Reducing File size

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
leo66

Reducing File size

Post by leo66 »

Hi Everyone, The photo files I'd like to upload are too big and I've been having some trouble trying to reduce them. I've used the suggested link(Microsoft Windows) and have uploaded them to Windows Photo Gallery, but I've had no luck finding out how to do it. Apparentally, it's done on the Windows Photo Viewer. can anyone give me a step by step idiots guide of what I need to do - or is there a simple alternative method. Cheers all
BeeKeeper

Re: Reducing File size

Post by BeeKeeper »

You can reduce images using an editing program such as Photoshop Elements but I find the best way to display images on this site is to use the URL method.

I use http://www.flickr.com and upload my pictures to this website and then link the URL of the image in my post.

For example (img) http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8499/8366 ... 1330_b.jpg (/img) (but with square brackets around the "img"
will produce this:

This method allows you to display more or less any size of image on this Forum.

There are a few tips and tricks, for example I find the URL needs to edited, but if you create an account in Flickr first I can then talk you through it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is further information on a couple of older threads.

Start with viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68984 that one has a link to another thread, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
leo66

Post by leo66 »

Hi all, I've finally sussed it out from someone on one of the other related posts; click on image, right side click on mouse, edit, resize(alter both horizontal/vertical), save as attach file, hey presto. As the poster said- easy peasy once you know how! Cheers all.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

BeeKeeper wrote:I use http://www.flickr.com and upload my pictures to this website and then link the URL of the image in my post.
This method allows you to display more or less any size of image on this Forum.

Not so. Resize is still necessary.

The forum will truncate linked images to fit the available display width, so if you link a 3000 pixel wide image straight from your camera, less than half of it will be visible on a 1280 or 1440 wide laptop screen. That's unfortunate if the point of interest used to be at the right side of the image.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Anyone using Linux can download 'Shutter', a screenshoot tool which takes up little space on the hard disk and is fast and convenient.

Ray

EDIT - oops, not Shutter but 'Simple Image Reducer' (now there's an inspired title :wink: ), which does the job well.

--- but, yes, Shutter is also very handy for screenshots :)
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you have images in Flickr you can get Flickr to do the resizing & just grab a link to a smaller size to use in your post. When viewing the image click on the 3 dots at the bottom right and select "View all sizes" which takes you to a page where you can view the image at different sizes. Select the size you want. Above the image is a link that says "Download: Download the xxx size of this photo" - if you right click on that link and choose "copy shortcut" (Internet Exploder)/ "Copy link location" (Firefox) or the equivalent in whatever browser you use you can paste that in the middle of the Img tags (pressing the "Img" button above the post you are writing is the simplest way), then the reduced size image will appear in your post.

If the image is on your computer the simplest way to reduce it (assuming you use Windows) is to use Image Resizer a free utility that adds a "Resize Pictures" option if you right click on an image. Image Resizer makes a copy of the image (or multiple images if you select more than one) adding "(Small", "(Medium)" or "(Large)", depending on which option you choose, after the file name. Then just use "Upload attachment" to do upload the reduced image instead of the full size one.

If someone has added a picture that is too big & you can only see part of it you can see it all, as long as it isn't tooooo big, by using your browser's zoom option. Usually to zoom out is CTRL & "-" (hold CTRL key down & press minus/dash with Ctrl & "+" to zoom in and Ctrl & "0", that's zero, to go back to normal). CTRL and the mouse wheel often works as well to zoom in and out.

Hope these help.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.