Fattest tyres?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MickTheCyclist

Fattest tyres?

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Spotted this is Austria last week.
Fattest tyres I've seen on a bike.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Fattest tyres?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Fun to ride through 6" snow ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

There seems to be a trend for building fat bikes right now. Enter fat bike into google and hit the images button at the top and you'll get lots of examples returned.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I had a ride on the ICE TRICE - now they were FAT tyres!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You can buy Surly 4.7" tyres http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/big_fat_larry

Nokia(n) used to sell a 3" tyre called a Gazzalodi and a smaller 2.6", both were MTB downhill tyres.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's horses for courses in deep snow,sand,mud,etc,these tyres could be fun and beneficial but TBH they're of limited use in the UK at least.But if they fit your particular remit one of these bikes could be a real boon to your cycling IMO,for me personally a 40/45mm semi knobbly covers the 5% of riding 35mm slicks don't.

BTW,I wouldn't want to pump one up with a framefit pump should you puncture :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

When I got my LHT frame I was quite insulted by the "Fatties Fit Fine" transfer. Cheeky devils, I thought. Only not "devils".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

They work well in South America : http://www.whileoutriding.com/blog
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:It's horses for courses in deep snow,sand,mud,etc,these tyres could be fun and beneficial but TBH they're of limited use in the UK at least.But if they fit your particular remit one of these bikes could be a real boon to your cycling IMO,for me personally a 40/45mm semi knobbly covers the 5% of riding 35mm slicks don't.

BTW,I wouldn't want to pump one up with a framefit pump should you puncture :shock:

A (now ex) colleague had one - and stopped using his suspension MTB, because the fat tyres did such a good job.

Also the tyre pressure doesn't need to be high, so they're not as bad to pump as you might expect.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's horses for courses in deep snow,sand,mud,etc,these tyres could be fun and beneficial but TBH they're of limited use in the UK at least.But if they fit your particular remit one of these bikes could be a real boon to your cycling IMO,for me personally a 40/45mm semi knobbly covers the 5% of riding 35mm slicks don't.

A (now ex) colleague had one - and stopped using his suspension MTB, because the fat tyres did such a good job.

I can sort of understand that but it depends on the sort of MTBing.
I shouldn't imagine a fat bike being very nibble compared to something with say 2" tyres,yes it'll roll over bigger obstacles and ride through mud better but generally I'd think the full susser would beat it for speed on technical stuff.

Also the tyre pressure doesn't need to be high, so they're not as bad to pump as you might expect.

It's bad enough trying to get 45psi in a 35mm tyre with a frame fit pump,I don't know what fat bike tyres run at 10psi(?) but there's still a fair bit of air needs pumping in one :shock:
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There is a fair amount of air that needs moving, but you can get fatter pumps (which obviously make high pressures harder to achieve, but do move greater volumes)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:There is a fair amount of air that needs moving, but you can get fatter pumps (which obviously make high pressures harder to achieve, but do move greater volumes)

They'de need to :shock: :wink:
W H Auden
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

These fat tyres are typically run at pressures of 5 to 15 psi, the softer the ground the lower the pressure although for road use, where they are not really suited anyway, they need to blown up to something like 25 psi.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

The ICE beastie used Surly rims/tyres IIRC. Surly do a range of fat tyre levels from fatter than normal (i.e. on the Krampus) hefty chubber (Pugsley, Moonlander) (OK, my nomenclature for the labelling). The op pic looks like a Salsa on my phone screen. Not like my Salsa though...
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

The op pic is the new Specialized Fatboy.