Nexus 7 logging on difficulties

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
bikepacker

Nexus 7 logging on difficulties

Post by bikepacker »

I have got a Nexus 7 but it refuses to log on to this forum if my main computer is already logged on. Is this normal and if not is there a way to overcome the problem?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
robgul

Re: Nexus 7 logging on difficulties

Post by robgul »

bikepacker wrote:I have got a Nexus 7 but it refuses to log on to this forum if my main computer is already logged on. Is this normal and if not is there a way to overcome the problem?

I think that the forum software* (for obvious reasons of "personation") only allows a user to be logged in one instance.

I too have a PC and Nexus 7 - both with the ID and PW saved for automatic log-on ... just make sure the browser is closed and that will let the Nexus connect (and, of course vice versa) - the browser, if ID/PW is saved will connect and log-on immediately.

* I run a forum using very similar software and that has a "one at a time" restriction

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

I am currently logged in on my desktop, Nexus 7 and am writing this on my laptop.

Peter
drossall

Post by drossall »

Web log-ons don't (normally) work like that. There is no real "session" to maintain, unlike an old-style online terminal. Each page request is independent of each other one, and the forum (in this case), once it has delivered your requested page/thread, has no way of knowing whether you are still there - in fact, it's not really clear what "still there" means.

It's rather like a barman who has sold you a pint (delivered a page). You're consuming it, but he doesn't know whether you'll come back for another and, as you're round the corner, he can't even see whether you are still drinking (reading). Even if you had a card (log-on) to which you charged each purchase, so that you could be recognised each time, it would still be unclear whether you were still there or not in between.

Indeed, until you decided whether to have another drink (view another page), even you wouldn't really be able to say whether you were still there, or had wandered off in another window to choose your new bike. If you do that, at exactly what point does your log-on session end? When you forget about the conversation because you're deciding on the wheels? When you go off and make a cup of tea? When you shut down the PC in excitement because the delivery man just came and you're off to ride the new machine?

Almost certainly not when you actually log out, because most people probably never actually do that, any more than you tell the bar man, 30 minutes after your last purchase, that you've drunk up and you're leaving now.

For this reason, it wouldn't be clear enough whether you still had an active log-on on one machine for the information to be used to block your access on another.

Special measures are taken in higher-security situations, but the purpose is to spot fraudulent access. Cycling forums will normally want to let you get access easily, because they want your words of wisdom, and fraud isn't such an issue.