Thread Closure

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
NUKe

Thread Closure

Post by NUKe »

Not a criticism of the regular posters.

But a recent post on older thread brought it back to the top. People often seek advice on here, Then don't post the outcome. You know the sort. I want to buy...., or I need to fix this. A lot of people don't bother to then return and affectively close thread with A thanks Guys/Girls I bought this or I used that or I took it to the LBS in the end.

And whist we are on the subject How many I have a stack of wonga/my company is running a ctw scheme threads are there
NUKe

Re: Thread Closure

Post by gaz »

When I read the thread title I was expecting a request to close the Three Word Story Game and delete it (and it's predecessors) from the record :lol: . That would certainly help users of the search engine.

I sometimes wonder if thread necromancy is unintentional. e.g. A thread on Four chainwheels starts, is quickly linked to an older thread about 4th Chainring and a poster who has followed the link brings new life by replying on the old thread.

I suppose it would be possible to lock threads after 12 months inactivity to make sure that they join the thread choir celestial, although someone on the admin team would have to put the initial work in.

That would stop resurrection of Zombie threads but would probably result in even more CTW threads.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

gaz wrote:When I read the thread title I was expecting a request to close the Three Word Story Game and delete it (and it's predecessors) from the record :lol: . That would certainly help users of the search engine.

:D I wish
NUKe

Post by Bicycler »

Whilst it can be a bit daft when somebody resurrects an ancient thread for no reason I think it is tidier for people asking the exact same question to use an old thread rather than a brand new one. If there is any point to archiving threads it is so that they can be read as reference. It would aid someone searching enormously if there were only one thread asking for people's experiences of (say) Spa Saddles or the Trans Pennine Trail. Arguably it would still be good for somebody who could provide a definitive answer to resurrect an old thread so that the answer appears when somebody else searches

Other threads are of little use once they have served their purpose. That has to be the worst thing about "which bike should I buy with my £1200" threads, they are so personal and of little use to others. It is a bit annoying when some apparently completely indecisive people want new bike buying advice on a near-monthly basis.

In an ideal world I guess such threads would be locked or deleted after a time, duplicate threads would be merged and useful threads indexed, but it would require a ridiculous amount of moderating time. It may not be ideal to have threads dragged up from 6 feet under but I'd rather not have threads automatically locked.

And yes... that game messing up the search results... grr
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In general, I think it's better to resurrect a thread than start a new one on the same topic. Whilst I have to admit that I'd rather some threads stayed dead :shock: there are many more that contain valuable information that can be reasonably added to, even years later.

As for indexing....

There are a few indexed threads. It's also worth checking 'too good to lose' when looking for something.

As for the story game.... I like it :P

If it's a problem in searches, people can always use an external search engine and leave off the Tea Shop viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91384#p832066
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:If it's a problem in searches, people can always use an external search engine and leave off the Tea Shop viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91384#p832066

Or click "Advanced Search" and deselect The Tea Shop (in Firefox-based browsers, click Does Anyone Know...?, then Shift+End, then hold Ctrl and click The Tea Shop), rather than telling the Googopoly more about you.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vorpal wrote:If it's a problem in searches, people can always use an external search engine and leave off the Tea Shop

Unless the post you want to find is in the Tea Shop :wink: .
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:When I read the thread title I was expecting a request to close the Three Word Story Game and delete it (and it's predecessors) from the record :lol: . That would certainly help users of the search engine.
I fully agree, this can be a real nuisance to many people, mea culpa (amongst others!) :oops:

Would it be feasible to move the 3WS to a sub-forum beneath the Tea Shop? So that people can uncheck it when doing a search?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

Post by gaz »

The great one's have listened: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=93809

:D :D :D