Windows 8.1 urgent security update

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
TonyR

Windows 8.1 urgent security update

Post by TonyR »

Just had a note through from my IT bods warning that if you have Windows 8.1 you need to update it within the next 30 days or you will no longer get the security updates. Fortunately I'm a Mac user.

What this means is those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window - and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates.

This means that Windows 8.1 users - starting patch Tuesday in May 2014 and beyond - will require this update to be installed. If the Windows 8.1 Update is not installed, those newer updates will be considered “not applicable.”
http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsf ... s-8-1.aspx

Important All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355
BeeKeeper

Re: Windows 8.1 urgent security update

Post by BeeKeeper »

A bit of Googling suggests what MS have released should be more accurately called a Service Pack, as they did in the days of XP. It seems they just want everyone to have their Win 8.X up to the same level so they are not trying to support older versions.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Due to stock sitting on shelves in shops, this can only mean you must install update x to get further updates. You will be able to get update x at any time of your choosing if anyone was thinking if you don't update in the next 30 days, you will never be able to again.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Not good for those running out of storage space.

I have killed my tablet, but installing the update would've been painful, however much I wanted to use it- I believe it requires 3-3.5gb on top of the current installation. When looking at discussions about the update just before it came out, some folk'd been saying they'd have no room on their 32gb tabs (like mine).

Quite maddens me really that this stuff is getting so big, and tab makers aren't putting in big enough 'drives'. (What do I say now? They're not hard drives, they're not 'memory', hmmm). 32gb may be enough for other OS', but not full on windies.

A shame I can't stand Crapple and Googlesnot even more than MSW on it's worst days. (Sorry for the bad grammar, my brain couldn't come up with a better way of saying that).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

On the 32GB drives, have a look and see if 8GB is consumed by the recovery partition. If it is, this can be moved off onto a USB drive and the 8GB reclaimed.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mrjemm wrote:Quite maddens me really that this stuff is getting so big, and tab makers aren't putting in big enough 'drives'. (What do I say now? They're not hard drives, they're not 'memory', hmmm). 32gb may be enough for other OS', but not full on windies.

Storage is IMHO the correct word, it may also be omitted entirely (e.g. I have a 16GB tablet)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As a reluctant buyer of an 8.1 laptop following the demise of XP, I read this and considered ending it all. Then it occurred to me that I have opted for automatic updates. Can I come out from under the bed?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

iandriver wrote:On the 32GB drives, have a look and see if 8GB is consumed by the recovery partition. If it is, this can be moved off onto a USB drive and the 8GB reclaimed.

Thanks Ian. If I ever get it working again, I'll have a look into this. Good suggestion!

thirdcrank wrote:As a reluctant buyer of an 8.1 laptop following the demise of XP, I read this and considered ending it all. Then it occurred to me that I have opted for automatic updates. Can I come out from under the bed?

Did you get more than 32gb, TC? And I guess your's is working anyway. :wink:

I guess I am almost kinda lucky I got the cheap Miix2 and it died. It'll make me more wary. I had been hoping to get the new Thinkpad 8 on release, and that would've been a far more expensive problem. Too broke right now, but still want Windows if I need to replace the broken one (though pondering the possibility of replacing Googlesnot with Linux (Ubuntu perhaps?) on the remaining tab).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mrjemm wrote: .. Did you get more than 32gb, TC? And I guess your's is working anyway. ...

The little sticker in front of me says:

MEMORY: 4 GB DDR3 L Memory
STORAGE: 500 GB HDD

So the answer to the first question is "Yes and no." I'm using it to post this, so the answer to the second is "Touch wood."
jezer

Post by jezer »

And for the rest of us who speak English :shock:
Power to the pedals
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

thirdcrank wrote:
mrjemm wrote: .. Did you get more than 32gb, TC? And I guess your's is working anyway. ...

The little sticker in front of me says:

MEMORY: 4 GB DDR3 L Memory
STORAGE: 500 GB HDD

So the answer to the first question is "Yes and no." I'm using it to post this, so the answer to the second is "Touch wood."

Sorry, I did indeed mean the storage, so you're onto a winner with 500gb. Loooooadsa room.

Just read somewhere else though, that installing the new 8.1 update actually cleared up a bit of room on someone's machine. Was in comments section though, so could be a loada bunkum.