years ago such enmity and killing between neighbours on such a little island was seen as disadvantageous. We became the 'United Kingdom' - not perfect but then, nothing's perfect - we stood together and fought together. Unity is an attempt to end war, as the EU is an attempt, but now, a little chubby cheeked wannabee, with aspirations of becoming a noted figure on the international scene, a world leader, is seeking disunity and division - he is seeking to split and weaken his own country...........well ok - he may succeed, and then what?

I can't blame the Scots for wanting to avoid another Thatcher government, it did none of the ordinary people any good, in the long term I don't know that it did anyone any good, nevertheless we're stronger together - as one nation we can sort out differences and problems within the 'family' - but what's the future for a divided island? We've enough enemies in the world, and they're on the march - united we can stand better, but divided we fall.

OK, war, border skirmishes and all that kind of thing is supposedly at an end - we've changed, haven't we? - maybe, but human nature hasn't changed.

My sentiments about leaving the EU are the same. Humans are not perfect, we all want what we want, we squabble and have chips on our shoulders, but we're better discussing and solving problems internally, as a united nation and continent, than going back to the dark days, that some our parents still remember.

Every split, every division, every disunity becomes a weakness. We are said to be "the brotherhood of man".......but there's always someone, who for their own reasons, for their own engrandiousment, for the increase of their own power base and wealth, seek to set themselves up on their own pedestal.

We've enough divisions within English society; Scotland is no different and we're better solving them together. What's next? - the Highlanders seeking independence from the Lowlanders?.........Yorkshire seeking independence from London?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Private Fraser was always the dubious one in Dads Army, but when it mattered he was there alongside his comrades. :D

Personally, my favourite was Walker.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What does it matter if they do become independant? I've tried the malt whisky made in Norfolk and it's a perfectly acceptable drink as is the Welsh whisky Penderyn. Lidl and Aldi both do own brand caramel wafers which are little different to Tunnocks and cost less. No problem switching to these in the event of a yes vote.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW.
Well said. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Just for clarity, my passport says I am a British Citizen
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.