From the courts

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

From the courts

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't often get too agitated about sentencing, but £30 + twiddly bits is nothing but a laugh when some joker is prosecuted for driving while reading a newspaper....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-28880647
Spinners

Re: From the courts

Post by Spinners »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't often get too agitated about sentencing, but £30 + twiddly bits is nothing but a laugh when some joker is prosecuted for driving while reading a newspaper....

Agreed. It's a *%$?!@# disgrace.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown was caught on camera reading a newspaper while driving along the A19 in Yorkshire.
Brown, whose real name is Royston Vasey, was photographed by a mobile safety camera with a copy of The Sun held in front of his steering wheel.

There seems to be an inconsistency between those two sentences. :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't often get too agitated about sentencing, but £30 + twiddly bits is nothing but a laugh when some joker is prosecuted for driving while reading a newspaper....

Agreed: like the Sun, it sends out all the wrong messages :roll:
"42"
jezer

Post by jezer »

Well, he's a Sun reader, 'nuff said :cry:
Power to the pedals
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

There was a great line in Porridge. Lenny was asked by Fletcher to get him The Sun and something else to read.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I remember Jasper Carrot the week after he had made some cracks about Murdoch's organ and its readers.
"I've had a lot of letters from Sun readers, after last week's show." Pause." They must have got someone to write for them."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well,he doesn't use the phone or drink and drive and abides by the law,he mustn't do he says so :?
£30 :lol: :lol: :lol: Well he is a "comedian"
Neither his driving nor "comedy" make me laugh,in fact quite the opposite :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ah but maybe if it'd been a different newspaper that required some concentration he'd have got a stiffer sentence.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I do wish people wouldn't keep knocking the Sun. It's a very popular paper. Over 4 million people have it read to them every day.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Guy951 wrote:I do wish people wouldn't keep knocking the Sun. It's a very popular paper. Over 4 million people have it read to them every day.

No they don't. Most of them just look at the pictures to see how big the knockers are.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Come, come. Let's be wary of stereotypes. This joker's material is described in media reports as "adult humour." Presumably, he was engaged in serious research.

:roll:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown was caught on camera reading a newspaper while driving along the A19 in Yorkshire.

Dave Brown, North Yorkshire Police's mobile safety camera manager, said: ...........

Family connections? :wink:
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

Comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown. Isn't that a contradiction? I find him as funny as toothache!
I am no prude but I find constant swearing in his act to be not funny and offensive.
As they say, swearing is the sign of a limited vocabulary, a comedian swearing is the sign of them not being funny.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

It seems Royston has had an attack of contrition:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ?ref=var_0

COMIC Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown has apologised after being caught behind the wheel looking at a newspaper - insisting he only glanced at it for three seconds. The controversial North-East comedian, real name Royston Vasey, was captured on police cameras perusing The Sun as he drove his Lexus along the A19 near Crathorne, North Yorkshire. After pleading guilty by post he was fined £30 by Northallerton Magistrates’ on Wednesday and received four penalty points. He was also ordered to pay costs of £40 and a victim surcharge of £20.

The 69-year-old, of East Harlsey, North Yorkshire, admitted this weekend: “I was in the wrong and that’s it. I apologise. “I’m guilty as charged and I just have to sit back and lick my wounds.”. He said he had shopped at a nearby Tesco store and was driving home when he took a “three second glance” at the tabloid newspaper. “It was a glance, it wasn’t as if I was reading an article.”

His image was captured by one of the police’s mobile camera operators and the resulting video clearly shows him with the newspaper spread in front of the steering wheel. The Grangetown-born star claimed his car was recognisable because of its private number plate. He added:“This is the second or third incident I have had with North Yorkshire Police over stupid, stupid things.” North Yorkshire Police insisted the force treated everyone exactly the same. “When the offence was detected there was a car driving down a dual carriageway with the driver reading a newspaper that could clearly be seen over the steering wheel.”