Dibs.....Why bother?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
fast but dim

Dibs.....Why bother?

Post by fast but dim »

I'm starting to get fed up of "dibs" posts in the classifieds.

On three occasions now I've bought things that have been "Dibs"ed where the "dibser" has pulled out, where I have known from the off I am willing to buy.

I moderate on another forum where dibsing is banned in the classifieds (as is a mystical "pm sent"). All a dibs does is discourage other buyers: surely any questions should be posted in thread, or via pm?

I prefer a concrete "I'll take it", perhaps an "I'll take it subject to"..... pics / size info / postage etc etc.

Thoughts?
fossala

Re: Dibs.....Why bother?

Post by fossala »

I dibed pending size of a tent packed, turned out it was too big. I pm'd him afterwords to tell him I'm not interested now and why, he then updated the thrad.
I can't see the problem.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I view it as a tactic to discourage other buyers. I wouldn't take any notice of it when buying or selling (and when selling, I'd post to negate any dibbing) but each to their own.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Surely "dibs" is just a slang way of saying, "I'm interested" - it's entirely up to the seller to react in any way they see fit, as in "Show us yer money"! (When I was a kid, it was "bagsy", but I imagine that forums, the web vs. of bulletin boards, have adopted the US word as a consequence of their origin back in the dim distant ancient past of the 'Net)
It reminds me of the time I had a very nice bass guitar for sale. A guy rang me and asked about it - "Sounds great", he said "I'll have it". He rang again to say he was on his way to get some cash and asked me to keep it for him. He rang again a bit later to check my address and said he'd be around in a few minutes... I never heard from him again.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

simonineaston wrote:Surely "dibs" is just a slang way of saying, "I'm interested"

My understanding is that "dibs" is a slang way of saying "I'll have it" - so I agree with the OP.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

'dibs' means first claim. It's not a commitment, though. A better translation is 'it is mine if I want it'. It probably has come from the USA, but in most places it was children's slang until fairly recently.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

fast but dim wrote:Thoughts?

Similar discussion four years ago. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50727&start=15#p421680

Si wrote:We advise that people PM the seller and leave a post in the thread to show that they are interested.

IMO posts of "Dibs" and "PM sent" are both expressions of interest.

Si wrote:However, as has been said, it is the seller's item and their choice to sell to who they want - the forum can't control this, only advise. ...
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Spinners wrote:
simonineaston wrote:Surely "dibs" is just a slang way of saying, "I'm interested"

My understanding is that "dibs" is a slang way of saying "I'll have it" - so I agree with the OP.

As long as sellers are prepared to give first refusal to the dibbzers, there's not a lot you can do about it! The primary relationship is between seller and dibbzer - everyone else is a powerless observer, waiting in the wings for such meagre scraps as get thrown down from the top table, when they've finished devouring all the best bits of the feast...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The tread in Gaz's link mentioned the dreaded "Saddle Bag Thread" but unfortunately there was no link to that.

It could be classed as a good guide to how things can go wrong, also entertainment.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Bonefish Blues

Post by Bonefish Blues »

simonineaston wrote:
Spinners wrote:

As long as sellers are prepared to give first refusal to the dibbzers, there's not a lot you can do about it! The primary relationship is between seller and dibbzer - everyone else is a powerless observer, waiting in the wings for such meagre scraps as get thrown down from the top table, when they've finished devouring all the best bits of the feast...

Dibber and Dibee, shirley?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonineaston wrote:... I never heard from him again.

Easily explained
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cunobelin wrote:
simonineaston wrote:... I never heard from him again.

Easily explained

:lol:
S
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have to say I'm a bit ruthless and normally offer anything I'm selling as "first past the post" (i.e. paying) - too many tyre-kickers out there! Equally if I'm buying - I make a decision and go ahead and pay.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker