How text gets rendered on the forum

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
horizon

How text gets rendered on the forum

Post by horizon »

Over the 7+ years I've been reading the forum, like most people I've gone through various computers, operating systems, monitors and browsers and different editions of said browsers. The way the text appears on the screen has as a consequence changed. AIUI, the way text is in fact presented has also changed from Greyscale to Direct Write and Cleartype. The best appeared to be Greyscale in old IE versions in XP. The worst appears to be anything in Vista in FireFox. The worst thing is that the quality of text changes with font size. (The most effective way to get a nicely rendered font seems to be to change viewing size using Ctrl + or - but this doesn't mean that you get the best size even if you get nicer text.)

Board preferences (in User Control panel) BTW still follow the same text rendering even if the design is different.

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed the changes and had established any preferences or favourite settings or even a completely different strategy to give them pleasant and attractive text.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How text gets rendered on the forum

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think I know what you are saying.
Have you tried adjusting the resolution of the screen, more pixels :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, and switching Cleartype on and off. I think the main problem is switching from XP to Vista. I'm going to have another go with resolution though. I had to pick through all the variables first but I think it's Vista that has changed things.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Out of idle curiosity I’d be interested to see a screenshot from Vista. I’m on Windows 7 and it looks fine but IIRC it took some tweaking to get it that way. Does Vista have the Cleartype Text Tuner?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Seems not - I've just checked MS website. I use a CRT monitor so I don't benefit hugely from Cleartype. Nevertheless, it's all different from XP. I might try turning on a couple of old PCs and check that it's not my imagination!
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

horizon wrote:Seems not - I've just checked MS website. I use a CRT monitor so I don't benefit hugely from Cleartype. Nevertheless, it's all different from XP. I might try turning on a couple of old PCs and check that it's not my imagination!

Hmm. Apparently you should definitely have Cleartype turned off if you're using a CRT monitor. I do wonder if Vista and later OSes have basically abandoned attempts to make fonts look good on CRT screens, though, on the basis that everyone should have splashed out on an LCD monitor by now.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never seen any change in the presentation since first joining the forum ..... this is the third re-incarnation of the forum - since 2004.

I've been on Firefox and now I'm on Safari.
The forum appears exactly the same on both browsers.

Also, I often use my iPad Mini, and occasionally Mrs Mick F's Samsung Galaxy. Again, all identical to what I'm reading now.

.............. and always has been.

Maybe it's something to do with my board style preferences?
Subsliver2.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

AIUI the Board styles still have to draw on the underlying fonts and rendering offered by the OS. Apple may have (in fact AIUI have) rendered text differently from Windows and may not have changed that over the years. A good way to check (if it works on Apple) is to use Ctrl + and - to change the screen text size. AFAIK the browser can also change the appearance of text but there seems to be less difference nowadays between FireFox and Explorer.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I certainly noticed the difference in font when I switched from IE to Firefox. I've got used to it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote:A good way to check (if it works on Apple) is to use Ctrl + and - to change the screen text size.
It's CMD + or - to change the screen size.
It doesn't alter anything, just zooms in or out.

Two screenshots:
First is Safari, second is Firefox.
Screen shot 2014-11-22 at 09.42.24.png
Screen shot 2014-11-22 at 09.44.38.png
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

gaz wrote:I certainly noticed the difference in font when I switched from IE to Firefox. I've got used to it.

Well thank goodness for that - I'm not going bonkers. :D

I noticed it then (old IE to Firefox in XP) but this time (switching to Vista from XP) it's alarmingly noticeable. I'm guessing that it's a combination of Vista and Firefox but more particularly with a CRT. I think I've tried all the available settings but tomorrow I'll try out a laptop with Vista and see what happens. I'm certainly unwilling to let go of my CRT.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:
horizon wrote:A good way to check (if it works on Apple) is to use Ctrl + and - to change the screen text size.
It's CMD + or - to change the screen size.
It doesn't alter anything, just zooms in or out.

Two screenshots:
First is Safari, second is Firefox.
Screen shot 2014-11-22 at 09.42.24.png
Screen shot 2014-11-22 at 09.44.38.png

Thanks for that. I reckon that's due either/both to (a) Apple and (b) a flat screen. But it's interesting. I reckon I've just been left behind in the domestic consumer technological arms race. :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I said before, it's the same on my iPad Mini (Apple) and also on Mrs Mick F's Samsung Galaxy (Android).
I think it's more to do with your board preferences rather than the device.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I have been left behind too.
I once spent £5000 on a cd.................
My CRT cost £ 1350 and you needed a hoist to move it 100 Ibs :?
Then a LCD was over £ 3000.
Now that LCD is just over £ 100..........

Not kept up with latest stuff as short of funds but need a new computer yesterday, such that I need two computers at the moment , one to send and receive emails and one to surf.............

I just dont like changing when what I buy lacks all the stuff that I need and get used too, I suppose it depends what you use a computer for and how deep you go.........

OH I dont use bold type on here because I cant tell the difference......barely...........
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I have been left behind too.
I once spent £5000 on a CD.................
My CRT cost £ 1350 and you needed a hoist to move it 100 Ibs :?
Then a LCD was over £ 3000.
Now that LCD is just over £ 100..........

Not kept up with latest stuff as short of funds but need a new computer yesterday, such that I need two computers at the moment , one to send and receive emails and one to surf.............

I just dont like changing when what I buy lacks all the stuff that I need and get used too, I suppose it depends what you use a computer for and how deep you go.........

OH I dont use bold type on here because I cant tell the difference......