PC vs tablet

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: PC vs tablet

Post by al_yrpal »

horizon wrote:
Mick F wrote:
As well as my Sony CMD-Z7, I have a GPS, I have a laptop, I have a map and a compass, and a multitool.
What more do I need?

I can't tell you now, but ask me again in ten years time when they've invented a few more things that you must take with you. Given that in the past everyone cycled without them, you don't need a laptop, GPS, or mobile phone. God only knows what they will think of next. Personally I hope it's a must-have-take tea maker. :D

But…. It must 12 volt right? :D
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote:I can't tell you now, but ask me again in ten years time when they've invented a few more things that you must take with you. Given that in the past everyone cycled without them, you don't need a laptop, GPS, or mobile phone. God only knows what they will think of next.
I cycled for most of my life without that lot of course.

I don't need a mobile phone, but it doesn't 'arf make life simpler for keeping in touch. When I did my first JOGLE way back in '94, I had a BT Charge Card and phoned home from those quaint old red boxes you used to see on the sides of the roads and at every street corner.

The laptop is to keep in touch with you lot when I'm away. :lol: I've tried a smartphone , but the screen and "keyboard" is way too small. The laptop also processes my photographs and keeps my rides diary up to date, plus stores my GPX routes and analyses my rides in Ascent. My maps are in their too. I don't worry about the extra weight.

The GPS - a Garmin Montana these days - is wonderful as it has a variety of mapping on a big bright screen. I don't need to stop and look at a paper map and orientate it with a compass, and I can use it without reading glasses. I'll take a paper map with me, and a compass (and reading glasses), just in case I have a total electrical failure. ( I don't intend riding at night, but I'll be taking my lights).

Six weeks to go, and I'm off. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
shouldbeinbed

Post by shouldbeinbed »

Psamathe wrote:There is still quiet a large "gap" between functionality of a laptop and a phone/tablet. Office (e.g. MS Word/Excel/etc), etc. not available (as of today) for phone/tablet.

really? even the nibbled fruit variety has a rather good (if 'classic' style) MS Office suite

Android (quick office and dataviz's documents to go particularly are good) and windows devices have this with plenty of the sort of routine functionality that this thread is mentioning people using. I'm well over 18 months on Windows smartphones and have had MS office functionality suitable for my domestic needs for all of that time.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

shouldbeinbed wrote:
Psamathe wrote:There is still quiet a large "gap" between functionality of a laptop and a phone/tablet. Office (e.g. MS Word/Excel/etc), etc. not available (as of today) for phone/tablet.

really? even the nibbled fruit variety has a rather good (if 'classic' style) MS Office suite

Android (quick office and dataviz's documents to go particularly are good) and windows devices have this with plenty of the sort of routine functionality that this thread is mentioning people using. I'm well over 18 months on Windows smartphones and have had MS office functionality suitable for my domestic needs for all of that time.

W8.1 tablets typically come with MS Office, sometimes trial, but my Miix2 (8") came with full version of 2013. Shame I hate the ribbon. I believe 8.1 RT by default comes with Office also. Even better if the gizmo can be docked to create a desktop, but sadly most of the tiny W8.1 jobbies don't have mHDMI ports. Asus T100-T transformer perhaps a good option as it does (mHMDI), and Office, and keyboard.

Now perhaps I should go back and read the rest of this thread before I continue posting blind. :roll:

Edit... Oooar, just seen I was in on this thread on the previous page. Musta been posting from holiday. :oops:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bluetooth keyboards are key to use a tablet as a main machine, but it can easily be done...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm eating my words ............

We're buying an iPad Mini later today. Mrs Mick F has convinced me that we should have one so we don't have to lug around a heavy laptop when we go away ........... and I don't have to lug one in my trailer when I go off in three weeks time.

Click and Collect via John Lewis. Cheaper than via Apple plus you get a (free) full three years warranty.
http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-min ... p231800434

I can keep in touch via email - and video calls if I so desire - my Garmin Montana will hold all my routes and record all my riding and I can upload the recordings when I get home. Meanwhile, the Montana screen is so big, I can see all the maps and where I've been and where I'm going. I don't NEED a laptop to do this. I'll have a road atlas and a compass, so I won't be completely lost if the Montana throws a wobbler.

There are many things that an iPad won't do compared to a laptop, but what it does do is completely different to what a laptop does. I'm going to have to learn about clouds and apps and learn about new things. I'm not good at change, I love stability and normality, but I must embrace change to move forward. I'm told it's good for me, so I must obey. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Congrats Mick, you won't regret it. Keep us updated on your thoughts.

And...you won't realise this yet, you will have to buy another one (for Mrs Mick) quite soon. :D

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 19 Apr 2014, 2:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mill4six wrote:So the laptop is on it's way out and I'm wondering do I really need a new one? Would a good tablet suffice? Given that all I use it for is email , Facebook, forums, a few photos and some very basic word processing and spreadsheets. I ask because even now I use my smartphone a fair bit especially as it's immediate whereas the pc takes a while to boot up and even then It's usually blocked by the kids. Phone is a bit of a faff though. Any recommendations?

FWIW as an old fart who's a bit thick when it comes to these things,I have tower computer with separate monitor,keyboard,mouse,etc and have used it for years without issue.
Recently My SinL bought me a Dell Vostro laptop(nice chap)it's great :)
Two of my daughters have tablets,ones an ipad the other a Samsung,they're user interface is awful and I don't like the touch screen operation one bit extremely frustrating to use :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Apr 2014, 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

A few of the folk here've been extolling the virtues of Linux, and I've been looking into it a little.

Right now I am getting interested in the idea of a tablet running the new Ubuntu 14.04, when one finally gets released. But... Really I have little idea about Linux bar the appearance and more basic reviews, etc. Almost all reference to the broad world that is Linux occurs in a different language- Geekese. Seemingly, it is the preserve of technical outsiders (ahem), whose discussions and forums look just like a long page of code.

One thing I would be interested to know though (sorry if this diverts the thread), is whether Linux, in it's various incarnations, particularly Ubuntu (being the most popular/likely to be on tablets) is offline friendly. i.e. Is it just as convenient to use when you are away from any form of connection to the interjobby? Unlike the other biggies... Googlesnot was always like that, and MS ware is more and more going down this alley (can't comment on modern MacOS' in this regard, I have no idea).
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I'm sure tablets have their uses for people who live interesting, busy, dynamic lives, but as far as I can see they mainly appeal to people who need to be constantly checking Facebook and Twitter while they watch TV.

The full sized keyboard and big screen of a desktop PC is easily the best for all purposes, and as I have no need for the internet while I'm on the move desktop PCs are all I use - one at work and one at home.

I also like the fact that desktop PCs are cheap, long lasting, reliable and usually repairable by me, and the bit most likely to fail, the keyboard, can be replaced quickly and easily for a few pounds.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm on using this iPad thingy. :D

It's taken an hour or two to sort out emails, but on line stuff was easy.

Next job is to see if I can get info from my computer onto it.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

blackbike wrote:I'm sure tablets have their uses for people who live interesting, busy, dynamic lives, but as far as I can see they mainly appeal to people who need to be constantly checking Facebook and Twitter while they watch TV.

The full sized keyboard and big screen of a desktop PC is easily the best for all purposes, and as I have no need for the internet while I'm on the move desktop PCs are all I use - one at work and one at home.

I also like the fact that desktop PCs are cheap, long lasting, reliable and usually repairable by me, and the bit most likely to fail, the keyboard, can be replaced quickly and easily for a few pounds.

They are excellent for anyone who wants portability for any reason (commuting, touring etc.) or has limited space at home (my PC will take up the space of a very thin paperback on the shelf.
It cost me ~£170, and it's relatively easy to get cheaper. Add £1 for the special cable to use anything USB (mouse, keyboard, USB disk etc)

I can certainly envisage this tablet lasting a good number of years, but frankly I'll not be sad if I decide to replace it (and pass it down to the kids) after 3 or 4 years - the upgrade would be to get something like BT4.

I no longer use a smartphone, because a pocketable tablet does basically everything I need
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
They are excellent for anyone who wants portability for any reason (commuting, touring etc.) or has limited space at home (my PC will take up the space of a very thin paperback on the shelf.
It cost me ~£170, and it's relatively easy to get cheaper. Add £1 for the special cable to use anything USB (mouse, keyboard, USB disk etc)

I can certainly envisage this tablet lasting a good number of years, but frankly I'll not be sad if I decide to replace it (and pass it down to the kids) after 3 or 4 years - the upgrade would be to get something like BT4.

I no longer use a smartphone, because a pocketable tablet does basically everything I need

What make and where from? :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:I'm on using this iPad thingy. :D

It's taken an hour or two to sort out emails, but on line stuff was easy.

Next job is to see if I can get info from my computer onto it.

I think you might find an android tablet, with card slot and usb OTG, a lot easier to get stuff into and out of, whether to a computer or your Montana. The main shortfall relative to a laptop on tour would be the lack of Basecamp, if that matters to you.
sjs

Post by sjs »

mrjemm wrote:Almost all reference to the broad world that is Linux occurs in a different language- Geekese. Seemingly, it is the preserve of technical outsiders (ahem), whose discussions and forums look just like a long page of code.

Odd that linux and cycling seem to be correlated!