Driverless Cars - New Requirements

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Driverless Cars - New Requirements

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I read somewhere that the road deaths statistics were worse in Victorian Britain
(per mile of road) ............. before the invention of the automobile.

Horses are dangerous - more dangerous than cars.

We?
As a species?

:lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

So will driverless cars even need a driver? Can I bog off on my bike for a week and program the car to meet me at my destination in the butt end of France? Hope so.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Will this car of yours stop for petrol on its way to the butt end of France?
Who will pay for it? Will it have your credit card and PIN number available?
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Will this car of yours stop for petrol on its way to the butt end of France?
Who will pay for it? Will it have your credit card and PIN number available?

Google already have all that info. And undoubtedly they will be taking their cut on it all.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or just to charge batterues, but yes - why wouldn't it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Or just to charge batterues, but yes - why wouldn't it...

The cars are driverless not alternatorless ...............
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:

They can also make use of better tech than the infernal combustion engine...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They can also make use of better tech than the infernal combustion engine...

Such as? If you mean pure electric it's worse, lacking both range and power. All right for urban use but not for long distances.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:They can also make use of better tech than the infernal combustion engine...

Such as? If you mean pure electric it's worse, lacking both range and power. All right for urban use but not for long distances.

It lacks nothing in power, and range is pretty good as well.

How many cars can do 0-60 in 4 seconds, and a 300+ mile range. Then a sub 30 second battery change to add another 300 miles.

Of course the infrastructure isn't complete yet - but it's easier and safer than petrol.

How often do you drive more than 300 miles in a day? for the *vast* majority of people that's pretty much never. I can't recall a day when our car (which tops out at about 300 miles/tank needed more than a tank of fuel in a day.

Of course I suspect you've never driven a decent all electric car...

We're pretty far OT, but one advantage to avoiding petrol is that it is easier tto charge without human interaction than adding a liquid fuel.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:They can also make use of better tech than the infernal combustion engine...

It lacks nothing in power, and range is pretty good as well.

How many cars can do 0-60 in 4 seconds, and a 300+ mile range. Then a sub 30 second battery change to add another 300 miles.

Of course the infrastructure isn't complete yet - but it's easier and safer than petrol.

How often do you drive more than 300 miles in a day? for the *vast* majority of people that's pretty much never. I can't recall a day when our car (which tops out at about 300 miles/tank needed more than a tank of fuel in a day.

Of course I suspect you've never driven a decent all electric car...

We're pretty far OT, but one advantage to avoiding petrol is that it is easier tto charge without human interaction than adding a liquid fuel.

You're right but I have driven a Nissan Leaf. According to it's owner it takes 8 hours to fully charge not sub 30 seconds.

I don't use petrol - all my cars are diesel.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've cycled nearly 4,000miles so far this year.
The car has done a similar distance, and never more than 50miles at any one time, and that was only twice. I've ridden my bike 85miles plus on a dozen occasions!

If I could afford it, I'd buy an electric car. My fave at the moment is a Renault Zoe.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
You're right but I have driven a Nissan Leaf. According to it's owner it takes 8 hours to fully charge not sub 30 seconds.

I don't use petrol - all my cars are diesel.

30 seconds is the tesla battert replacement machinery (not widely deployed), 80% in 30nutes gets you sensible breaks in a journey, stop for a coffee and a snack every 4.5-5 hours
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

[XAP]Bob wrote:How many cars can do 0-60 in 4 seconds, and a 300+ mile range. Then a sub 30 second battery change to add another 300 miles.

I am not interested in the speed but am curious to know the make and model of the electric car?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Edwards wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:How many cars can do 0-60 in 4 seconds, and a 300+ mile range. Then a sub 30 second battery change to add another 300 miles.

I am not interested in the speed but am curious to know the make and model of the electric car?

I don't know the answer but sounds like a Tesla. I remember seeing the car body/chassis being made by Lotus at Hethel. I don't remember the specs but they were certainly impressive (I thought the range was mid-200 miles on single charge and the 0-60 was less than 4 seconds - it Bob might have been talking about a different car.

Ian