Needing to log in too often?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
admin
Site Admin

Needing to log in too often?

Post by admin »

We are aware that there are issues with the new forum, meaning that some people have to keep logging in. I will investigate why this might be, and how we can fix it to have similar behaviour to the previous version of the Forum.

In the meantime, please feel free to post replies here, detailing:

• When you find you have to log in when you used not to have to
  • What browser, and version, you're using
  • Who provides your internet connection

Anthony
admin
Site Admin

Re: Needing to log in too often?

Post by admin »

I've just made a change to the Forum's cookie settings, which may well help with this problem.

Anthony
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Its OK now ,I'm using Firefox / Waitrose ISP
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

I'm rather upset to put it mildly.
I've logged in and was composing something for posting in the technical thread which of necessity takes a while. What!! I've been logged out and puff, it's gone. What I've been writing has disappeared for ever. What I've spent many minutes writing has been lost. Why offer a facility to compose postings which times-out after so few minutes. Give a warning to Forum members about this time-out, we deserve better.
Graham

Post by Graham »

cycloret wrote: . . . . . Why offer a facility to compose postings which times-out after so few minutes. Give a warning to Forum members about this time-out, we deserve better.

Wow, sorry about that. Many of us have been bitten by the disappearing / lost post.
I'm not even sure if I know why this happens. In your case it does sound even more atypical. Timing out after a few minutes doesn't sound "normal".

Please excuse this suggestion, but it has a serious intent.
Whilst typing your text please regularly or periodically click the "save draft" button below the text entry box - especially if you posting a long or considered message.
I tend to Select ALL and copy into copy buffer. ( and not just for this forum, but for many other internet applications ).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The board currently has a session expiry time of 3600 seconds, or one hour. So if you haven't changed page on the Forum you will be logged out after an hour.

But this sounds like you were logged out sooner?

Did the form contents disappear when you tried to post the message, or before that?

Which Internet Service Provider are you using? AOL sometimes causes problems like this.

As for remembering what you've spent time typing into online forms, I can recommend using the Opera web browser (http://www.opera/com). With this browser if a forum submission goes wrong you can just go "back" to the form page with everything you typed in still in place. For other browsers it's usually a better idea to compose your message in something else (Word or Notepad, perhaps) if it's likely to take a long time to write.
Graham

Post by Graham »

admin wrote:As for remembering what you've spent time typing into online forms, I can recommend using the Opera web browser (http://www.opera/com). With this browser if a forum submission goes wrong you can just go "back" to the form page with everything you typed in still in place. For other browsers it's usually a better idea to compose your message in something else (Word or Notepad, perhaps) if it's likely to take a long time to write.

Ah ha, that explains why I have got most of my lost stuff back just by going through the screens. i.e. I haven't even needed my standby backup. I was using Opera almost exclusively during 2010.
I'm alternating between Opera and Chrome at the moment . . . . undecided.