What to do if item/seller on forum doesn't seem legit?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Sooper8

What to do if item/seller on forum doesn't seem legit?

Post by Sooper8 »

Is there a reporting system for the classifieds section on this forum?

If so, I can't find it.

Sometimes it is very hard to just outright make a call on a seller/item , actually on that thread. Indeed a person could be wrong.

Is it just a case of buyer beware? I'd feel pretty bad though if i got a whiff of a bad seller, not flagged it and then someone else got taken in. I'd also feel really bad if I called out a member who was selling and I was wrong...

Is there any other way?
mjr

Re: What to do if item/seller on forum doesn't seem legit?

Post by mjr »

There's a report button to the left of the quote button, top right of each post, at least as it looks to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Using the report button will notify the next forum staff who log in
Attachments
report button.jpg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks- I didn't see that
Graham

Post by Graham »

Enquiries under way : slow progress : difficult to gather any significant evidence or indications in this case.
irc

Post by irc »

Personally anything I've bought off this forum has been from long time users. No issues. If I want to buy stuff from people I know nothing about with the attendant risk then I can use Ebay.

Not that I've had issues with Ebay purchases either but I only tend to make small buys there. The only full bike I've bought was cash on pickup. Not that that prevented me missing a couple of irritating faults when I checked it. :-(
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Currently on a deal, where I send money and the seller sends item. I'm just a little wary of this.Is there an alternative?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Escrow services, where a company holds the money and runs the arbitration if there's a dispute. Skrill used to have one, charging something like 1%. No idea if they still do or if it's any good.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was going to suggest an escrow service . This is a third party, who holds the funds from the buyer until the goods have been shipped and received. The funds are released to the seller once the buyer is happy, or refunded to the buyer if the seller agrees that the sale has been aborted. If there is a dispute, the escrow provider can assign a referee to investigate and distribute the funds as appropriate, though this service will often involve additional charges.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom